tuscl

"I'm sexy and I know it." :)

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:52 AM
Elvis Presley may forever be known as the king of rock n' roll, and a new survey helps point to one of the reason's why; the Southern accent has been voted the most sexy in North America, according to online matchmakers [view link]. In a questionnaire released by the dating website, 36.5 percent of the 2,000 men and women surveyed said those from the South have by far the most attractive accent in the U.S. and Canada. And winner of the most unattractive twang? Mid-Atlantic accents, from states such as Pennsylvania and Delaware, are the country's least favorite, garnering only four percent of votes. In between the two — New Yorkers came in second with 16.5 percent of votes, Western accents third with 13 percent, New England fourth with 10.5 percent and the New Jersey accent won fifth place with seven percent of votes.

19 comments

• rockstar666
    11 years ago
    The only accent-less people are those of us from the Midwest. We have no accent at all outside of some pockets in the cities according to "those who study these things". I wish 'no accent' was in the survey. I may be even sexier than I think I am!
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    Fuck yeah we do!
  • duomaxwell
    11 years ago
    I love Boston accents, personally.
  • Ermita_Nights
    11 years ago
    "Accent" is not a relative thing, it only seems that way. Everyone has an accent. People from the midwest have a midwestern accent.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Scat! You above anyone should know it doesn't take an accent.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    @rockstar666 - you guys have all kinds of weird accents just look at Minnesota and Michigan
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    When I traveled through the South, I'd inquire about my accent. Almost everybody said that they knew that I wasn't from around there but they couldn't pinpoint where I was from. I think that because of so many different accents mingling together all over the West coast, that there is a neutral accent. I like the accent in Kentucky. Them gals were hot.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Quick question-How come people in New England drop the R at the end of a word but people in the Midwest add an R? examples-NE and Car. MW and words like Idear or Worsh.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    something to do with matter not being able to be destroyed. what we lose in New England they use in Midwest
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I like That IME. I personally have nothing against any accent. They all have their uniqueness. I will say this. I drank with some of my friends college buddies from Boston College, once. Them boys could DRINK!
  • lopaw
    11 years ago
    The only accents I find sexy are foreign ones, especially British, Aussie & Kiwi. I think it has something to do with Xena the Warrior Princess but I can't be sure.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I actually feel that the Commonwealth accents are way overrated but that's just me. Now, nothing is sexier than a South African Bushwoman's accent, especially if she speaks Click.
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    When my high school senior class traveled to New York, we stopped at a HoJo and the waitresses asked us to repeat our orders. Someone asked them why and they did that. One of them said they just liked the southern accents. The kicker is that when a Southern Belle talks it flows like honey. No other English accent does that. I will agree that mid-western is pretty much the easiest on the ears though, because there is no accent.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I've always been fascinated by accents. Most linguists agree the "Southern accent" developed from the Scots-Irish that settled Appalachia. Yet, there are big differences month southern accents. A peson from Kentucky does not sound at all like someone from Virginia. And a person from Alabama is different yet and then a Texan is still different. When Barry Bonds played for the San Francisco Giants, he was often accused as being "stand-offish". I once heard it said that was because of his "Northern California" accent. I never heard of any kind of California accent. He seemed very soft-spoken, if that's what is meant by a Nor-Cal accent.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    "among" not "month"
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    Southern accents aren't remotely the same. They all differ. I find them sexy on women, but it makes the guys sound less intelligent imo. There is no "New England" accent. Mainers peak differently than Bostonians and Rhode Islanders, especially from the Woonsocket area sound like a mixture of New York and French accents. Ted Kenndy's fake, pompous accent is what people think is a Boston accent, but its an affectation, not a Boston accent. The true Boston accent not only drops R's, but it adds H's and Y's, as in We're gonna get the cah, hit the packy, and pahte, on the cahna in Reveeya, then grab the T and head to Quinzwe for more beeyas. It will be wicked pissa. That means awesome.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Props to Skibum. I used the catch-all term New Englander. I don't live out there so I'm not familiar with the nuances.
  • duomaxwell
    11 years ago
    @skibum I am oddly turned on just by reading that. I like it when people say 'bubbler'.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    I, being from Mass., grew up near Woonsocket, RI and linguists attribute my accent to the patois of the French Canadian influence predominate in that area. I have run many workshops for educators throughout the South and frequently begin by stating that, " Kids have to work hardah to get smahta". I've got one friend from New Orleans who told me she gets a little wet just listening to me tahk.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion