tuscl

As a stripper I've spent two decades naked, and this is what I learnt

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:15 AM

13 comments

• rockstar666
    8 years ago
    She sounds like a frequent SW contributor. Who's fault is it she didn't "develop other interests"? Coming from a privileged background, I'm sure she could have gone to college, even while dancing (the irony here is not lost on me). But instead she dances for no particular reason other than rebellion. And 20 years later now says it left a void in her life? Looks like she got a book deal out of it too. Women like this annoy me more than the true airhead dancer who had no opportunity for higher education, or get a book deal. What a cunt.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    I actually thought the piece was pretty thoughtful and balanced. How many guys on this site refer to dancers as "hos" or "prostitutes". Doesn't this smack of the very societal judgment that she talks about? She doesn't claim that the profession is one sided. She only claims, probably correctly, that she rationalized what she did as empowering and that looking back, she sees a bit more clearly.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    I don't have any interest in the book but I thought the write up was very articulate and thoughtful.
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    Yes, even PLs can be "judgemental." OTOH, "socially acceptable" is a rapidly moving target. Just 20 years ago people like the Kardashian women (and Daddy Jenner) would have been roundly condemned. Their wardrobe choices would NOT have been seen on TV, and certainly not on any "Red Carpet." Just 20 years ago, virtually all strip club dancers were "look - don't touch." Today, any visitor to any mall in America will see a number of young women dressed like a fantasy street corner hooker. Today, it is totally acceptable for Hollywood stars to attend televised award shows in see through gowns while obviously not wearing underwear. Today, those same stars are expected to appear on screen totally naked and participate in sexual behaviors (in movies NOT rated "X"). Today, dancers in strip clubs are more than willing to grind on a guy's lap, knowing an LDK is possible/likely/intended even if they do not offer extras. And today, all of that is accepted in the social mainstream. What will be acceptable to society tomorrow?
  • Lone_Wolf
    8 years ago
    Well written article. I tend to believe strippers have an exaggerated view of a stigma against strippers.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    My hope is that old men fucking 18 year women p will soon become a socially accepted norm. I'm certainly doing my part to make it happen.
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    Oh- I got my mine but not you can't get yours. What a self centered piece of shit. Now that she has aged out she gets an epiphany? Sounds like narcissist coming to terms with the limitations of that disorder. Three years and out might be interesting but twenty and out sounds like a justification. Just because it was well written does mean that it is worthwhile.
  • minnow
    8 years ago
    RE, last sentence: "I don't think it can ever be unequivocally empowering when it places the pleasure of men above the equality of women." Bingo, rockstar666. Did it ever occur to her that many men wouldn't be spending the kind of money they do if they didn't feel like they were being pleasured ?
  • bkkruined
    8 years ago
    unequivocally empowering? Kinda like, it's not fair!!!! Boo @#$*ing Hoo. It put the pleasure of men above the Equality of Women? It did what every #@!$* job does, it put the pleasure of the customer above the equality of the service worker. My high school stint at McDonald's wasn't "unequivocally empowering" either. Think I can get a book deal out of it? Or do I not know enough big words because my parents didn't send me to private boarding schools and I did get the job for the money, which I needed.
  • ellocohombre
    8 years ago
    Learned is the word,not learnt.
  • yndy
    8 years ago
    She says she started dancing in New Zealand. Book is published in Australia. It's a British spelling: [view link]
  • JamesSD
    8 years ago
    I was prepared to hate the article, but for the most part it seemed pretty fair handed. It wasn't just a dried up old stripper bitching about the industry she aged out of. BUT I did find her comment toward the end about male dominated society judging women a little off. In my experience it's women who slut shame the worst.
  • PastaWithLink
    8 years ago
    Women have to keep their own pecking order in shape, too. It's that kind of dynamic that hits in junior high and never lets up. Guys will bash it out on the field or elsewhere and let the status ladder readjust as it will.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion