tuscl

A blast from the past.

Clubber
Florida
This evening I was driving and heard a song I hadn't heard in nearly 40 years. It was a shock to my system and memories (many good and some very bad) came flooding back.

A little history. I was married in the early 70's. After about 5 months of marriage, I had to go out of town for work for 2 1/2 months. I had yet to become fully "married" and still was on the lookout for a "mate". I met this lady at a regular club who was also married. She told me she was married, but I didn't tell her I was. Typical male, I guess. We hit is off. He had dinner a few time and met for drinks and such. She would always meet me out somewhere since I couldn't pick her up at her home. She had many sad stories about her marriage and husband.

This went on for nearly a month. One evening we were at my place and a song came on the radio, a George Harrison tune. It was one I liked and mentioned that to her. After it was over, she said it was her song to me. That proceeded a conversation about the future. She wanted me to take her away from the life she had, and home with me. There were obvious problems with this for me.

Anyway, I ended it in a not so nice way and returned home. Now this woman knew my real name, who I worked for, and where I lived. I had nightmares for months waiting on a knock on our door. Never happened.

Now the sort of point of this story is to ask if anyone has an idea of the song that played? The first correct answer will win an all expense paid trip (including club costs) to the Detroit meet up, as long as the "winner" makes all the arrangements and covers the cost.

Any ideas!

15 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps is what I would guess
  • sinclair
    10 years ago
    My Sweet Lord?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Lyin' eyes?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    I heard a couple of blasts from the past I had totally forgotten just recently - Alice's Restaurant and American Storm. Can find the latter at all on Spotify or iTunes.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Here Comes the Sun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1AesMf…

This is obviously the correct answer. I can't wait for my all expenses paid trip to Detroit.
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    So you left me at Cliffs Edge....did your wife ever find out ???? Are you still married ????
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    I'm going to guess "Something" since my first guess ("My Sweet Lord") is already taken.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Sinclair got it.

I found that a bit creepy, however. I still love the tune. I hope you enjoy your trip. :)

jest,

She didn't find out and nearing 47 years together.
  • sinclair
    10 years ago
    I figured that was GH's most popular single from that era. Thanks for sharing the story, Clubber.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    sin,

Funny how a song can trigger such "lost" memories after so long a time. Our brain is an amazing creation.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Every old album or song I've remembered is on Youtube. Makes me happy to hear something I forgot about for 40 years.
  • dallas702
    10 years ago
    My scary, sacred tune is "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. She was an athletic college girl with a wicked sexy streak and a rich daddy. We spent many nights with the Moody Blues, "Days of future past" album on my 8-track (continuous loop). Every time "Nights" played she got horny all over again.

A few years later my wife bought the album and would sometimes play it at night. I was in constant fear that I would wake to "Nights in White Satin" and speak the wrong name - but I couldn't help wanting to hear it again!
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    dallas,

Sounds like the sweetie was before your wife, but perhaps not?
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Wasn't there some serious copyright issue with 'My Sweet Lord'? Didn't Harrison have to cut a huge cheque to make the issue go away?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    fa,

Correct. “He’s So Fine”, written by Ronnie Mack, sung by the Chiffons.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion