tuscl

Johnny Cash : first rapper

Friday, October 10, 2014 10:52 AM
I was kind of kidding before, but after seeing the lyrics to " I've Been Everywhere", I think I might be right. Pretty clever rhyming. Forget about memorizing it. [Chorus:] I've been everywhere, man. I've been everywhere, man. Crossed the desert's bare, man. I've breathed the mountain air, man. Of travel I've had my share, man. I've been everywhere. I've been to: Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo, Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer. [Chorus] I've been to: Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa, Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa, Tennessee to Tennesse Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake. [Chorus] I've been to: Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica, Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport, Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina, Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean-a. [Chorus] I've been to: Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado, Larimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chatanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity. [Chorus] (I've been everywhere)

20 comments

• Joker420
    10 years ago
    Juicy johnny cash box...riff !
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Actually, there was an Australian and Uk version before this but they sound like mumbo jumbo. Cash did the American version. [view link]
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Coolest thread ever Mikey. The Australian version was a hoot. Starts slow but stick with it. And play the Indian version. Pretty cool.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Somehow, I ended up on "Legs"!
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I wonder how many of your have ever seen this movie starring Johnny Cash and Andy Griffith. Coweta is the county just west of where I live. [view link]
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Johnny Cash the first rapper? Come on, Mikey. Rappers are drug addicted, violent thugs that dress all in black. Johnny Cash, on the other hand, dressed all in black, was addicted to pills, and shot a man in Reno just to watch him die... Oh, I guess you're right!
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" is, according to some, the first rap song: [view link]
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I always thought that the first rap was "Jimmy Crack Corn"?
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    More proof that it's Dylan. Layin' down the rhymes. This is my favorite Dylan song. (If you look fast you might see some titty) [view link]
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^^ pretty snappy tune
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    And these guys... Memphis Jug Band [view link]
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I guess everything comes full circle. I heard "nigger" at least twice. Just like modern hip hop.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Or was it "nigga"
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Cool how blacks hijacked the word and made it theirs
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    And even in 1929 they were singing about drugs [view link] "cocaine habit blues"
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Yeah, that one cracked me up...."take a whiff on me".....nothing new under the sun lol
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    And even a song about phat ass strippers "move that thang" [view link]
  • Estafador
    10 years ago
    @steve I hope that's a joke. Because that's extremely funny in way or another.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son, Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns. But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry.." --Folsom City Blues
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^^ you know....Cash took a shot of cocaine and shot his woman down, cause he thought he was her daddy but she had five more. This old stuff sure sounds familiar
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion