tuscl

OT: Any one been to France ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Saturday, June 4, 2016 4:05 PM
South Beach (Miami Beach) gets lots of tourists of course and many European tourists. I been sitting by the window of a Starbucks in South Beach most of the afternoon looking at the honeys walk by many scantily dressed (been surfing TUSCL/web on my laptop and trying to write a review or two but keep understandably getting distracted). Anyway - had a young (early 20s) French guy ask me if he could charge his ph using my laptop's USB and I said sure (he was trying to get an Uber to take him and his 2 friends to the airport - said he was flying back home today). Friendly guy - we spoke a bit while his ph charged - says he loves Miami and wants to move here - said the people are very friendly which IMO is not the case for the most-part but I explained to him South Beach is not really Miami and is a tourist area so people are more chill than in the city. Anyway - he said he loves Miami and everyone he's met has been very nice - he said people here talk to you and carry a conversation whereas in France people pretty-much tell you to fuck-off if you try to engage them in convo. Anyone been to France - what was your take on the French? I always thought it was us Americans that were the rude ones.

22 comments

• jackslash
    8 years ago
    The French have an attitude, no doubt. They feel the universe revolves around France. (Don't they know it revolves around the USA?) The French value culture, writing, art, wine, and fine food. They work a 35 hour week. They want to live a good life, and not work themselves to death. I spent a month in Paris a couple years ago, and I had a great time. The French I met ranged from very friendly to very snotty. But they definitely have a different attitude toward life than Americans.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    I've have run into French-Canadians several times while vacationing in Acapulco and at Niagara Falls and found them to be extremely rude.
  • culvercityboy
    8 years ago
    jackslash's take is what i remember from my month all over the country. If you make an effort to respect local customs and the culture, then you'll have few problems. A simple "pardon", "c'est vu ple" and "merci" goes a long way. Just remember that there is no age limit on the nude beaches and grandma enjoys the sun too.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Not planning to go to France - just wanted people's take w.r.t. French people.
  • MrDeuce
    8 years ago
    I've spent several weeks in France over the years and have no problem with the French. They're quite nice if you at least *try* to speak some French and don't just assume that the whole world should speak English. Just remember to say "si vous plait" if you ask for something over there and "merci" if you get it. By the way, I happen to think that Americans are some of the friendliest of people among the advanced countries -- but then I'm from the Midwest, not one of coasts :)
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Just like here, the personality of every locale is different. Paris has a lot more of the Gallic sense of entitlement than the rest of France. Smaller towns have a lot more tolerance and helpfulness for tourists. Even cities like Arles and Avignon in Provence, and Lyon farther up the Rhone are a lot friendlier. It's very similar to New York City compared to Saratoga NY. That said, Paris is definitely worth a visit. The scale of the museums and public buildings is really incredible. Like an earlier poster said, an attempt at speaking the language is appreciated. BTW, I wholeheartedly recommend the Viking River Cruises. They just do everything well, and because their crews are drawn from all over Europe, English is the standard language on board. Their tour guides were outstanding at every point along the way. I surprised the Captain (French, and the only female captain in the fleet) by greeting her in French (I learned it growing up in Canada). I got the biggest smile of the trip from the normally reserved captain.
  • JamesSD
    8 years ago
    Paris is rude as fuck, but so is NYC. The rest of France is much more friendly.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    ^^^^ I have to somewhat disagree with that. Being a tourist in several cities, I find New Yorkers are much more accommodating to tourists than Boston, Montreal, and DC to name a few. I used to spend a lot of time in Naples, FL (opposite side of Miami) and have had dealings with a lot of French and German tourists and they were always dicks. Keep in mind if they were in Naples chances are they were pretty "well off." I have also spent a little time in the French countryside (just passing through Paris) and there certainly is an arrogance they carry but if you try to fit in the are accommodating. Their jobs are secure and they don't have to work hard so they really don't give a fuck about anything, sometimes that can send a mixed signal. I feel they certainly think they are the best Europe has to offer. Hobbying a lot in Toronto and Montreal, it's amazing the difference between a Canadian and a French-Canadian.
  • K
    8 years ago
    I've been there twice. Never had a problem. Far fewer rude people than New York City. I greeted all in french, mentioned I don't speak French and then asked if they spoke English. This was enough to show I was polite and was not the ugly American tourist. I look forward to going back. As for French Canadians, again, never a problem. Some of the friendliest people I've ever dealt with.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Yes, last time was when I was 11, in 1964 to see my family. French boys shook my hand when I told them I was American, The French were still grateful the G,I,:s showed up and kicked the Nazi"s out. I think they have forgotten
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    The times I've traveled in France I was not impressed with the French attitude, the times I've met them outside France I thought they were even worse. Parisians seem to be particularly bad, which is amusing to me considering how much business they do with tourists. Of course I've met exceptions but in general I avoid France when I go to Europe which is sad because there are many things the country does very well.
  • socrates17
    8 years ago
    Paris is my favorite city in the world (Sydney is 2nd, btw). I'd move there (or Sydney) in a heartbeat if I could afford it and get residence status. The French have always been very nice to me, even the taxi drivers. (Come to think of it, the only place I've been that had noticeably rude taxi drivers was Chicago.) Cultures are different. Going up to a random stranger on the street and starting a conversation (which I do all the time, btw) is common in the US, Canada and, especially, Australia. It isn't that the French are rude, it's just that they're not accustomed to the same level of openness. In a lot of cultures you have to be introduced to someone before having a relaxed chinwag. But it's all a matter of perspective. The Danes think the Swedes are really reserved and uptight and the Swedes think the Danes are wild, drunken party people. Having spent a lot of time in both countries, I can see where those stereotypes started, but neither is fair. I've also lived in the Far East and East Asian cultures think all Europeans are very undignified. Within East Asia, the South Koreans tend to be more reserved than the Chinese, but everybody's friendly once you get to know them (and v.v.).
  • likes2look
    8 years ago
    mikey, not all of them have forgotten. I was in France last January. While waiting for a bus outside the cemetery at Omaha beach a middle aged woman picked me up and insisted on taking me all the way back to Bayeux as a token of gratitude for what my grandfathers generation had done. She would take gas money or anything for her trouble. To address Papi's question, in to 10 days or so I was in the country i did the best I could speaking some very bad French. Everyone seemed nice and accommodating. I was traveling in the more rural areas and avoided the biggest cities if that makes a difference. I didn't really try to get into conversations as my very basic travelers French wasn't up to the task. I would go back but probably in a month that offers more sunshine.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    A better question is how is the sex in the French brothel
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    French, German, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Scotland, England I find their woman Soooo fuckin hot
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    France ? I take it or leave it. Never been to Paris but I've heard how rude they are there, that said London isn't over-friendly but then there is a high proportion of non-English people living there - not that it makes much difference as some of the rudest people I have ever met are English Londoners. The French don't have a lot of love for American's but you're in good company because they hate us, that's the thanks we get for liberating their country.
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    Like people from anywhere, the French people include the very rude, mildly irritating, boooooring, and nice. As mentioned by JamesSD, Paris has an unbelievably large concentration of self worshiping, obnoxious, rude locals. But Paris is now further "enhanced" by a visible and vocal crowd of immigrant Middle Eastern Muslims with a very "bossy" attitude. Add in the recent flooding, and even Parisians Avoid Paris! Elsewhere, I think the reputation of "rude French" is more about language and social norms that behavior. Some of the nicest women I have ever met are from the South of France. I know a wonderful old expat from Champagne, who claim he would be there still if his daughter hadn't married that rude American!. If have visited several places in Europe and I often hear complaints of Parisians or Berliners as rude and Spanish as having the worst behaved kids. What I usually hear about Americans is how we keep leaving money laying around when we leave how we don't know their language (whatever language that is), and how overweight we are. I think - generally - Americans who can afford travel to Europe, either for business or pleasure, are usually more careful of the impressions of others while there than traveling Europeans.
  • socrates17
    8 years ago
    Regarding European tourists in the U.S., this is the experience of only 1 person (me) but in a number of trips to national parks during "shoulder season" (it's cheaper) sometimes I'd run into far more Europeans and East Asians than Americans (who were more likely to go at high season). Foreign tourists met at, say, Bryce Canyon or Big Bend were invariably nice. Regarding how tourists behave in other countries, I worked in hotels in various international cities and local staff shared their opinions of how different nationalities behaved as tourists. Americans were always considered to be nice, if a bit clueless. ("How much is this in dollars?") The tourists (and tour groups, especially) who were the most dreaded in other countries were the Germans. I write that as someone who has spent a lot of time in Germany (which has the best brothels in Europe bar none, and it's completely legal) and who always found the Germans very nice on their own turf.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    I would second the notion that for most part tourists visiting the U.S. are generally nice. There was a time I practically had a home in the Orlando airport. Nearly weekly flights. It was full of Europeans and they always were gracious and polite to me. The only complaint I hear about the Euros and Canadians is non-tipping.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    When a large group of us were skiing on the French-Swiss border, we stayed in a small French mountain town. Our hosts, a French lady and her Canadian husband, along with their staff were very nice and took great care of us in our hotel. Outside in the town, the French people were boorish and rude. I only bought a souvenir in one store as the clerk was nice to me. I speak French but with an obvious American accent. Some were nicer to me when I spoke to them, but the overwhelming majority were rude.
  • rentz2
    8 years ago
    Yes, I have been to France and even lived there for a short time. I love France and found the people to be very nice.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    Some people in France were friendly but many were very rude. And actually the first person that I spoke to in France was the biggest asshole I've ever dealt with. Overall I'd say the reputation of the French for being rude assholes is well deserved but as with all stereotypes there are exceptions.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion