tuscl

OT. Windows 10

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Yesterday I received a message from Micro Soft offering me a reservation for a free windows 10 upgrade July 29th. I'm using Windows 7 presently but I'm taking the free upgrade. My computer guru son is making the move too. How about the rest of you?

38 comments

• crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    I am going to upgrade to windows Vista.... just kidding. I am using windows 8. I dont plan on making a change soon
  • EarlTee
    9 years ago
    I have 8.1, which I hate. 10 has to be an improvement, and it's free.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

Man, I HATED windows 8.

Anything has to be an upgrade go that flaming turd of an operating system.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Windows? That's so 1980s. Get a MacBook!
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    It will be interesting to see what Satya Nutella came up with.
  • Experimental
    9 years ago
    Changing operating systems on a several years old computer is silly. Just buy a new one if you want a new OS, it is fairly cheap unless you're a gamer or artist.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Staying with XP on my personal computer. I have a dual boot, but so much doesn't run well or at all on 7. For work I have 7 and it seems ok, but not on my machine with my program usage.
  • IHearVoices
    9 years ago
    I went ahead and signed up. I have 8, so I'm ecstatic that they're bringing the start menu back. I'll check into the other features once it arrives.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Some of you who are up grading definitely want to check your system resources and software requirements. Every version of Windows has offered new bloat, and resource heavy programs just to boot a PC. I'm on a virtual Win7 thru a Linux system -- go Linux
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    What happened to Windows 9 ?
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    My laptop crapped out on me a month or 2 ago and I gave it to my bro whom gave it to one of his IT guys at work.

The IT guy was pretty busy and could not find the source of the issue – I'd given my bro my laptop twice b/f and in those instances his IT guy just went ahead and wiped everything and reloaded everything.

This time around he went ahead and wiped out my laptop and reloaded everything again as he'd done in the past but my laptop was still crapping out – he tried reloading Win-7; then Win-8.1; and still laptop no-bueno – he then went ahead and installed Ubuntu Linux and laptop has been working ever since.

The IT guy said it could be something w/ the BIOS but I took that as a shot in the dark.

It seems techies like Linux but I find it a bit odd having to use “Windows like” apps and I'm still getting used to using Linux.

My laptop is for personal use mostly so not having Windows and its apps is not a biggie but still I was used to using Windows and its apps.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Windows is one of the greatest frauds ever committed on American consumers. It's overpriced, underperforming, buggy, unreliable, crash prone, and takes forever to boot up. I switched to a Mac a few years ago, and I will never go back. I greatly regret all the time that I wasted troubleshooting the various windows computers in my previous life. I almost never spend time troubleshooting a Macintosh computer.
  • rentz2
    9 years ago
    I use a Mac
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    I got 8.1, and I don't like it. Hopefully 10 will be an improvement.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    i'll stick with osx. windows has been pushing trying to get to 10 as quick as poss so they can seem to be on the same level. if i have a need for windows i'll just launch my dual boot xp system on my macbook pro
  • Tiredtraveler
    9 years ago
    Windows 7 until they force me to change.
    Millenial = disaster, XP worked ok, Vista was a disaster, Windows 7 works ok, 8 = garbage , maybe 10 might work. Every other release seems to function adequately.
  • racejeff
    9 years ago
    From what I saw running preview Beta Win10 on MacBook it seems to be a nice improvement over Win8.

Just check system requirements before upgrading
  • mjx01
    9 years ago
    I've had terrible luck upgrading to new OS'es in the past (usually have had to wipe and start over). Definitely not going to be an early adopter. I will wait at least a little bit to see if the launch goes ok or if shit hits the fan.

I'd rater buy a new PC with W10 preloaded over update.... but my current PCs are more than enough for my needs. If work switches to W10, I'd be more inclined to switch too... but I don't see that happening anytime soon. W7 is getting the job done for now, why fix what ain't broke.
  • jestrite50
    9 years ago
    I got the offer but I wasn't as brave. I also have Windows 7 and am finally getting used to it after about 12 years on Windows 2000XP. I'm nor ready to change yet. I will try windows 10 when you upgrade to Windows 14 XP Professional !
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    @GAC: ha! I do the opposite. Got windows as my primary OS but run Linux in a VM.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    I use the US postal service
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    I wish i could get that free upgrade...but my windows 7 isn't exactly paid for
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    just,

So you're the ONE!
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    Windows 9 was in the works but deemed absolute garbage and not willing to put up on the market. Not sure why they didn't rename Windows 10 to 9 but microsoft is weird. Just like they should have kept 8 on the smatphone
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    All you OSX (Apple) user are giving Apple way too much credit since you're just running a variant of the Open Source Unix-BSD, that Apple straight shamefully took. But because of the Open-Source license they don't have to pay, but they are supposed to contribute any alterations back to the Open-Source community, ya that's never gonna happen...It's embarrassing. Worse than Bill Gates stealing from IBM
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Yeah, an operating system that can run on virtually any pice of crap computer, with any arbitrary combination of peripherals, is a piece of crap.

I'll be upgrading, but probably as a dual boot at first.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    "what happened to Windows 9?"

I read an article that quoted an actual Microsoft employee, and his response to skipping Windows 9 was something like "Windows 8 was so shitty that we skipped to 10, because the number 9 was too closely associated with 8 and we thought people would automatically assume it was shitty as well." Seriously he said that, but in a more eloquent way
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I thought I read the upgrade was only free for a year or some crap like that. Or that support would cost money or somehow they would charge you for the upgrade. I don't trust Microsoft.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    The rule was thumb was to upgrade every two releases and skip the on in between:

Nt4 - good
    Win 2000 - skip
    XP - good
    Vista - skip
    Win 7 - good
    Win 8 - skip

So it's odd they should go to win 10.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Ithink the plan is to automatically install updates on your pc.I hate that idea. The pc reboots or keeps prompting you to reboot to install the updates or the updates are incompatible with an add on. If you're busy using the add on, it screws you over.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I meantwithwin10, plus there will likely be ads popping up or constant reminders to upgrade to something. Although I seem to be already getting nagged to update this or update that.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I need to find out if I use window media center or other popular options win 10 will kill.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    Shark - The download is automatic but you have the option to install or not.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I don't know much how things work. Does windows 8.1 get uninstalled when 10 gets installed? Can i uninstall 10 and restore 8.1?
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Shark, for the "Home" versions of Win 10, so called "important" updates will automatically be downloaded and installed without any action on the user's part, and without any option to modify that behaviour. For "Pro" and "Enterprise" versions, the versions most used by businesses where the users themselves aren't actually responsible for the computer, there will be an option to defer the updates.

That kind of makes sense, in away. Consumers who fail to update regularly don't get security patches and driver updates, the latter of which is probably the number one source of people complaining that Windows is crap.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    ^^^true story. Windows driver updates have been absolutely crazy in the past
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    9 years ago
    A Microsoft executive recently wore a t-shirt that said "Why Windows 10? Because 7 8 9"

But I suspect previous posters have better explanations...
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    I still have copies of 4 older Windows versions:

Windows CE, Windows ME, Windows NT and the compilation of those, Windows CEMENT!!!

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion