tuscl

OT: 99% of mid-term voters clueless about the economic boom!

Sheesh!! No wonder GOP won big.

"there is a sense among voters that the economy continues to struggle: 70 percent rate the country's current economic condition as not good or poor, while 28 percent say the economy is in good condition and only 1 percent calls it excellent."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/…

18 comments

• motorhead
    10 years ago
    Will the economic boom help the real estate market?

Will Obamacare hurt the earning prospects for nurses?

These are things strippers need to know!
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    No wonder the U.S. dollar is so weak!
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Why do 28% say good if the economy is as bad as the consensus here on TUSCL says?

Are you sure the GOP made gains due to the supposedly bad terrible economy and not things like weak foreign policy? Not even sure what the name of thT combo of logical fallacies is.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    And of course if you are trying some sort of disproof by consensus of the man on the street you would have to compare these numbers to what they were at other points in history and show how reliable they are at forecasting the future.

And I see Stevie-girl no baltantlly biased source. Who knows what selection biases etc went into their reporting.

Fox News? Really?
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Maybe we need to look at some "hammurabi" equations... or maybe I was to deep into Asimov's Foundation series...
  • Mate27
    10 years ago
    This was the worst voter turn out % for a mid term election since 1942. There will be many theories as to why, but apathy has set in and whether things are good or bad, the apathetic will never know. All I can tell you is that my economic situation continues to improve as time goes along due to effective planning. I suggest you do the same and give no more than 10% to your favorite club or future nurses to be, then you won't have to give a shit about how the economy is doing.
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    Now we have passed over the critical day, the election. So I know that bad news will becoming out. The Republicans have two years to trash public perception of the economy, in order to get one of their own in the White House.

Does that really mean the economy is bad? No.

Do all the people boosting, like @Dougster have it right, that a boom is coming and so it is good? No.

Booms and busts are meaningless, except for those who engage in speculation and use this further concentrate wealth.

The problem is that our economic system does not work. The reason this is so intensified now is that labor is in gross surplus. We can't continue to demand that people prove they have the ability to 'earn a living'. This is destructive, ecologically unsound, and completely wasteful. There are all sorts of things which need doing, but these are not the types of things which are demanded by money.

Capitalism has set it up like this, and at this point it is a blood sucker.

SJG
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    People are upset about Obama not bringing the change they wanted. They stayed home rather than vote to support him. Republican supporters are still fired up having been losers for several years and fed up with the changes they've seen.
    Meanwhile Obama acts like Lucy with the football and Charlie T
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Charlie Brown would be the republicans if Obama legalizes millions of illegal immigrants so they can vote for more democrats. The Republicans could turn the tide maybe if they can convince illegals that there is more to gain by supporting republicans rather than democrats.

I think the new congress should pass a 6.5 or 7 year plan to legalize illegals if they pay fines that cost more than the cost to come here legally or serve time in the military or arrived here as a kid several years ago and grew up here. The kids who are 16 and up who just came here can go back unless one of their parents has been here for years.
    The cost to come here illegally and break our laws needs to be higher than the legal way to come here. common sense in my opinion.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I heard Obama doesn't really want the duties of the President. Maybe if true it's because it's interfering with his golf game or his families taxpayer paid vacations around the globe. I read the US spends 25 times as much on the Obama's as the UK spends on the royal family.

On the other hand I read Obama doesn't mind pissing off people, democrats included so maybe some bills will get passed in the next two years. Republicans would do good to make all the spending cuts take effect after the presidential election just like the dems did with all their tax increases.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    SJG: "The problem is that our economic system does not work. The reason this is so intensified now is that labor is in gross surplus. We can't continue to demand that people prove they have the ability to 'earn a living'. "

I'm with you on that one. But a couple of things:

As we go forward people are going to see more and more of their income from "unearned" versus "earned" source. I.e. capital gains and dividends will be more important as will investment skills. The financial industry might even benefit more than high in the medium term, but tech will pull ahead in maybe 15-20 years.

I also see societies instituting minimum incomes. People will receive a certain amount of income whether they work or not. Certainly that one won't happen overnight but maybe 15 or so years from now.

Big changes coming to the world. Better hold onto your hat!
  • Mate27
    10 years ago
    "A working class hero is something to be!" -author unknown (not!)
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true.
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    @Dougster, you wrote:

"As we go forward people are going to see more and more of their income from "unearned" versus "earned" source. I.e. capital gains and dividends will be more important as will investment skills. "

What this means then is that an elite will continue to hold the reigns of our R and D and our productive capacity. No democracy could ever survive this way. So in fact then, destitution and fear of the humiliation of destitution are being used to control the populace and to keep everyone in line. What we have is a society which is dependent on maintaining a social hierarchy, and an ideology which legitimates it. This is why we have seen defunding of the public schools and higher education and of all social programs. Of course this is also why there has been a huge expansion of the P4P Sex industry too.

https://sites.google.com/site/sjgportal/
    SJG

Working Class Hero
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-mANen…

Blackmores Night, Under a Violet Moon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZ0tqqL…
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Fox News polls an extremely reliable way to determine how to think.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    DOOMED! Absolutely DOOMED! Because stevie-girl said so!
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    In the US, the typical white person with adult children see their kids having harder lives economically than what they had. This makes both the parent and the child feel frustrated and kinda cheated. The effect of this is seen more in mid-term (and state and local) elections, because the electorate in these elections is whiter.

A Black person told me that socially conservative religious Black people feel like they have no real choice in elections. They feel like Republicans are anti-Black, and Democrats are pro-abortion, which they consider to be murder.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Still 99%? The 99%? what do the 1% think?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion