tuscl

A Brillant Idea (that will never happen)

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
This is off topic - so feel free to skip. But this is brilliant.

By now, I'm sure you've heard about the massive automobile recall due to allegedly defective air bags. Industry analysts project the cost of the recall to be between $5-$6 billion

They say the bad airbags have caused 6 deaths and about 100 injuries. I wish some researcher who is as cold-hearted as I am would conduct a cost-benefit analysis.

Just dong some thinking outside of the box...I won't bore you with the math, but I calculate we could far better utilize that six billion dollars. Approximately 100 people are killed EACH DAY in motor vehicle accidents. That money could hire about 120,000 additional police officers. I bet they could save more than 6 lives. We could install breathalyzer locks on about 1 out of 4 cars in the U.S. I bet 6 lives PER DAY could be saved.

Off my soap box.

44 comments

• JamesSD
    9 years ago
    Usually recalls are voluntary. They're often about PR and marketing.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    I love numbers post them or pm them to me PLEASE
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Motörhead: "We could install breathalyzer locks on about 1 out of 4 cars in the U.S."

But RickyBoy routine drives home drunk when at the clubs. It's what real men do, after all. You want to stop that? What are you? A fucking pussy?
  • MrBater2010
    9 years ago
    Kind of reminds you of Fight Club????

Rech, Dodge did the same thing Recently with the Jeep Cherokee and their gas tank problems. NTSB bowed to them Jeep hired the head of NTSB after he left. Looks really bad.. So Dodge got their socks sued off in the end and will probably appeal that.

• motorhead
    9 years ago

Rechthaberei,

See my PM about the Pinto crash
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    The math says $200 per recalled car. That's 30,000,000 cars. Seems tho, that only a tiny percentage would actually need fixing, so it does seem like overkill on spending. But you throw in politics and lawsuits and things get mucked up.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    "But RickyBoy routine drives home drunk when at the clubs. It's what real men do, after all. You want to stop that? What are you? A fucking pussy?"

But it's cool when Dugly's ole buddy LMN did it. Right Dugly?
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    In "Fight Club" wasn't Norton's character doing just this job? Determining if recalls were viable economically?
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    But RickyBoy routine drives home drunk when at the clubs. It's what real men do, after all. You want to stop that? What are you? A fucking pussy?
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Lol!
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    Brilliant idea motorhead! ;)
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Via mikey, "But you throw in politics and lawsuits and things get mucked up."

Truer words were never spoken!
  • Tiredtraveler
    9 years ago
    The air bag builder Takata is now rumored to be getting ready to release the specifications for the design that Toyota provided to them as well as test data that shows that the auto makers knew before hand the problem with the airbags an put them in anyway just like Government Motors did with the defective ignition switches.
    I doubt that will ever come to light because if the public found out that the auto makers knowingly put in a deadly defective "safety device" It would cause Toyota to withdraw from the US market. (Toyota has the largest share of the vehicle on the list)
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Tt,

How about the feds force automakers, period?

Cars were much more enjoyable before the nanny state took over the car business and most every other business as well!

Government motto should be, "They are to stupid to take care of themselves."

I say, "natural selection" worked just fine since the beginning of time.
  • ilbbaicnl
    9 years ago
    @Rech you are not making a fair point. Motor is not in any way putting a dollar value on a human life. He is just saying it is stupid not to consider opportunity cost. If we are going to spend a lot of money to save lives, we should spend it to save the MOST lives.
  • ilbbaicnl
    9 years ago
    @Motor I agree with your general idea. The recall MAY make sense if limited to vehicles that are operated in a high-humidity climate, but probably not every fucking vehicle.

I think the main problems of the criminal justice system are poor priorities and bad culture. If they spend the money they get already better, they might not need any more, even allowing for elimination of "crimes" that are really just a money-grab by the government.

The US gov should order the Fed to loan money to Google to finish the development of self-driving car technology ASAP. If Google is as non-evil as they claim, they will only ask for a reasonable profit on the tech, and license it to all car makers. That will prevent a crapload more accident deaths than this huge recall.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion