tuscl

Frank Gifford

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Condolences upon the death of gridiron great former N. Y. Giant hall of famer among the last of the players who played offense & defense sad way to start a new football season. He was one of the first football players to transition from playing to the broadcast booth. He was a classy guy and will be missed

6 comments

• motorhead
    9 years ago
    He was a little before my time as a player. But as a broadcaster he was quite good.

Just like Pat Summerall, he was so good in the broadcast booth, you may not have even known he was an ex-player. Better than many professionals.

Unlike today where the networks hire analysts based on their star quality not their ability.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    This morning on the radio I heard the conversation between Gifford and Cosell when they got the news John Lennon was killed, during a commercial break on the MNF game. Cosell didn't want to mention it as it would have been a distraction to the game and not that important, but Gifford said no, they absolutely had to broadcast the bulletin as his murder was that big a story. Cosell then kind of grunts and accepts Gifford's opinion.

This is ironic, because many of us, and me in particular as a 20 year old musician and Beatles fan, will always remember Cosell's eloquent words, and his apparent appriciation of the gravity of the impact of it on the public, while in reality it was Gifford that made it happen. By telling Cosell it was a "world event" that transcended sports, Cosell did a 180 on the fly with that understanding, so I give him credit as a professional broadcaster to convey what Gifford had said to him even though Cosell didn't agree.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    If you you ever watched him on a MNF you realized that unlike Howard Cosell he knew how to shut up and watch the game
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    Gifford was football royalty and an even more enduring broadcaster. Plus he put up with legendary asshole Howard Cosell seemingly forever.
    However, on this website, we would be remiss not to admire him for being a legendary cocks-man.

Before age 56, he was married twice with a reputation for banging flight attendants and celebs alike (famously including Johnny Carson's second wife). When he wed Kathy Lee in 1986, she was a terrific piece of ass aged 33. Great job -- 23 years his junior!! They remained married until his passing over 28 years later. By an odd coincidence, they share the same birthdate -- August 16.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    FYI, Kathy Lee was a virgin when she married her first hubby at age 22.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^ man she seems like a cunt, but she's aging nicely for the gran-milf fans
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion