tuscl

OT: Rest in Peace, Mr. Spock.

PhantomGeek
North Dakota
Leonard Nimoy, best known as the half-Vulcan Mr. Spock from Star Trek, died of end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was 83.

His Mr. Spock was an inspiration for generations, something that any current and future actors can never hope to achieve, at least in my opinion. He was the One True Spock. All others are just pretenders to his throne.

There was one quote of Spock's that really hit home and I think will resonate well with any number of you: "I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to any question."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/leonard…

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/gallery/wisd…

Live long and prosper, Mr. Nimoy and Mr. Spock.

19 comments

• motorhead
    10 years ago

I never was a Star Trek fan. But my dad liked watching Mission Impossible and can remember him in the TV series for a couple of seasons.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    RIP on your final flight, Science Officer Spock
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    It's like when we lose a Beatle.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    I hope he got to knock boots with Nichelle Nichols
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Nichols, hell yea
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    Great final image of an iconic tv character

Live long and prosper indeed
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I respected his talent as an actor. I enjoyed watching him in Star Trek and went to one of his lectures when he visited ncsu.

Yesterday was a sad day when I heard the news. RIP, Mr. Spock.
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    He gain his notability from a show that only ran 3 seasons for a total of 79 episodes that is still phenomenon today.
    The spawned at least 4 successful live action series, numerous animated shows, many movies and is still going today with new movies 50 years later. I'd bet that here is not a person in this country who has not heard of Leonard Nimoy/Mr Spock. Quite an accomplishment.
    Star Trek and Mr. Spock gave us an optimistic view of the future where mankind not only survived but prospered to meet other races on an equal footing during a troubled time in the sixties. They confronted racial and social issues head on with their story lines. That took balls and is one reason NBC cancelled the show.
    If you were lucky enough to be on the show just try not to be the "crewman" who beamed down with Kirk and Spock cause ya ain't comin back.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Good guy, but I hate Star Trek more than just about anything else.
  • 3LeggedMan
    10 years ago
    You could beam down with Kirk and Spock safely if you don't wear a red uni. I'm just hoping that some has a Genesis planet to leave Spock on.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    One of the many things I don't like about Star Trek or science fiction in general is this whole notion that human are somehow "special" in the Cosmos. Like we are guaranteed to be the #1 species even if others are found. That even if robot can out compute us (some day) there is still that special "something" in us that they will never be able to match. It's a very mystical/non-materialistic/romantic view of things. I guess it's meant to comfort. I don't believe we have any innate advantage over robots. They will be out thinking us very soon. At the same time I don't subscribe to The Matrix/Terminator scenarios where they find a need to be hostile to us (these two movies also add in the theme that humans have that "intangible something" that machines will never touch.)

Do we find a need a to be hostile to dogs even though we are higher up the food chain than them?
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    This talk about Star Trek and humans being special made me think of Alucard and star dust.
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    I love star trek, especially the original episodes. Leonard Nimoy will be missed.

SJG
  • 4got2wipe
    10 years ago
    I loved Star Trek! It was brilliant!

I don't like the newest movies but Nimoy was in them so they can't be all bad! RIP Mr. Spock!
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Star Trek was very forward thinking in their ideas on the show.

Except that they always had the guy in charge, and all top people beam down to a hostile planet or environment. Nowadays that would be like Obama decrying ISIS and esinally going to Syria along with Biden and Hillary and maybe Boss woman Pelosi and engaging in combat. It was fun to watch though.

RIP. Leonard Nimoy.

I also watched him pop up in a tv series In Search Of or something like that I believe.
  • luv_women
    10 years ago
    It's simple. Star Trek was great. Spock was great. To dispute that would be illogical.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    As I stated, I never saw many episodes of Star Trek, but one I am familiar with was the episode where the crew discovered a silicon life form.

This particular episode was discussed in class by one of my old geology professors. Silicon is the second most abundant element in the earth's crust after oxygen. It's more abundant than carbon.

Silicon lies directly below carbon on the periodic table so bring in the same family, their basic chemical properties are similar.

However, Star Trek was by no means the originator of the idea. The idea had been around since the late 1800's.
  • Lone_Wolf
    10 years ago
    RIP. I was impressed by how much he did after ST. He did a lot of directing for major movies.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion