tuscl

OT: National Toy Hall of Fame

Who will Slip'N Slide into the top two spots to become the latest toys featured in the National Toy Hall of Fame?

Officials at The Strong's National Museum of Play on Monday announced its 12 National Toy Hall of Fame finalists for 2014. The dozen contenders include American Girl dolls, bubbles, Fisher-Price Little People, Hess toy trucks, little green Army men, My Little Pony, the Operation Skill Game, the paper airplane, pots and pans, the Rubik's Cube, Slip'N Slide, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys.

All the classics are already in, so I vote for "little green army men" and "bubbles"

16 comments

• Clubber
    10 years ago
    I sort of liked the Ants and Magnifying Glass Kit.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I looked up the toys already in. It's an interesting list. Shorter than I expected.

Little Green Army Men gets my vote too. (GI JOE is already in).

Hot Wheels are in. But not Matchbox Cars. I played with Matchbox cars long before Hot Wheels came out.

"Ball" didn't make it in til 2009. But the Frisbee made it in in 1998
    Gimme a break. Balls are more important than Frisbees.

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^lol......the Rock Throwing Kit was also pretty popular
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "I vote for "little green army men"

My friends & I had a lot of fun with those as a kid! Still remember the winter we spray painted them white to play "Russo-Finnish War"
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I used to put as many as possible in my Matchbox VW Microbus and launch sneak atracks against the hippies at Berkeley.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I don't know what was nominated, but Lego is the awesomest toy ever. I still get my Mindstorms out occasionally and test robots to take over the world.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    Damn........I saw the title and was thinking some enterprising person finally created a HoF for adult toys.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Toys?........on tuscl? Good Grief!

I must admit that I still have all the Meccano sets from my 1950s childhood. In fact it is the only bit of memorabilia that I have from my childhood.

My elderly, gnarled sausage fingers sure couldn't deal with all those tiny nuts and bolts these days.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    LOL, lopaw!

BTW, my spell check when I enter "lopaw" selects "loose". :-)
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    No lawn darts? What about m80's?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    SS, lawn darts. those were really fun. I doubt they are around any longer. If they were, they would have to be made of foam, have a parachute, and the kids would have to wear full body armor.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Clubber-And we'd probably have to get the ACLU's permission, too.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Slick,

Good one. We had a brand called Jarts, and they were a perennial favorite at summer family gatherings. Good times.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    What about little plastic dinosaurs? Of course they had to fight the little green army men (bazooka guy came in handy), and in the end we had to shoot them all with our Daisy BB guns.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Mikey-I owned a .22 before I got a BB gun. Still had fun with my Daisy.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    @Clubber-
    I fear that spell check knows me all too well ;)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion