tuscl

post stripping success

K
New Jersey
Another thread sparked my thoughts on this. I know the stereotype. I know many , perhaps most dancers do not move onto successful careers.
How many do I know had success after stripping. I'm only counting those I have confidence are true. Some continued to dance part time and some gave it up entirely when they graduated college. All quit dancing completely within a few years.

I know one civil engineer that danced her way to her degree.
Two nurses.
One real estate agent/Landlord.
A physician's assistant
A pharmacist
An eye Doctor -
Two accountants, one of them a CPA
A professional pilot
Several teachers
A college professor.

That's all I can think of for now. It is enough to convince me that dancers are not destined to a life of menial jobs. Anyone else have similar success stories?

23 comments

• san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    In the John Hubner book about the Mitchell Bros, one of their early dancers went on to complete UC Davis Medical School, and is a practicing doctor.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    You know a lot of dancers and a lot about their lives
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    It depends how you define "success", I guess. Most of the ex-strippers I know are unsuccessful by any standard, although after a period of time I end up losing touch with them, and maybe they turn things around. But I know two who are arguably successful: one who got married, has kids, and is now an elementary school teacher (Yes! just like a cliche!). The other has a job in an organization that manages properties, and is doing fine ... not exactly rich doing that, but it's enough to keep her afloat and independent, and she's happy with the other aspects of her life
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    :)

One was going to nursing school. Another wanted to be a kindergarten teacher, but she was going to cosmetology school. Another was going to graphics design school. Another was going to a trade school and is now a cable installer with Comcast.

But our strip clubs here are softer core. So there are lines most of the girls still have not crossed.

SJG
  • K
    8 years ago
    papi_chulo
    I've been doing this hobby for getting close to 40 years. I do know many dancers and know a fair bit about some of their lives.
    I had a long term civilian relationship with the civil engineer. I had professional relationships with the pilot, one of the nurses and the eye doctor. My friend met the accountant in a club and married her a few years later. I was at their house just a few days ago for a party. There were at least 10 former strippers there with their husbands and children. I have developed some friendships with dancers and one of my best friends was a DJ in a club.
  • K
    8 years ago
    Subraman

I am convinced the majority do not go on to successful professional careers. They make too many poor choices.

A different thread made me wonder if all dancers are doomed. I found that depressing so I thought about those I know to see if I could convince myself that they are not doomed. they can have a good life, if they make good decisions and act on them.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I have been in the strip club game for a fraction of the time that you have so I really can't give a good comparison. Most of the girls I know have gone the opposite direction in life than the others you have mentioned.

I know of two right now that I strongly feel have their act together and will come out successful. One quit being a teacher and became a stripper in Vegas - so she did it backwards. Her plan is to earn a bunch of money and live frugal in the meantime - then go back to being a teacher once she had enough money to pay for a nice house.

Now - I think a lot of the success of these women depends on where they are dancing. If they are high up on the stripper hotness scale and work in a big city earring high dollars they probably have a better chance at making their dreams in the professional world a reality, versus a stripper who grew up in a low income home working some dumpy strip club off some random interstate exit out in the middle of nowhere.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    One would assume if they got their act fairly together while being dancers than they can go on to do ok post-dancing - but if their lives are a mess while being dancers then one would think their lives would be a mess post-dancing.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    K: I'm impressed in the quality and quantity of dancers you know who quit the biz! That's certainly not been my experience. Maybe I just hang out with the stupid sluts.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    +1 to rockstar.

The only one I know that's out of the game and successful became a webcam model. I don't think that's the type of success we are talking about.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    "... K: I'm impressed in the quality and quantity of dancers you know who quit the biz! That's certainly not been my experience. Maybe I just hang out with the stupid sluts ..."

Maybe it was K's influence and guidance that ultimately led to their success

• K
    8 years ago
    papi_chulo
    i do take credit for some of them. My money paid many term bills.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
  • K
    8 years ago
    Another thing to point out is that while I know 10 or 20 success stories, that is out of literally thousands I have met. For each success I know several that ended up addicted to drugs, turning tricks, while on some form of public assistance or bouncing from one menial minimum wage job to another. The pages here are filled with such stories. I find them depressing. The OP was my attempt to cheer myself up a bit.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    ^^^ makes more sense - so you're just pointing out the 3% that made it.

I wonder if you went back to high school, interviewed each person in your class, I wonder how many of them became "successful?" Of course we all have different definitions of success and I doubt even a small group on here could establish a benchmark.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    I can only think of one for sure. She put herself through USC(Carolina) while stripping at Columbia Platinum Plus in Columbia. Then she got tenure at USC. I asked her what classes she teaches and she said Public Speaking and Theater. Last I heard, she was teaching at Clemson.
  • bubba267
    8 years ago
    My favorite at Baby Dolls saved up her money and opened a small used car dealership. She was smart as well as driven
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Nice!
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I know one who got her Masters degree. I don't remember her major. She owned investment properties, too. So I'd say she was a success.
  • mrrock
    8 years ago
    I don't know any ex strippers. Lol
  • traveler2019
    8 years ago
    IN 2000 I met a stripper that was married to a cop. She was about 30 and an amazingly smart woman. I found out about four years later that she was named the outstanding law graduate in a Western State and is now a practicing lawyer.
    Unfortunately she also put on twenty pounds.
  • traveler2019
    8 years ago
    I also just met a 40 year old dancer that was very smart and beautiful. She left her job as an elementary school teacher after 15 years; to become a dancer. Guess which pays better.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I've met a few ex-strippers that have becomes successful strip-club bartenders
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion