tuscl

Trip Report: Memphis TN

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
The changes in the laws a few years back really seems to have hurt the club scene in Memphis. They are all bikini clubs now. At least two of them have closed and, from what I could see, the others aren't doing so hot.

There were 6 remaining clubs listed on tuscl, but one of them was closed, so I really only had five to choose from. Out of those five, two of them are clearly identified as black clubs, so that realistically reduced my choices down to three.

Below were my experiences from each of the three Memphis clubs that I visited.

Gold Club:
This club was ok. This was my first visit to a Memphis club and while I was definitely not thrilled, the experience was not as bad as some reviewers suggested.

First, the club was fairly large inside and quite comfortable. There is a main stage not far from the entrance, a bar at the opposite end of the club with a satellite stage close by. Long rows of tables line either side of the stage areas. One element that I actually did like was the circle of small lights above each stage, which made the girls a bit more visible than they are in many clubs. The bathrooms are further back behind the bar area and it is always nice when a good, clean bathroom can be found in a strip club.

With respect to the costs, I was charged $8 for the cover and a $10 bottle fee to bring in my bottle of Jack. From there, all I paid for drinks was $5.50 for 2 for 1 bottles of water, which I needed to keep hydrated while drinking the whiskey. I never did get a handle on the cost of LDs. One girl quoted me 2 for $40 during the cattle call special, but I thought that they were normally $20 anyway. Another girl told me that the club does not take a piece of their LD price, so I can only assume that the girls are free to negotiate their own LD prices. I had no interest in a Memphis-style LD, but I did tip a great deal at the bar, which did not seem to earn me much appreciation.

With respect to the girls, the talent was pretty strong. They were all in shape and all but one was pretty. Maybe the dayshift is a different story, which led to some guys on here to make negative comments about the girls, but for a nearly dead Tuesday night I had nothing to complain about on that front.

The only real problem was how dead the club was, which led some of the dancers to leave early. By the time I left at around midnight, the club was down to 7 dancers, many of whom spent much of their time in the dressing room.

Overall, it was not horrible, but I was pretty bored for much of my visit.

Catwalk:
Tuscl identified the club as mixed, but this is really a black club. At the peak, before I left at 11:00, there were 14 dancers and they were all AA. I was the only white customer in the place. Now I have had plenty of fun with AA dancers in my travels over the years, but I am not really a fan of the overweight, big booty types, that were pretty much the offering in this place. There were two who didn't fall into this category, but they arrived only shortly before I was done for the night and were in high demand. I spent most of my time at the club fending off girls that I had zero interest in.

I have mixed feelings in making those statements as there were things that I liked about the visit. I was treated well by the staff, including their willingness to accommodate my desire to watch a game on the tv, and I liked the vibe of the place, but I just wasn't inspired by the talent.

Pony:
I really expected more from this place given all of the hype on here by reviewers.

The talent was a real mixed bag. I did not expect to see chunky asses in this place, but there were more than a few, along with no shortage of pot bellies. There were also some hotties in the mix, but overall this was not the crew I expected on a Friday night in this club, especially after reading all of the reviews. Overall the girls were MUCH hotter over at the Gold Club, which I think is this club's main competition as all of the other Memphis clubs are black. I counted maybe 11 girls - it was really hard to tell as the club's layout is odd, with obstructions and other things that are not line of sight from certain other areas in the club.

A couple of other odds and ends:

1. The music was loud - think Platinum Plus if you have ever been in one of their locations (I know the one in Memphis closed down some time back).

2. There is a bathroom troll, though this doesn't bother me as much as it does some other people. A clean bathroom in a strip club is a nice thing, especially when one has unexpected bathroom needs.

I did enjoy my time at the bar with a very engaging Eastern European girl, and paid her for her efforts, but overall I wished that I had gone to Gold Club instead. From what I gathered when talking to a couple of GC girls, talent has been migrating from Pony to GC due to some pretty onerous cuts that the Pony is taking from dances and VIPs, but I obviously don't know that first hand.

I don't think I will be back to Pony anytime soon.

So, in a nutshell, Memphis was not been a great stop for me. It is not quite as bad as places like Richmond and Little Rock, but it is worse than many other places that I club in. The one highlight was an OTC adventure with a gal picked up from one of the clubs listed above, but that did not completely make up for the lack of general fun in the clubs.

21 comments

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    Nice made up report, RickyBoy. Now a few questions, if you don't mind:

How many bouncers did you get to grease on this trip?

How many managers did you get to stroke?

Did you run The System? If so did you score better than your usual 65% failure rate?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    ^^^ that's 5872 and counting, btw
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Oh, I should also add that I had Chines food delivered to me at the Catwalk, lol, so that I could eat while I watched my game. The staff there was really superb in accommodating me, which is something utterly unexpected in a place that seems so divey. If only the women were better, or at least more my flavor.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Were you wearing the white three piece polyester suit, RickyBoy?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Did you make it to Graceland?
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    "Did you make it to Graceland?"

I was 7 when Elvis died, so no, I did not make it to Graceland. I was subjected to enough Elvis as a kid and if I never hear another tune from him again it will be too soon. ;)
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    I remember going to an "all Elvis" restaurant with my dad. Pictures of The King everywhere, a jukebox with only Elvis tunes, a menu with Elvis's favorite foods (which toward the end of his life was pretty much everything, I guess). Good times!
  • sinclair
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the report. I have not clubbed in Memphis since the regulations changed in January 2012. Bluff City used to be one of the best SC towns in the United States, now it is one of the shittiest. Anyone remember the "Purple Palace" in the mid 2000's?
  • sinclair
    10 years ago
    The one that you noted that closed must have been the Yellow Rose on the southwest side, which was Platinum Rose way before that. When I am in Memphis now, I snag a hot deal for The Peabody off of Priceline, then hit Beale and chase the drunk college tang. It comes out much cheaper, plus Memphis SC's have basically become bars with scantily clad women anyway.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I have fond memories of the Memphis Platinum Plus. I even wrote an article about it a couple of years ago. Now I have a TUSCL buddy that lives there but now drives to Atlanta when he can.
  • rockie
    10 years ago
    Rick: Thanks for the traveling man's view of the Memphis scene today, after the former strip club mecca's political crushing! I've been to Memphis at least 5 times, but never had the opportunity to visit to visit Pure Platinum in its prime. I also never thought Memphis could follow through on anything. What a way to be proven wrong - where it hurts! PP Memphis used to on my bucket list!

motor: I expect better than that from you! Really! Cher and not the original!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK5YGWS5…
  • tobala
    10 years ago
    Question: Is Memphis worse than Chattanooga? Is that even possible?
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    tobala - NO. The only thing Chattanooga has going for it is the Choo Choo. :)
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    This one is for Rick. http://youtu.be/9qy4RWoFg9w
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    rockie,

I considered both. I do enjoy the Marc Cohn original but I think I prefer Cher. Reminds me of the ending of one my favorite X-Files episodes.

http://youtu.be/xCXBSksHusY
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    I had heard the old stories of how good Memphis was once upon a time, but it seemed to be in rough shape when I was there. At least a few clubs closed since the new rules went into effect. The bikini bar format is a killer, along with the fact that the clubs cannot sell hard alcohol. On the upside though, customers can bring their own liquor, which I found to be pretty neat.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    I had heard about the wild Memphis clubs 15 years ago, but I never got the chance to visit them. Now I'm too late.
  • chandler
    10 years ago
    When I was in Memphis in the late 90s, Platinum Plus was kind of a bore and full of ROBs, at least on that night. I had the best time at a really wild, mostly black club called King of Clubs. I heard it got raided and closed down a few years later.
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    Rick,

You say you were 7 when Elvis died. For some reason you've always come across to me as someone much older.

Now as far as your System, that is something designed to bypass the club and get directly to the women via OTC. So you could use that at a no touching place like the Sunnyvale Brass Rail. And in fact, I see people do this. Also, dancers have tried to line me up for OTC, and yes I was wearing a suit, and it is basically a blue collar place.

But for those who want to appreciate the women on site, at least initially, how do these Memphis places do for front room friendliness? Anyone getting really physical with a dancer in the front room? Any rules or protocols against it?

How about at the black clubs?

Memphis is a long way from be, but eventually I plan to be there. When in the South I expect that most of the people I will be seeking to engage with, women and men, will be Black.

SJG

Jeff Healey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Qb-6Qk…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion