tuscl

Interesting Quote

Was researching a few things and found this quote by a former Seattle Police Detective. Thought I'd share, as it's relevant to a few of the recent threads here:

"Back in the '60s and early '70s, that fear (criminal activity) was largely justified. According to retired SPD narcotics officer David Wilma, prostitution in strip clubs was once fairly common--some girls, Wilma recalls, would turn tricks in the club and take customers to an apartment conveniently located nearby--and Seattle's vice squad did a brisk business busting strippers for prostitution. But as new avenues--such as massage parlors and the Internet--opened up for prostitutes to conduct their business, strip clubs became increasingly superfluous, according to Wilma. Today, he says, while "it doesn't take too much of a leap of faith to imagine some dancers practicing prostitution near the club, it doesn't seem necessary" anymore. Today as then, Wilma says, strip clubs operate with a single purpose: "Separate the sucker from his buck." As for his own area of expertise, Wilma notes that although he handled plenty of drug busts on the narcotics beat, "we saw many more drug deals in Denny's than we did in strip clubs."

Complete article - http://www.thestranger.com/2003-08-21/ci…

5 comments

• Yoda
    20 years ago
    FONDL: Have you ever heard the expression "THE FLEATS IN!"

Been a Patriots fan since they sucked...Go PATS!
  • FONDL
    20 years ago
    This thread reminds me of a funny story. Many year ago I was in the Navy, on a destroyer out of Newport, RI. One summer we went to Europe and steamed around the Mediterranean. Our orders were top secret, so when we left port we were never told where we were going next until we were at sea. But every time we pulled into port, there'd be a bunch of hookers waiting for our arrival. And guess what, they were often a lot of the same ones from tthe last port.

Yoda, I remember the Combat Zone well. I think the closest thing to it that's left is Baltimore's Block. Every city used to have one but now they're all gone. Sort of sad.

BTW, who are you rooting for tomorrow? Go Eagles.
  • Yoda
    20 years ago
    Shadowcat: Huh? Dancers get fired all the time. Drug use, extras, missing too many shifts, fighting, givivng customers a hard time-all will get a dancer fired. A dancer is an "independant contractor" but she still has to abide by the rules of the club that she works in.
  • Yoda
    20 years ago
    Boston's infamous "Combat Zone" was in it's hayday during the 70's and 80's. It was not uncommon for "dancers" to have a room in the area and service customers during their shift. Those days are long gone. Dancers get fired if they leave mid shift or if they are seen leaving with a customer in this day and age. That doesn't mean no dancers are turning tricks but there is a much sharper division between "dancers" and "hookers who dance" nowadays.
  • FONDL
    20 years ago
    Twenty years ago it was pretty common for dancers to go out to the parking lot with customers for fun and games. I don't know anywhere where that happens today. Most clubs will fire any girl who leaves the club during her shift now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion