tuscl

Liberal vs conservative

Monday, February 7, 2005 7:17 AM
I'm not trying to start a political discussion here but one thing really puzzles me and maybe someone can enlighten me. Whenever there are efforts to close down or tighten up rule on strip clubs, seems to me that conservatives always get the blame, and perhaps rightly so. And yet if you look at the country, it seems to me that the most conservative states like FL, TX, KS, IN are the ones that allow the most contact between dancer and customer while the most liberal states like MA allow the least. I don't get it. What am I missing here?

15 comments

• StripShopper
    19 years ago
    FONDL: You need to visit places like TN, VA, and WV...Bible thumping and Snake worship are still the norm. And as far as setting policy....tell that to the would be liquer salesman....A lot of Counties are "Dry"! ....yes even in 2005 a man cannot even get a drink. Another example in WV...in one club acts very similar to a very good club in SC....very liberal policies. But one county over...about 10 miles...the girls can't even take their tops off. Local ordnace....so where do you think all the customers go?
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    StripShopper, I agree with you that extreme right wingers are really annoying, just like the extreme left wingers are. I guess what I'm trying to say is that inspite of all the press that these kooks get and all the noise they make, they really have very little impact on policy. The people in charge almost everywhere may give them lip service but other than that they are pretty much ignored. Which is why they make so much noise I guess. Regardless of how the press mis-reports this stuff, the moderates in the middle are pretty much in control almost everywhere.
  • StripShopper
    19 years ago
    O.K. Being one of the posters that "rant" about conservatives. I need to clarify. I have been surrounded all my life with people who have been brainwashed. Ever heard of a person by the name of "Jerry Fallwell".....ever heard of Larry C. Flynt. [view link] Well...we've all heard the term "Bible Belt"...well I lived at the "Buckle" for many years. Kinda scary...to live among people willing to be instructed on how to "think and respond" about life. Am I against religion....absolutely not!! Am I flaming liberal...absolutely not!! I'm just a GD independent...who revealizes that world is rapidly becoming a very small space. So, I rant about conservatives...whether it be government or religious organizations. The same people who would take our hobby away from us...if they were given the power to do so. I guess that's what's really the issue here...Is that Power being "Flexed" to alter the behavior in a particular club in a particular geographic region? Is it external pressure outside the club? Or is it internal pressure set by the social moral code of individuals within the club?
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    DandyDan, I'm not trying to say that all conservative states have more liberal dance policies than do liberal states, I was trying to point out that there doesn't seem to be any correlation between a state's politics and it's policies regarding strip joints, and if anything there might even be a slight negative correlation. I think that's interesting and runs contrary to some of the ranting I've heard about conservatives elsewhere. You mean there really is a Nebraska?
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    Nebraska is just as conservative as Kansas, but air dances rule, generally. Iowa clubs, especially in Des Moines, have a higher level of contact, but I wouldn't call that a conservative state. In truth, they are just two sides of the same coin.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    Yoda, that's interesting but I haven't found that to be the case at all. The half-dozen or so clubs that I've visited off and on over a long period of time have remained very consistent. For eample, places that allowed boob touching years ago still do, and places that didn't still don't. I don't know if it's local laws or how management chooses to run the place but the rules have remained very consistent in the clubs that I'm most familiar with. And I haven't noticed that much difference from girl to girl either, they all seem to do pretty much the same things in a given club. But of course some are much better at it than others. I guess things are much more fluid in MA and RI but maybe that's because there are sometimes more local restrictions. The only change I've seen is that in PA sometimes the LCB is more vigorous about enforcing their pasties rule and other times they become fairly lax. Ever since we got a Democratic governor they have been much more strict than under the previous Republican administration, which is the point I started this thread with.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    FONDL: I think you would find that contact levels are not written into any by-laws. Most areas that allow contact lap dances do it on an ad-hoc basis and will draw the line at what they consider an act of prostitution. That's where the fun begins. An act of pros. can be something a simple as a dancer grinding on your lap or stradling you. I have found contact levels fluctuate quite a bit in some areas depending on who is in charge at city hall at any given time.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    Sorry, I was interrupted on that last post. Anyway, to finish the thought, the place I was describing was clearly being watched and I don't know if it's still like that. But that's not really what I was asking about in my previous post. There are places scattered around the country that clearly violate the laws that apply to the other places in their area and seem to get away with it, at least for awhile. But I was talking about where the clubs in a city generally allow high contact, meaning that under their current interpretation of local laws high contact is legal. And by "legal" I mean high contact but not extras. Any other places belong on my list of high contact areas?
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    Yoda, I used to spend a lot of time in Mass. on business. It didn't take me long to discover that it was worth the drive to Providence. But Providence, since it's always been run by the "family," is a special case. I actually know of a club in PA that sounds similar to the place you just described, and it isn't in a large city. I don't know how they stay in business. I once wrote a review of that place, describing in a little too much detail what went on there, and within days got an email from LE asking if I would be willing to participate in a conference call discussing their business. I don't write reviews like that anymore.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    FONDL: Be carefull how you use the word "legal". What is legal and what clubs are allowed to get away with are two vastly different things. There is a club in Providence RI that recently built 4 enclosed private booths-with doors, not curtains. The booths have no cameras and the girls have been told they are not being watched by the bouncers when they are in there. Oral sex and full penetration are a regular occurance with some of the girls. I'm pretty sure that neither is legal in the state of RI.
  • Dain
    19 years ago
    Definitely San Francisco. Several of the clubs there are virtual brothels.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    Good answers guys, thanks. Stripshopper, I agree, conservatives and logic don't mix. But then neither do liberals and logic. I think the extremists at both ends of the political spectrum are wackos, in fact I believe that the reason they hate each other so much is because they are so much alike. They each have their own politically-correct mantra and logic be damned. The only people who actuallly think about issues are those in the middle who reject the extreme positions at both ends of the spectrum. And the rest of you are right too, rules change dramatically over time and from town to town. But I find the contrast between states like "liberal" Massachusetts and "conservative" Kansas to be amusing. I guess it just shows how distorted our political definition of those terms have become. Anyway, what places in the country currently allow the most contact (legally)? My impression is that it's Houston, Tampa-Miami-Key West, parts of Kansas, and parts of Indiana. And maybe San Francisco. I've also been to a few areas in the Northeast that had heavy contact but I'm not sure it was actually legal. Any others?
  • lexus300
    19 years ago
    I agree with Yoda. In New Jersey whether a club is topless or not is governed by the ABC-if you serve liquor you cannot be a topless club or you run the risk of lpsing your license. If it is a juice bar or byob you can be or rather topless is tolerated. CD"s etc. seem to vary from town to town as to how much is allowed. The whole point of this is that it is not so much a conservative/liberal issue but rather how the local polticols are feeling the heat. If the press wants to make an issue of it then all of a sudden our hobby feels the heat. If the local polizza and politicols frequent the place( and this shockingly does occur) then all is well. Both liberals and conservatives are always fond of naked ladies dancing.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    I can't speak for the other states but Florida's contact laws vary quite a bit from city to city and the ordinances seem to change regularly. Orlando is striclty air dances. Tampa is full contact, no holds barred one minute-then the ordinance changes and there is a six foot rule in effect. Mass is strictly no-contact on the books but some clubs in some cities have been allowed to push the envelope. Most ordinances that regulate strip clubs are city and county-not state-ordinances. I don't think you can really attach strip club contact levels to weather a state is predominantly conservative or liberal.
  • StripShopper
    19 years ago
    Fondl, in all honesty and with no disrespect....this answer might sound like I'm being a smart ass...but I'm not. Have you ever held a conversation based on Logic with a hardline conservative? If you have...then you know that most conservatives are also living a life of Hypocrisy? I've noticed the same things you have...which just goes to show that the human race has a long way to go. It's O.K. to display death, Violence, War, and distruction on TV.....but heaven forbid...don't show nudity, consensual sex or how loving humans make new people. Friggin backward world... Life is about balance...and you can see that TX, FL, SC have their outlets.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion