tuscl

Are there a lot of gay oil field workers?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
WILLISTON, N.D. – In the wake of the city’s decision to separate exotic dancing from drinking by the end of next week, the owner of Williston’s last remaining strip club says he will turn the business into a gathering spot for the LGBT community.

“We’re just going to relinquish our cabaret license,” said Jarod Holbrook of Heartbreakers.

Topless dancers will perform at the club until May 6, after which Holbrook plans to shut down and re-open in mid-May as a gay and lesbian bar.

Plans for the metamorphosis were finalized after Tuesday’s Williston City Commission meeting, where Heartbreakers’ request to continue to operate as a strip club for a year while adjusting to new regulations was nixed by officials.

Grounds for the denial came from new ordinances passed in January that pushed strip clubs into industrial zones and banned the sale of alcohol at such establishments. Following a public hearing and unanimous vote, confusion over whether the new guidelines allowed clubs a subsequent year of operation with both dancing and alcohol service was compounded by a letter sent from the city in February that set a deadline of 90 days for Heartbreakers to surrender either its cabaret or alcohol license.

This week, despite objections from the bar’s attorney, the commission stood by the letter, saying an ordinance banning the combination of exotic dancing and alcohol went into effect immediately after it was passed in the winter.

Holbrook’s reaction was to reinvent.

“We have had a huge response from the gay and lesbian community,” he said, adding that the idea for the bar’s transformation came from “hundreds” of people reaching out.

The business will likely be the only one of its kind in the region, and Holbrook is hoping for suggestions on events, music and even a new name for the bar from the community he plans to serve.

“We’re going to welcome people to come in and talk to us,” he said.

Heartbreakers, one of the city’s two strip clubs, operated on Main Street for about five years alongside Whispers, which featured topless dancers for more than a decade before switching to a sports bar theme after the ordinance change this winter. It is reportedly intending to change its name to “The Penalty Box”.

Now, Holbrook, who said most of his current employees will soon no longer have jobs, feels a dramatic overhaul is the only way to survive.

“For us to try to compete with the other establishments in town, we have nothing new to offer,” he said.

14 comments

• crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Wouldnt surprise me
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    1. This is fucking stupid. You have a bunch of guys away from home working in oil fields and you are denying them alcohol and titties together. Unless there's been a lot of fighting or damage to adjacent properties let it go.

2. This may be a case of what some truckers do. There's been studies by long hall truckers stopping at rest stops and fucking each other. When they were confronted and asked if they thought they were "gay" most unanimously said "no, I'm just fucking this guy because there aren't any women around." Yeah, brilliant.

3. SJG is moving to North Dakota next week after reading this - he'll be known now as NDG
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    To answer the titular question (Do you guys know how long I've waited to use that pun?), I doubt there's much gaiety there given the state of the oil business these days.
  • mmdv26
    8 years ago
    There's a lot of lingo in the oil field that could be applicable to gay guys. How about "drilling mud". Or "Blow out", and if the boss walks in unexpectedly, he might be a "blow out preventer". "Tool pusher" is sorta descriptive.Well,......the list goes on: "hey buddy wanna frack?"

• JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    I wish I hadn't read the part about truckers. Im going to be carrying from now on every time Im at a truck stop.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    To each their own, if he wants to attract LGBT, more power to him.
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    I tried to get a job in the oil industry, but I was too crude.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Farmerart once told me his secret for picking up strippers....

He tells them "Oil workers drill deeper"

...or maybe it was just his bank roll
  • Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    Seems like a very odd jump - from strip club to gay bar. I understand the points made regarding male sex - but I wonder if any of those guys would visit a gay bar?
  • impala
    8 years ago
    I have a large client base that is oil field related, and spend much of my time with natural gas drillers and pipeline workers. This article gives us two questions we need to address:
    - Are there an unproportionate number of oil field workers that are gay?
    - Why would a locality, knowing that there is a customer base away from wives and girlfriends separate alcohol and strippers.

Now, the first question is easy, from what I have seen, the gay ratio to strait seams like anywhere else.

On to the second question, why would an area take such steps, and the answer is actually very simple. In much of America that gas & oil development is rather new (within the past 25 years), oil field workers are generally seen as a rather rowdy bunch and generally not welcome by the general population (and that there are outsiders comming into their cummunities with lots of money that they are not use to seeing). Many think if you take away their "places of sin" they will leave. I personally have had locals in gas areas tell me that the worse thing that ever happened to them was when the gas workers move into their communities (of coarse, this is as they got into their new SUV that they paid for with gas company lease money).
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    It's very hard to make North Dakato more unattractive as a place to visit than it already is. But I've got to hand it to these city leaders. They accomplished that seemingly impossible task.
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    Could it possibly be, that the aggrieved strip club owner was threatening the clearly conservative city leaders when he asserted he was converting his establishment into a gathering place for homosexuals?
  • georgmicrodong
    8 years ago
    @dallas702: That was my first thought as well.

"If you won't let me have strippers, I'll be a gathering place for all the *other* people you hate. Federally *protected* people. Fuck you."
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    I'll concur with what georgmicrodong just said.... although I don't see why they just don't open shop in the unincorporated boondocks away from Williston and screw the city fathers out of their taxes altogether. Crap, my understanding is that the boom is already out of there as oil prices are down (for the moment)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion