tuscl

"Happy Humpday"

Who else hates this saying?

26 comments

• skibum609
    9 years ago
    I do because Wednesday is just another workday and is nothing special any longer since the M-F 9-5 work week disappeared along with patriotism long, long ago.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    ^^^I agree... there are no more bankers hours
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Doug,Doug,Doug!Guess what day it is?
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Especially when I work whenever the fuck I want to. Who cares....
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    No tomorrow is Hump Day. I'm going to my favorite club.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Yah Thursday is my hump day usually to. Especially on pay week
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Every day is Hump Day if you're lucky!
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Shit
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

Shut up and show us your tits... lol.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I've always hated that saying, even back when I was elementary school age. Never gone along with this idea of working for the weekend, or going to school for the weekend. Something is wrong that people are just paying dues, or meeting some obligations, so that they can play. Never accepted the work - play dichotomy. Still don't, and have never paid homage to it in anyway.

SJG
  • DoctorPhil
    9 years ago
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    you’ve never had a job have you? fucking societal parasite
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure if @dougster was getting at this aspect, but I've never hired job seekers. People come in with the attitude, "I want a job, I'll give you my time so I can get paid", they are gone as soon as they open their mouth.

Screen out their resumes, screen them out via telephone, if they get into the building, run them right back out.

They have to be people who are working to build a career and it has to serve some purpose beyond just fulfilling societal expectations and getting paid. If not, get rid of them.

This is the most important screening criterion in hiring.

Now when it comes to hiring women, some people feel that screening out bimbos is the most important criterion, screening out those who want to work in a place because of the social opportunities. You can spot them real easily because of their history of job changes, but with no real advancement. You just have to ask them some about the things they've done, and then ask them why they changed jobs, and you can confirm what it says on paper. Typically there were always people pitching for them, trying to get them hired here or there.

Sometimes it is a woman who will appoint herself as the bimbo screener, out of fear that they men might not be vigilant enough.

If they want to work at a strip club, or at Hooters, or at Viet Coffee, fine. But in a serious industrial environment, you cannot have such people. It is not that it is always noses to the grindstone. It is just that you can't allow people to get in who want something other than career building.

So job seekers and social exposure seeker have to be screened out, and heaven forbid any get in, they have to be purged.

You also very very rarely hire anyone who responds to an employment ad. Run the ads sure, you want to collect files of resumes. But I can't say that I have ever seen a case where one of the people who responded was hired, out of companies with thousands of people. Read there resumes, for sure. But always you will see that these are people who do not know what they want. And this only makes sense as they are simply responding to your ad. That is their own business for sure, but you don't hire people like that.

The best ones to hire are the people who initiate contact on their own, and without responding to ads. After this it is the people others recommend and the ones from head hunters.

Not sure if this is why "humpday" thinking is offensive to @dougster. But it for certain is offensive to me.

Weekend Warriors, paycheck seekers, people coming in so they can kill time, no. Do not ever hire such people. Don't keep people who talk like that.

SJG
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    @Dr. Phil: "Social parasite"!! Oh my, that's going to be the name of my next band!! I love it!
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Happy Hump Day, SJG. Another week of changing the world, half gone. You should hire me as deputy, so I can cover your back while you peruse all the local AMPs.
  • DoctorPhil
    9 years ago
    @san_jose_guy, so you have a lot of experience hiring people for actual private sector jobs do you?

color me skeptical (sarcastic understatement)
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Mikeya02, yes I like that idea, someone watching my back. I do intentionally enter lots of conflict situations, though having nothing to do with AMPs.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Dr. Phil, Like I said, we don't hire job seekers. Screening them out is the first order of business.

SJG
  • DoctorPhil
    9 years ago
    @san_jose_guy “we don't hire job seekers”

of course that “we” is the “royal we“ isn’t it? get a job you fucking societal parasite
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    dice: "what day it is?"

Yes, what day is "humpday"?
  • likes2look
    9 years ago
    Somebody has a case of the Mondays
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    SJG - hiring all sorts of people from his moms basement!!!! Do me a favor next time you need to hire a janitor look at Dolfans resume, he's good and unclogging toilets
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Nice "Office Space" reference likes2look
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure what @Dougster was aiming to get at by drawing attention to "humpday". But to me what it has always indicated was people who have a bad faith attitude.

"
    Bad Faith - A lie, especially to the self. Self-deception, the paradox of lying to the self, usually in an attempt to escape the responsibility of being an individual. The extreme example cited by existentialists is, “I was only following orders.” Any denial of free will is an example of bad faith. Sartre believed all moments of Bad Faith (Mauvaise Foi) were self-evident, contradicting many psychologists.
    "

http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/ex_lexic…

Let me try and explain this in a more direct way. The problem with the guy or gal who come in looking for a 'job', is that they are acting like they don't have choices. They are acting like they have to do it. After all, if they didn't have a 'job', then people would look down upon them, and call them names, and their woman would dump them.

So if you let these people get in the front door, they will try and apply this interpretation to everyone, and they won't really be good for much. They will be people who need to be told what to do. And even then, they only do it because they have to. So you can't show tolerance to such persons.

So whether it is I alone, or a collective we, we don't deal with job seekers. No good comes from engaging with them. It goes no where as they just bring trouble. So screening them out has to be the first order of business. Sorry, but the example that always sticks in my mind because these persons are so visible is, the Federal Express Driver.

This is what I see in the 'humpday' expression.

I know that in the UK there is a really pervasive leisure culture of weekend alcohol. It is even stronger than it is in the US. People misconstrue this as a working class. This is a mistake, as to have a working class their has to be class consciousness, and that means pride in one's actual work, not just people who work for the weekends and to drink.

Where I do see this working class consciousness and pride is in immigrants from Mexico. They are the complete opposite of Federal Express Drivers.

@Dougster, what do you see in it and what were you hoping we would talk about?

SJG

Ho Chi Minh
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OC9yKP…
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I don't have to hire as many people now as I used to, because I have largely gone my own way. But I still have to hire some and I still have to help other people do it.

That job seeker attitude, which I see as being indicated by the Humpday expression, is the first thing to screen for.

One start up company I used to work for would run employment ads and say, "Reply to Brian Peters".

So it actually made the ads cost more to say that. And when people called on the phone for Brian Peters, he was always "in a meeting".

When I had to fill a position, I would go thru the Brian Peters file. But never did one of those people get hired. Just reading what they wrote was always enough to disqualify them.

It wasn't so much that their skills may have been out of date. I've never seen that as being too important. What it really was was that these would be people who would need to be told what to do. There would be there because they got paid, and they were contacting us because of the ad, and so they approached everything this way. They did it because they were being directed to. When I did call some of these people on the telephone and ask them about some of the things they listed on their resumes, it was obvious immediately. These were people who just did what they were told. There was zero responsibility, zero looking ahead, zero planning, zero initiative or direction on their part.

That kind of way of living I consider to constitute Bad Faith. You don't ever want to work with or around such people.

Out company put that Brian Peters line in the ads, to tag the applications. But they really didn't need to. The people would write cover letters which referenced the ad text. You could almost see their newpaper inked fingerprints on the letter.

I have never personally been involved in running employment ads, and I wouldn't be, because they are disingenuous. But most companies do run them to try and advertise their name and boost their stock price and to build up folders full of resumes. It protects them against claims of discriminatory employment practices.

Now of course what goes on today with the online job search set ups is even more bogus.

Bolles usually puts stats on that sort of thing in his book:
    http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/…

I still want to hear what the 'humpday' expression means to @Dougster. Not sure if this is related or if he has some completely different idea.

SJG

Bob Seger, from Detroit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVM7yjpb…
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Forty years ago (sounds Lincolnesque, doesn't?) we had a thing called the "Over the Hump Club" of which just about all of us were members. It was held at the Steak and Ale two doors down where happy hour drinks were 2-4-1 on Wednesday afternoons. Luckily, it was a short walk back to my apartment.

We had another thing called the Atlantic Seining Society (A.S.S.) that met one Saturday a month at Hanna Park in Atlantic Beach. We fed about 70 people on the fish we caught off the beach with our 300 foot net. The guy who was president was a guy named Vito Riggi. We dubbed him "The Codfather".
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion