tuscl

Founder - is there a reason why the log in procedure was changed?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:03 PM
Before it remembered my password and let me stay logged on. Now I have to type my whole user name and password. More time consuming and not as simple.

24 comments

• samsung1
    10 years ago
    What Web browser do you use? I use Google Chrome and it saves my info but I have to hit the log in button instead of automatically being logged in.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Yeah, I was wondering if it was just my computer, looks like it's not
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    ?? I use an iPhone. I had to re-log in last night for some reason. But I still stay logged in. Did you check the "remember me" box.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I'm no longer seeing a "remember me" box.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    you guys know what you have to do
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I checked it last night when I had to log in. But now I'm afraid to log out to check it. Lol.
  • founder
    10 years ago
    There is no remember me box anymore, because current browsers should remember your log in information (rather than tuscl storing it in a cookie). Just like none of us want to see dancers past their prime, no one wants a website from last century. Gotta move forward, gentlemen. Make sure your browsers are up to date.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    My log-in has remained in tact. I tested it just now by logging off. I didn't have to do anything different to log on again. My web browser (not TUSCL) asked me if it wanted to remember my password.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    No problem here. Chrome.
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    Mine is working fine. I haven't had any problems.
  • .juicebox69
    10 years ago
    Mine keeps saying invalid passwards lol
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I have all my desktop browsers set not to save history and login information anyway, so I've always had to log in every time, even if I check the flag. My phone is the only one that stays logged in.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    not being a computer guru got me. I new my browser was up to date but I talked to my computer expert (my son) and it was simply a matter of changing settings. As he pointed out, now anyone can come into my house and log on to TUSCL using my info. Since I don't give a shit about my TUSCL account getting hacked, that is OK but I'm not going to do the same with my banking accounts.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I stayed logged in on my iPad. My pc I log in every time.
  • Duke69
    10 years ago
    You dont ?
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    The browser on my iPad hasn't changed in years. I think the software has Problems on certain sites with video. Facebook and a few other sites crash in seconds on my iPad.
  • joker44
    10 years ago
    For those who do not want to store logins on a browser another solution is to use a password manager. You only need to remember one strong password -- to the password manager. For other logins - TUSCL, bank, etc. - you can have the manager create unique passwords for each login, then erase the passwords stored in your browser. The best so far is Lastpass: [view link] The desktop app is free but for $12/year you can upgrade to premium which allows you to share your data with just about any mobile platform: IOS, android, etc. using Lastpass mobile apps. What's important is that the unique encryption key is stored on your device NOT on the Lastpass site. All data transferred to/from and stored on their site is ENCRYPTED. So Lastpass employees, a hacker, or the NSA only sees gobbledygook not readable plain text. You also can use the built-in Lastpass browser and Lastpass keyboard to sign in to their site and your data avoiding the potential for OS keyboards/apps 'remembering' your master pw. You can also save/scan in important information such as receipts, insurance documents, home items inventory, credit card info, etc. All saved as encrypted data and available on your mobile devices. Here's a link to a review by Steve Gibson on a Security Now broadcast from several years ago. It's a two hour broadcast but the Lastpass review begins after minute 52. It begins with a review of what makes a strong password, technical but quite understandable. Then Steve tells us what makes Lastpass so good: [view link]
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @joker: You should have just said "Steve Gibson likes Lastpass." Could've saved yourself a lot if typing. :)
  • joker44
    10 years ago
    gmd, lol. Figured only the techno nerds would know him! And they'd already know about Lastpass.
  • 4oureyes
    10 years ago
    Mmm. Browsers have had this capability for years, but I've been teaching people to never ever use it. For tuscl it doesn't really matter, but I really don't ever, ever want my browser to remember critical websites. I don't even want it to offer. Frankly, I think it's far safer to store it in a cookie for those websites that I want to stay logged in on and typing it in by hand on those websites where there are financial effects or significant PII. I disagree that leaving the cookie out is more "modern." Or maybe it's more "modern," if by that you mean "worse." Last century websites are sometimes better, last decade websites almost always are. I wish the UX "experts" that are responsible for perpetrating Windows 8, Unity, Gnome 3, Firefox 4+, etc. would switch to a better quality of drugs. The ones they're currently taking have completely screwed up most newer user interfaces.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Silk doesn't require me to relogin but Safari, Chrome, and IE do. I don't have much sympathy for Founder's attitude. If customers are overwhelming not using Silk it his job to accommodate them, not for them to find a way to use Silk.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    The other browsers have been able to stay logged in off and on over the history of the site. Currently they can't. I wonder if it actually has to do with SSL caching or some attempts to optimize without just beefing up the hardware.
  • rentz2
    10 years ago
    I am now in the same boat. It keeps asking me to log in. Annoying as fuck
  • san_jose_guy
    10 years ago
    Founder, two small points: 1. Google still finds TUSCL, but Bing does not. Bing used to find it, but now it just finds sites which give web stats about TUSCL, not TUSCL itself. 2. It would be better if we could view Articles by the date of the last comment, instead of by the date they were originally posted. We can do this now with Discussions and it is good. We should have that for Articles as well. Articles are supposed to be about things of longer term interest anyway. SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion