tuscl

Heartbreakers in Columbia SC finally closing.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
After years of legal wrangling, the strip club Heartbreakers will close March 8. The Midlands' two premier strip clubs, Heartbreakers and Platinum Plus, which are owned by the same company, have been out of compliance with Richland County's zoning laws since 2008. But under the terms of a deal brokered in 2012, the county is allowing Platinum Plus to remain open at its current Jacob Road location. Council cut the deal to prevent the strip clubs' owner from opening a strip club near Williams-Brice Stadium, where he had purchased a property that met county zoning requirements for a strip club. According to attorney Harry Heizer, who represents the clubs, Heartbreakers staff won't be laid off; instead, they'll move to Platinum West, a strip club opening soon on Old Dunbar Road in West Columbia. The strip of buildings that houses Heartbreakers — as well as a former lingerie store and an office — is for sale. Heizer also confirms that the property near the stadium has been placed under a deed restriction that prevents any sexually oriented businesses from occupying it now or in the future. Richland County Councilman Seth Rose, whose district includes the stretch of Bush River Road on which Heartbreakers is located, welcomed the news that the club will close. He's been trying to shut down the club since he took office in 2011, citing complaints from residents. “This is huge and I am very excited,” Rose wrote in a letter to constituents in the area. “This will not only help spur even more economic growth on the parts of Bush River Road I represent but is a major win for the neighborhoods and property values in the area.” - See more at: http://www.free-times.com/blogs/020714-h…

4 comments

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I'm heartbroken.
  • snowtime
    11 years ago
    Based on my observation of the area, it will take a lot more than the closing of Heartbreakers to improve Bush River road area.
  • sofaking87
    11 years ago
    Once again, government is keeping small, and medium sized businesses from growing.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I can imagine a bunch of empty buildings in an area that looks like an industrial area. Someone would have to raise local taxes and do a lot of construction to improve anything. Someone on city council just hated the fact there was a strip club there. I wouldn't mind if they had relocated farther west along i26. not as far for me to travel if I ever return. One of the dancers I believe has been working up in Greenville.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion