tuscl

The Rise and Fall of the Motor City Stripper

To all my fellow Motor City Madmen:

After a rather lame visit to the "D", and visiting the majority of the top-level clubs (Penthouse, Flight Club, Players, and Coliseum) on both the day and night shifts, I was chatting with a gentlemen at the Penthouse and he was approaching AARP status, so he has seen the strip club scene in Detroit for some 30 plus years.

He commented that the quality of the ladies has dropped exponentially with the arrival of "extras" in the Detroit Clubs. I thought long and hard about this, and I guess I would have to agree with him that Alan's business model is busted, the quality of girls is sliding and I am sure that revenues are down. I can remember some amazing nights at the Landing Strip and the 747 (the precursor to Flight Club, Boeing has lots of lawyers), where the sheer number of lookers outnumbered the fuglies. The current trend is spiraling down, and I can't even bear to think that my next visit to Detroit, will probably be to see a movie at an IMAX theater in the evening.

What say you sons of Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band?

16 comments

• steve229
    10 years ago
    "the quality of girls is sliding and I am sure that revenues are down"

I thought someone just said Detroit strip clubs were thriving? So which is it?
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Wait a minute, a guy approaching 50 has 30+ years experience of strip clubs? Was he born in one, or is their nothing else in Detroit for a young man to do?
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    It has often been discussed on the board that looks and extras are often inversely proportional – not that this PL theory is 100% accurate – but it is the widely held opinion of many in the PL community.

Many often site how gorgeous the women were in the more-tame/more-air-dance days of the 80s and 90s – it’s a fair assumption to make that hot to very hot chicks would not mind
    “modeling” (aka air-dancing) but do not feel comfortable w/ groping and more; and thus why many real lookers would not be comfortable w/ or like today’s SC climate. Many lookers may have also moved on to cam work where they are not manhandled or even the sugar-baby route where they can make big bucks off of just one PL.

There are still in certain cities high-end clubs w/ lookers where mileage is low and the eye candy high.

With respect to the Alan model being broken – that is a matter of personal preference – many prefer 7s that will fuck and suck to 9’s that just air-dance.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    "many prefer 7s that will fuck and suck to 9’s that just air-dance"

Very, very true Papi. But the real problem are the 2's, 3's, and 4's that have no business dancing and wouldn't have been seen 20 years ago.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "Many lookers may have also moved on to ... the sugar-baby route where they can make big bucks off of just one PL."

Yeah, those guys are saps
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "But the real problem are the 2's, 3's, and 4's that have no business dancing and wouldn't have been seen 20 years ago"

@motorhead - that's a bold statement
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    :)
  • PredragDr
    10 years ago
    For a large city, Detroit just has a lack of hot women both in the club and in the real world. My theory is the true hot ones get out-of-town as soon as they can.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    I agree that the average hotness of Detroit dancers has declined, not just in the past 30 years but in the past 5. Today fuglies dance in upscale clubs like Penthouse and Flight Club who would never have been hired in past years.

I still see a lot of 8's and 9's, but I see many more 4's and 5's. Their mere presence spoils the club experience.

But I don't think that extras are causing the problem. The most beautiful dancers I know will provide extras. But you have to be willing to pay high prices for them.

I think the decline in the number of beautiful dancers has more to do with the overall economy and the continued job insecurity in the Detroit area. Fewer customers are willing to spend big dollars partying in strip clubs. The clubs are less busy and there is less money to go around. Dancers, whether hot or not, are not making as much money, and neither are the clubs. Since the clubs charge the strippers to dance, they hire more girls--even fat and ugly ones--and make money from the dance fees.

• shailynn
    10 years ago
    Jackslash and paipi have the best theories on this issue.

Camming is a huge issue, look at how many sites there are and how many hot girls are on those sites. Most of those girls would be stripping if it weren't for camming (i.e.) when camming didn't exist just a few years ago. Sugar daddies are big as well. Either that's a world I didn't know existed until 5 years ago or it's something that's more of a new fad. I know it's always been out there but now there's several websites out there to help girls find one...and it's shocking how many guys are willing to pony up several thousand dollars a month enabling a "stripper" to not have to go to work.

Another left field theory, maybe a lot of this girls aren't attractive to older guys. The guy the OP mentioned (mr aarp) probably finds all the tattoos, partial shaved head and body piercings a turn off. I am only in my 30s and I do as well. Who would have ever thought girls would be getting butt implants to make their asses bigger? Everything I mentioned a lot of these strippers want done to their bodies and all of which I personally do not find attractive and I'm betting most older club goers feel similar to me.

I don't think extras has brought down the quality of the girls, take for example when extras were rampant in Houston 10 years ago, I never remember hearing people complain about the quality of those girls, but this is not the first time I've heard someone complain about Detroit girls. Come to think about it, I've never seen a "10" in Detroit. I've seen a "10" in many other cities: Vegas, Dallas, Miami, Toronto, Phoenix, even smaller cities such as Niagara Falls and myrtle beach but not Detroit.

• nickifree
    10 years ago
    Denial is not a river in Egypt.
    You guys seriously can't be thinking that all the extras did not have a huge impact on dancer quality. I'm sure you don't want it to be the case, but it is.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "it's shocking how many guys are willing to pony up several thousand dollars a month enabling a "stripper" to not have to go to work.

What a bunch of losers
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I'm glad I'm not in that group Steve.

Two thousand is not "several thousand", right?
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @mikey: I'm 50+ and I've been going to strip clubs since my 17th birthday. My experience isn't with one city for all of that time though.

On the other hand, I haven't seen what the OP describes. It might be true for Detroit, but as far as my experience goes, girls who put out now are just as attractive as those who put out then. Maybe more so.

Of course, they *do* seem to be getting *younger*.
  • shailynn
    10 years ago
    Shocking as in sugardaddies is correct. Several strippers I have met all over the country told me about this several years ago.

I used to date a stripper that would meet a guy a few times a month and give her money, take her on shopping trips, have her stay with him for the weekend and he would compensate her for not working. She worked in Vegas and would make at least $3,000 on a good weekend so I'm sure he was paying her at least that for a weekend. Thank god for him, high end for her when she was with me was taking her out to eat for sushi! I guess it helped I was a year younger than her and he was 20+ years older than her.

I guess 2-4k a month is chump change to a lot of guys out there. I mean with everyone on this board making 250k a year I'm sure most of you can relate. Bunch of pussies... If you were a baller like me you'd be pulling in 350k a year. I'm not spending any of that on stripper allowance, just lighting cigars with $100 bills, stuffing $20s in garter belts and carrying my garbage bag of $1 bills into the club with pacman jones.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    ^^^^
    Not to mention paying $4,000 month to rent an apartment
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion