tuscl

OT: Late Night Stephen Colbert

Lone_Wolf
Arizona
Any predictions if the new Late Night with Stephen Colbert will be a hit with viewers?

I think Colbert is a comedic genius and the Colbert Report was some of the best TV comedy ever. I'm hopeful his brand of comedy will be embraced but it is geared to a different type of viewer than those that would find Leno funny.

8 comments

• sflguy123
    9 years ago
    I loved the Daily Show but never really got into Colbert. He was funny but since he was playing a character on his show it turned me off.

I guess now he will be himself. I think Fallon and Kimmell will be tough competition.

I stopped watching Letterman years and years ago. I loved him when he followed Carson with Larry Bud Melvin, Chris Elliot and View Mail but he became a cranky old man to me.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I've given up on late night TV. Letterman was indeed a cranky old man that was not funny. Jimmy Fallon can be funny but even after a year he's so nervous and uncomfortable, I can't watch him. When I go to bed, I listed to sports talk radio instead.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Donald Trump should host a late nite talk show. He is a dam good comedian
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Colbert is a comic genius. Hopefully, he will inject new life into the tired old late show format, which hasn't changed since Johnny Carson.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Just like Dennis Miller, Colbert i believe can't make it into mainstream late night. For one, I know he is quite intelligent but his style doesn't bring the laughs unless you are in his niche.

Dennis Miller bombed as a host and even tried one season on Monday Night Football and failed. I suspect the same with Colbert.
  • AnonymousJim
    9 years ago
    I think he'll work if they give him time.

Colbert, I think, can pick up the audience that Conan would have had if NBC had just given him due time. (Honestly, while Conan occasionally has a good bit or two, I think he's lost something in the transition to basic cable.) Colbert's quirky, but he can grow on you if you play along and willing to listen to his side of the story. Many conservatives won't be willing, but so be it.

I think it will be a good mix for the Letterman/Ferguson folks who are used to turning on CBS and I think he'll draw a healthy crowd from the folks who used to watch Comedy Central, but haven't quite turned onto Larry Wilmore's panel format and would rather follow Colbert than try and pick up the new Daily Show.

I get the impression Colbert is going to be kind of sly, smart, witty and intelligent, in New York sort of way. There's a place for that now. Fallon is kind of more giggly, light, harmless fare, Kimmel is a little lowbrow and Conan is uneven at best. Colbert will put out a solid, smart, snappy show that you want to see every night. I'm kind of looking forward to it.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    I'd rather read TUSCL than watch most any TV. Other than sports, most TV bores me.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ True!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion