tuscl

16 Houston strip clubs will soon go back to topless ways

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:06 AM
HOUSTON – The City of Houston has struck a deal with 16 strip clubs within city limits in an agreement that's going to cost one million dollars a year. Dancers at those clubs will now be allowed to perform topless in exchange for that annual payment. The city has required Houston strippers to wear pasties and cover up since 1997. The agreement ends years of litigation. “We're a topless club, and we're going to offer topless entertainment,” said attorney Casey Wallace. “I know it will do good. These 16 clubs are going to give a million dollars every year. This isn't a one-time punch.” The money will be used to create and staff a human trafficking unit within the Houston Police Department. Mayor Annise Parker and other city leaders spoke publicly at a Wednesday news conference. Parker said she believed the settlement allows the city to address a big problem. “Establishing a working relationship with these 16 clubs will assist law enforcement in reducing criminal activity, help us combat human trafficking, and hopefully, allow us to focus police resources on the rogue clubs,” said Mayor Annise Parker. The clubs have also agreed to eliminate their private rooms, hire only those who want to work voluntarily and not hire dancers who have convicted of prostitution or drug charges in the past five years. The eased restrictions only apply to the 16 clubs that existed before 1997. Any sexually oriented business which opened after that date will still have to adhere to tighter rules.

10 comments

• grand1511
    11 years ago
    Houston horn dogs got something to be thankful for today!
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Hooray for nipples.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Sounds like government extortion to me.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    ^^^+1
  • Sowhatt
    11 years ago
    Clubs have also agreed to eliminate their private rooms? Sounds terrible to me.
  • Ermita_Nights
    11 years ago
    Extortion. Does anyone really believe that strip clubs have anything to do with human trafficking?
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    I agree with sowhatt... no private rooms seems like a bad outcome
  • rl27
    11 years ago
    Exactly Government extortion. Plain and simple. I hope someone sues the city of Houston for this, because I would hate to see this spread across the country.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    No private rooms? What about privacy?
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    Rather have pasties and private rooms.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion