tuscl

Richie Incognito Held Dolphins Meetings At Strip Club, Fined Absent Teammates

The locker room culture of the Miami Dolphins continues to be under intense scrutiny following the departure of offensive tackle Jonathan Martin from the team amid allegations of bullying and hazing and media reports continue to reveal unseemly attitudes and practices.

According to two unnamed sources who spoke with Jason Cole of National Football Post, Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, who has been suspended by the team for his role in the alleged bullying of Martin, held meetings for the team's offensive lineman at a strip club and mocked players unwilling to attend.

“Richie wanted to set up Richie's world as a way for everybody to act,” an unnamed team source told Cole. “Richie thinks everybody should act that way. He doesn't get that some guys aren't into that behavior. Some guys don't want to constantly explain to their wife or girlfriend why they have to go to a strip club.”

Incognito has been suspended by the Dolphins and been at the center of the controversy surrounding the organization following reports that he sent threatening messages to Martin that included racial slurs.

This National Football Post report is just the latest to cast the Dolphins' workplace in a negative light.

On Wednesday, ProFootballTalk reported that Miami general manager Jeff Ireland suggested Martin resolve his issues with Incognito through physical violence, citing multiple unnamed league sources.

A day later, Martin's attorney, David Cornwell, issued a statement claiming that the alleged harassment "went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing." Released along with the statement was a quote attributed to an unnamed teammate that included a vulgar, sexual threat against Martin's sister.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08…

3 comments

• AnonymousJim
    11 years ago
    I think it's fair for all of us to say we'd love to hear of regular meetings at strip clubs, even if I do feel like it's kind of awkward to try and get "into" what a stripper's trying to do in front of your buddies, much less your co-workers.

Nonetheless, forcing it on someone else who isn't comfortable with it, for whatever reason -- religion, ethics, homosexual, asexual, whatever -- just isn't cool, at least in my book. Nothing about sex should be forced. It should be what works for everyone.

That whole situation is a mess. The very quick summary of my feelings: They put a guy who's probably too smart and too sensitive for the NFL's culture together with a guy who's amazingly too insensitive for that culture. No surprise it was a bad combination.

Martin probably never encountered that bro culture through his upbringing by Harvard-grad parents or at Stanford and probably isn't cut out for the macho NFL locker room. Incognito probably never encountered someone as sensitive as Martin and didn't know how to correctly work with him as a teammate. Shame on both for not understanding the situation and handling it poorly, and shame on the Dolphins for putting them together.
  • PredragDr
    11 years ago
    I wonder what club they held the meetings at? I am thinking maybe Toosties because it's large and easy to get a roped off area plus pretty close to the stadium. I know that was Aaron Hernandez's go to.

I've heard rumors swirling regarding Martin's sexuality and how this might have been the match that ignited the impending fire.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    Incognito was looking for homosexuals on the team, and he thought surrounding them with naked women would smoke them out. Sounds like a stunt a few of our members here would try.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion