tuscl

Do you club or live in bad neighborhoods?

28 comments

• san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    :)

I know people with ankle monitors. One in particular, he's not a bad guy, but there are some crossed wires in his head, but mostly it just seems to be the crazy life he's been subjected to. And as far as what he originally did, it was not much. No one actually harmed to any significant extent. Too much made of it, compared to all the passage of time and all that this guy has suffered.

SJG
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    I used to live illegally in the hood with a friend
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    illegally?

What do you mean?

SJG
  • DaOnion
    9 years ago
    If you call it a neighborhood and not a hood, it can't be that bad. Most places I've been to have been in industrial areas or strip mall areas and not too shady.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I live in a senior citizens community of 155 homes. No adult businesses in the whole damn county.
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    My first house I owned was on Detroit's East side. A trip through my neighborhood on foot asked for certain death. My neighbours were great people. The people on the side streets, fageddaboutit !!
  • Bend7
    9 years ago
    I would club in bad neighborhood. (Generally club put lights, cameras etc to make sure that its safe)
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Some of the clubs in Detroit could be considered to be in bad neighborhoods. :) Just use your street smarts, you'll probably survive.
  • clubdude
    9 years ago
    If you look like a victim, you'll become a victim. Jackslash, stop taking pictures of my cleaners!
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Biff & Muffy generally do not want a strip club on their cul-de-sac. Soccer is pretty boring and the kids might get curious.
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    I live in a very nice residential neighborhood. Conversely, most clubs I visit are in either commercial zones or very bad residential areas. This is all as it should be. I have young children and as much as I enjoy clubs, I don't want them in my back yard. I would even be among those fighting tooth and nail to keep one from opening near my house as I just don't want it in my kids' faces, for a variety of reasons. The hypocrisy of this is not lost on me, nor is the blatant selfishness as I don't seem to be equally concerned about less fortunate people's kids being exposed to it, but there it is.
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    My club is in Detroit, but not one of the really bad parts.

I live in a nice suburb now. I've lived all over Detroit throughout my youth. NEVER the east side. Never east of Woodward, never more south than 6 mile, and never more west than Schaeffer (if I remember correctly). Almost all were shitty hoods, except the house my mom still owns now (although her next door neighbor's house got shot up last summer).
  • Dominic77
    9 years ago
    I grew up in a nice suburb that was near a red light district. Seeing the clubs and other establishments (and prostitutes on the streets) did pique my curiousity as a teeneager, so I understand people not wanting to raise children near that. I probably would not have started clubbing only days after my eighteenth birthday had the nude clubs not been so close and visible to me.

Now I leave in a suburb in leafy parks with quiet neighbors who roll up the carpets at 7 each night. It's pretty quiet and tranquil. The only "trouble makers" are some home renters here and there. Most of the neighborhood are home owners and are very nice people whom I talk with regularly when I walk the dogs or play with the dogs in the wooded park areas. I like that we still have "woods" to play in.

The clubs around though are kept pretty "clean" my local police and vice. Which probably makes them "tame" by TUSCL standards. But I'm OK with the compromise. I'm not pleased with some of the ill secondary effects the seedy strip clubs can bring. But the clean ones nearby do not bother me. Some of them you can't even tell are SCs from the outside, which is ideal.
  • Tiredtraveler
    9 years ago
    the best clubs in Detroit are actually in the the surrounding towns like inkster etc.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure. I live in a house (by myself YOUNG BUCKS FTW), but I live RIGHT across the street from the hood. So do I live in a bad neighborhood or do I just live in the hood?
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I used to live in the richest ghetto in the world: Hyde Park in Chicago. It was an enclave of white people surrounded by poor black people. It was safe during the day but at night you'd have to stay on well lit streets if you were walking.
  • bvino
    9 years ago
    The neighborhood (or Hood for the delicately differential) was not too bad but I could not get a pizza or a newspaper delivered. My apt. was broken into three times but they never stole anything as I didn't have anything to steal. They did take my toaster once. I got chased home once by thuginnes (young skinny thugs) but I out ran em' and then threatened to shoot. The surrounding area was littered with street people and nightwalkers. I really do not miss that area but it was fun while I was (young) there.
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    I'm in a nice residential neighborhood. No clubs in my town - or the three neighboring towns either. Most conveniences are within walking distance - except for the clubs.
  • DaOnion
    9 years ago
    Bvino, I can't believe somebody stole your toaster! Crazy. Also, not being able to get a pizza delivered to you is shocking. Growing up in suburbia, that's such a foreign concept to me. Glad you survived it and got out of there.
  • larryfisherman
    9 years ago
    I live in a not so good area in LA. I would like to move to a better area in LA, but shit gets expensive in LA. As far as clubbing, I club all over LA. When I lived in Detroit I was in the hood, like Vince said, you have to have street smarts.
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    9 years ago
    I grew up in bad neighborhoods throughout my youth in South Georgia. My mother was an alcoholic (still is actually) and my father was a crackhead and drug dealer. Had a gun pointed at me on three separate occasions. I lost both my older brother and older sister to gun violence. Drug dealers and hustlers were a regular occurrence. Break-ins and burglary was common. Couldn't even get a pizza delivered because the pizza guys were afraid that they were going to be robbed. Shit was really gritty in the late 80's and 1990's. I do not miss that environment.

I still club in bad neighborhoods though. I got enough street sense to not put myself into harm's way. I mostly visit all black clubs and many of them are in black neighborhoods or in heavily industrialized areas.

• pensionking
    9 years ago
    Do I live in a bad neighborhood -- NO
    Have I clubbed in bad neighborhoods -- almost always -- that's where the good ones are.

Nominees for scariest neigborhoods:
    San Francisco tenderloin
    LAX
    Gary, IN
    Harvey, IL
    Brooklyn, IL
    Detroit, MI
    and the winner is . . .
    Washington Park, IL

Where is the "scariest" area you've ever clubbed??
  • RandomMember
    9 years ago
    I live in a upscale custom-home community and take my SB into our guest room on a regular basis. Her club is in a moderately scary part of town where there has been at least one 2-AMer.

Off topic, Rockstars post about Hyde Park made me think about other good schools in scary neighborhoods. Among them:
    Columbia
    USC
    Johns Hopkins
    U Chicago
    Yale?
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I never thought I lived in a bad neighborhood but I remember a story about hearing about an escaped convict killer loose in the neighborhood when I was young. My mother was cutting meat with a butcher knife and the doorbell rang. She had blood dripping down the knife onto her hand. There was a stranger at the door, he took one look at her and took off. My neighborhood was perfectly safe with my relatives around. I did find snakes every day when I was young. My mother said she swept tarantulas up every day because they would crawl all over the roof and then fall off. I almost stepped on an alligator in the back yard one day. I felt safe. My relatives also had an arsenal. I once played with all the bullets in one of my dresser drawers but I was told not to try to hit the bullets against the road. I was only maybe 5 or 10. It was a safe neighborhood we lived in.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    I used to visit The Stonewall Lounge, Treasure Island, The Trap, Mint, Rolexxx, and Bottom's Up in the Hialeah/Miami areas. Papi can attest that they aren't in upscale areas at all.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I live in a mixed working-class/middle-class neighborhood where for the most-part it’s ok to walk the streets at night – but most of the black clubs I visit are usually at-best sorta safe to drive-into and out-of.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    The suburb I live in is nice and has been rated highly by Money Magazine as a great place to live. As for the 3 main clubs I go to, 2 are right off the Interstate and 1 is at the edge of a small town, which itself is only a mile off the Interstate. Most of the ones I ever went to are either at the edge of town, often in an industrial park, or in a small town. There's really only two I ever went to in a bad neighborhood.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion