Dancer profiles are now available! Free VIP for dancers, apply now. More info

Advertisement
Front Room

Favorite Comedy Movies

motorhead
motorhead1106928

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

11 yrs ago · 1 min read

The thread about "The Princess Bride" got me thinking about funny movies. We have some very witty people here are TUSCL, but we all seem to have different sense of humor. I'd like to get a taste of what you guys think is funny. Just off the top of my head, here are my favorites. I probably left out a few.

The Seven Year Itch It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Animal House The Blues Brothers National Lampoon's Vacation Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

but the all-time winner, by a wide margin is Airplane!

Replies (64)Latest

Profile picture for GoVikings
GoVikings
•

Clerks is the first that comes to mind

S
Supremeruler
•

Anchorman(the first one) Due date Step brothers Superbad Pineapple express The other guys Wedding crashers

S
Supremeruler
•

40 year old virgin

Profile picture for twentyfive
twentyfive
•

Some Like It Hot with Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtiss & Jack Lemon The Odd Couple With Walter Matthau & Jack Lemon The Sunshine Boys with George Burns & Walter Mathew almost anything written by Neil Simon

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

Local Hero

Profile picture for Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
•

Almost all of Will Farrell movies (Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, Old School) Hangover Tommy Boy The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy version) Blues Brothers National Lampoon's Vacation Friday Happy Gilmore Dumb and Dumber (the original one)

Profile picture for Dougster
Dougster
•

Blazing Saddles Quest for the Holy Grail

Profile picture for Dougster
Dougster
•

Super Troopers

Profile picture for shadowcat
shadowcat
•

Most of the American Pie movies Road Trip Porky's Christmas Vacation Harlem Nights Old School Revenge of the Nerds

Profile picture for georgmicrodong
georgmicrodong
•

Spaceballs (best meta scene ever) Support Your Local Sheriff The Princess Bride (natch)

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

The In-Laws Office Space Lost in America Fierce Creatures Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Caddyshack

Profile picture for Meursault
Meursault
•

Gotta agree with Rech; Big Lebowski

Also: Dr. Strangelove Raising Arizona Office Space

Profile picture for JohnSmith69
JohnSmith69
•

Blazing Saddles (maybe the only time I've ever agreed with Dougster on anything) Life of Brian Animal House.

Maybe slightly off topic, but the Broadway play Book of Mormon was also hilarious (assuming that you're not a Mormon).

Profile picture for JohnSmith69
JohnSmith69
•

And yeah Airplane definitely goes towards the top of the list.

Profile picture for warhawks
warhawks
•

Caddy shack. Dodge ball The Jerk Joe Dirt Coming to Anerica Trading Places Back to School Animal House Austin Power movies Zoolander Office Space Blazing Saddles (classic)

Profile picture for shadowcat
shadowcat
•

I see lots posts for Animal House. It was good but American Pie Beta House is much funnier in my opinion.

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

Might be because when Animal House came out, there had never been anything like it before. Same with Blazing Saddles. I don't think its shock humor has nearly the impact it did at first.

Profile picture for bigman226
bigman226
•

The Jerk The Man with 2 Brains Stripes Harlem Nights Boomerang Stir Crazy Silver Streak

Profile picture for ATACdawg
ATACdawg
•

My favorites, no particular order:

The Princess Bride National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation " " European Vacation Space balls Robin Hood Men in Tights The Producers Blazing Saddles Police Academy The Out of Towner's (Original version)

Profile picture for tumblingdice
tumblingdice
•

Shadowcat's divorce or Obama's inauguration.

Profile picture for ATACdawg
ATACdawg
•

Oh! Almost forgot:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Dr. Strange love Revenge of the Pink Panther

Profile picture for mikeya02
mikeya02
•

In addition to the classics above I would add The Three Amigos and Young Frankenstien

I probably laughed most at Ed Woods cult classic---Plan 9 From Outer Space

Profile picture for jackslash
jackslash
•

The Producers (original 1967 version) The Naked Gun Play It Again, Sam Annie Hall

Profile picture for minnow
minnow
•

My faves across the years, in rough chronological order:

It's A Mad Mad World Blazing Saddles Monty Python- Holy Grail Animal House Airplane 1941 Caddyshack Monty Python Meaning of Life Planes Trains and Automobiles Dumb and Dumber Naked Gun 33 1/3 The Final Insult Horrible Bosses

For honorable mention, for not being the Lmao kind, but 3 antiwar clasics from the 60's and 70's: Dr. Strangelove, MAS*H (the movie), and Catch22.

S
Supremeruler
•

^horrible bosses was funny too.

Profile picture for Dougster
Dougster
•

Almost forgot; some of the Police Academies

Profile picture for snowtime
snowtime
•

Animal House would be far and away my favorite, but I don't see a lot of movies anymore. Caddyshack and Back to School were also good. My best friend thinks Used Cars was the best, but I only liked a few of the scenes.

Profile picture for motorhead
motorhead
•

I forgot about Silver Streak. I loved Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. The restroom scene with Wilder trying to be black was among the funniest laugh out scenes in movie history.

Profile picture for rh48hr
rh48hr
•

Many have already been said but for me in no particular order

Coming to America The Naked Gun Dragnet (Dan Ackroyd and Tom Hanks) Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison Beverly Hills Cop Trading Places 48 hours Blazing Saddles Spaceballs Johnny Dangerously Harlem Nights

Many of you have listed some hilarious movies, the criteria for mine was if it is on tv even though I've seen it a million times will I still watch it. And for all of the above the answer is yes for me. and as a matter of fact Blazing Saddles and Johnny Dangerously are on this weekend and I'll be watching both. Lol

Profile picture for 440viking
440viking
•

A few of the previously mentioned and............................................................. my favorites that weren't mentioned.

Ruthless People I Love You To Death Snatch Quick Change

Profile picture for 440viking
440viking
•

OK, A fish Called Wanda too.

Profile picture for mikeya02
mikeya02
•

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid Amazon Women On The Moon

Profile picture for Mr_O
Mr_O
•

motorhead,

Another easy question for me, Mad Mad. Just look at the list...

Spencer Tracy Milton Berle Sid Caesar Buddy Hackett Ethel Merman Mickey Rooney Dick Shawn Phil Silvers Terry-Thomas Jonathan Winters Edie Adams Dorothy Provine Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson Jim Backus Joe E. Brown William Demarest Andy Devine Peter Falk Norman Fell Buster Keaton Don Knotts Zasu Pitts Carl Reiner Arnold Stang The Three Stooges Jimmy Durante Morey Amsterdam Jack Benny Larry Fine Moe Howard Jerry Lewis

Profile picture for rh48hr
rh48hr
•

One I forgot.

You don't mess with the Zohan. stupid movie but I find it hilarious.

Profile picture for rockstar666
rockstar666
•

Monty Python And The Holy Grail and Caddyshack are the two best comedies ever made IMHO. Honorable mention to Blazing Saddles.

Profile picture for rockstar666
rockstar666
•

Arnold Stang! Mr_O and I must be the only two people who even know who he is!!

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

If a huge cast of stars plus hours of car chases equaled funny, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World would talke comedy gold. And 1941 would take silver.

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

One that I forgot: "Egermency! Egermency! Please to get from street!"

Profile picture for Dancer_
Dancer_
•

Old French comedies starring Pierre Richard and Louis de Funes. "Some like it hot".

Profile picture for shadowcat
shadowcat
•

I saw it's a Mad mad mad world while I was stationed in Japan in 1964. I particularly like it because it was filmed in around my home town of Long Beach CA.

I had a 42 year career in air transportation. Airplane was required viewing for all employees. :)

Profile picture for ATACdawg
ATACdawg
•

My gosh, Mikey! How could I have left Amazon Women on the Moon off of my list? I should also have included Search for the Holy Grail as well.

Profile picture for magicrat
magicrat
•

O Brother Where Art Thou The Birdcage

Profile picture for ATACdawg
ATACdawg
•

Chandler:

The movie you mention was "The Russians are Coming! The Russians are coming!"

The line was, "Emerrrrgency! Emerrrrgency! Everybody to get from street!" A very funny movie with a very hot blonde as one of the townspeople. I was in college when it came out. A bunch of us went through the dorm chorusing that line.

Profile picture for rh48hr
rh48hr
•

Just found another one I'm watching right now. "I'm gonna get you sucka"

Profile picture for JohnSmith69
JohnSmith69
•

Coming to America is great. Eddie Mirphy is really funny.

Profile picture for PhantomGeek
PhantomGeek
•

Coen Brothers comedies Harold & Kumar Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure Jay & Silent Bob The Brady Bunch parodies Dodgeball Animal House Revenge of the Nerds Airplane! Police Squad! Shaun of the Dead and the occasional classics with The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, and Abbott & Costello

I'm sure there are more -- lots more.

Profile picture for PhantomGeek
PhantomGeek
•

Oh, yeah:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off Sixteen Candles

Profile picture for shadowcat
shadowcat
•

One more - Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Profile picture for metaldude
metaldude
•

Airplane Caddyshack Young Frankenstein Blazing Saddles Throw Momma from the Train Twins Wedding Crashers Animal House 40 year old virgin Raising Arizona There's Something about Mary

Profile picture for magicrat
magicrat
•

Trading Places...maybe a perfect comedy movie!

Profile picture for warhawks
warhawks
•

Seeing some of the comments, I definately forgot the "Naked Gun" movies with Leslie Nielson.
And the "Vacation" movies also.

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

ATACdawg, I hoped someone would remember that. And that's the line Alan Arkin's Russian captain taught his sailors, but some of them repeated it back as "Egermency".

Profile picture for chandler
chandler
•

How about some love for the classics?

It's a Gift -- W.C. Fields Duck Soup -- The Marx Brothers Way Out West -- Laurel & Hardy Bringing Up Baby Sullivan's Travels etc etc

Profile picture for ATACdawg
ATACdawg
•

One more movie that I just remembered!

Paint Your Wagon with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin headlining. Two guys not known for their comedic chops turned in great performances. The scene where the bull runs through the tunnels under the town knocking out the props and causing the whole boomtown to collapse into the earth is a classic. I definitely wouldn't have wanted a "Take two" on that one.

Profile picture for lopaw
lopaw
•

R.I.P.D. (my favorite comedy right now) Bridesmaids The Grand Budapest Hotel Trainwreck Spy Anything Mel Brooks

Profile picture for rh48hr
rh48hr
•

+1 lopaw on Trainwreck. I laughed my ass off at that movie. I haven't done that in awhile.

Profile picture for PhantomGeek
PhantomGeek
•

The first Ghostbusters. Man, how could I forget that classic?

Profile picture for pensionking
pensionking
•

Most comedies do not stand the test of time. I tried to watch some 70s and 80s comedies with my teenaged boys and they thought I was retarded. I can laugh at their humor, but they don't find my "classics" funny at all.

21 Jumpstreet, 40 year old Virgin. and The Hangover all work for us both.

Profile picture for lopaw
lopaw
•

@rh48hr- yeah....Amy Schumer. Either you love her or you hate her.

Profile picture for minnow
minnow
•

There's been many good choices posted here. I'll throw out "Good Morning Vietnam" as another worthy consideration. Although not entirely comedic, whimsical, or lighthearted, it has enough Robin Williams schtick to keep the humor rolling along. "This will not look good on my resume" is one of many RW one-liners.

Profile picture for DivorcedDude
DivorcedDude
•

There's Something About Mary Old School Wedding Crashers The Hangover Caddyshack Big Lebowski

Profile picture for georgebailey
georgebailey
•

Peter Otoole did a comedy called 'my favorite year'. He was brilliant. Anyone remember the bathroom scene?

Profile picture for seaboardrr
seaboardrr
•

Everyone is throwing out some classics and I can't argue with very many of them. I'd have to say my highlight reel would def include:

Monty Python holy grail Airplane Caddy shack Natl lampoon-any of the vacation series Spaceballs Blazing saddle 40yo virgin

And I can't believe there's one no one has mentioned. It is roll in the floor hilarious: My Fellow Americans

If you have never seen it you need to pull it up and watch it tonight.

Profile picture for PhantomGeek
PhantomGeek
•

I forgot all about "My Fellow Americans"! Excellent buddy/road-trip movie. "Hero" with Dustin Hoffman and "Wag the Dog" were also great social commentary comedies.

Join the conversation

Sign in to reply to this discussion.

Advertisement