tuscl

Anyone planning on buying the Twitter IPO?

zero profit, lots of potential, value with stocks now over 18 billion. Sounds like some strip club reviews where others just don't see it but the reviewer sees potential.

What do you think?

53 comments

• sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    Correction, the value will be 14 billion with the stock sold.
  • TxVegas
    11 years ago
    Very high risk stock with uncertain revenue prospects. So, take the gamble if you really believe in the model.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    I don't gamble but I took a shit on the craps table once
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    The first commandment of the investing bible:

"Thou shalt NEVER buy an IPO."
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    $26 for TWTR is quite cheap, IMO. That being said tomorrow seems like a "pivotal" day for the market me. Double top or bust through to new highs? I'll be watching with great interest, but haven't decided yet.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Hopefully txtittyfan will give some advice on this one. That'll make it easy. Just do the opposite of what he says. :-)

• jackslash
    11 years ago
    I can't invest in Twitter. I put all my money into strippers' G-strings.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    The best way to go is to be part of the fund that helps get the company to the point of going public than selling out and walking away with money. Facebook's IPO made a shitload of money for the initial investors and fucked the later ones.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    CNBC says they are hearing bids going in for $40... That sounds fair if FB is your metric, but, IMO, FB is too high! I won't buy it that high.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    $45/$46 now... Nah... pass.

• deogol
    11 years ago
    Nope. Not buyin.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Not real interested, fun to watch though. I'm skeptical of the twitters and the facebooks as investments, too much ebb and flow in popularity of things on the internet.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Jestie could only afford 20 or so shares on his janitor's salary anyway.
  • Ermita_Nights
    11 years ago
    Are you kidding me?

I only buy IPO if I know the founder personally.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    I like TWTR at $30 but not up here around $43. You can now short it on E-Trade but since it is "hard to borrow" the interest is 14%. I'm thinking of giving it a day or two to see if that rate comes down.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Did anyone every buy TWTR? I did a couple of weeks ago.

How about the GoPro! IPO today? Anyone in on it?
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    Initial price will not be available to you and me. And prices will go to the stratosphere when trading starts, far beyond what it's worth. Don't even think about buying.

Hey, anyone remember MySpace?

When it comes to technology like this, people are incredibly fickle. They'll jump to the "hot new thing" in a heartbeat. I also predict the present lineup of internet favorites will be has-beens in the near future.

And heaven forbid we go thru a real depression, what to you think will be the first to go? Entertainment/media stuff like Facebook and Twitter. Suddenly paying $50 per month for your entertainment on the internet won't look so important.
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Well, it did take a shit, but is trending up. Still not worth the risk in my opinion.

I think facebook and twitter will be used more by their non-paying clients - but "the money" will know the spike is clients who can't pay for their products... it'll be like advertising in comic books.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    @deogol: I was skeptical on FB as well, but an important thing to consider is that, given their history, they seem quite willing to share data about you to third parties for advertising. They have proposed some products to allow app writers to do targeted advertising based on FB information.

So consider what would happen if FB did the same for smart TVs, or via streaming radio like Pandora or Spotify. Unfortunately, I think if you ever did use FB that will determine what advertisers show you for the rest of your life.

My two concerns are: a market cap of $150 billion? Are you fucking kidding me? And what if there is a backlash about all the information they store about you. What if they are required to not gather it or delete it at your request? How would they manage that situation? Granted the NSA and LE would probably go to bat for them if it was looking like they might be required to delete.

TWTR is looking like a good long term bet today, even after being up +6% today.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Dougster: "Did anyone every buy TWTR? I did a couple of weeks ago"

Anyone else buy it mid-June?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Nobody got in mid-June around the lows? Just me?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    I wonder if real estate has appreciate as much since mid-June as TWTR stock? Thoughts?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Wonder how their earnings will be today? :-) Big deal with Google announced.

I find TWTR is becoming an excellent research tool on par or better than Google when it comes to current events. Stock has a bright future, IMO.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Still nobody likes it? PE too high?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Nobody?
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    I hate Twitter. It's going to face the same challenges FB has been facing as young people have moved on. I tend to believe these companies go public when they know their best years are behind them.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Their revenue graph is truly a thing of beauty.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Looks like market is happy about their earnings. Seriously look at revenue chart and tell me how anyone cannot like it.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Still no buyers from TUSCL besides me?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Nobody?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Anybody gonna buy it this week?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Still nobody interested
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Tried to give you guys this one in a silver platter (even though most of you are just a bunch of fags). Just like when I told you about the pending boom back in October. But oh-no! You guys just want to have your circle jerks of pessimism...
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    (1) You seem to have gotten the economic boom right, but you might just be a broken clock. Not convinced of your genius, yet.

(2) This could be a pump-and-dump scheme. Maybe you know that Twitter is going down in a flaming death-spiral. Don't trust you, one bit.

(3) How could a concept as simple as Twitter have 500M users? Must be ISIS plot, or something.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Josh, the 500M users could be reflective of the decreasing attention span of Americans and probably many other Westerners.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Pump and dump? Better get Liz Warren to clamp down on that shit!

I'm putting a $100 price target on this one. Now it might take as much as three years to get there :-) but I think now it will be less turbulent than last years. For girly investors who don't like 10-20% swing in a single day. (I got some 3d printer names if you like that kind of action. Just PM me if interested. :-) )
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Founder must like it too. Notice the Twitter bird now at the bottom of the page. Think $100/share everytimr you see it.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Anyone buying this week? Market making new highs most days.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Still nobody?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Who will be buying stock ticker TWTR this week? One of my personal favorites.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Nobody?
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Any particular reason I should go out of my way to do so, rather than letting my fund managers do it? :)
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Depends on the fees they charge.
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    Any particular reason I should go out of my way to do so, rather than letting my fund managers do it? :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Dougster doesn't worry about fees anymore since he's running his own hedge fund, now. Just PM him and he'll send a prospectus. His fund is called "Douglas Asshat Management."

(sorry, should be Asset, not Asshat. Auto complete error).
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Up 7% today. Did anyone buy on the dip? Or did you get scared like a little girl (like Josh) because interest rates might rid 0.25%?

Tried to give you guys this one on a silver platter...
  • just_the_nuts
    10 years ago
    Lol
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    Example of uber nerds working on algorithm to predict overall market swings using Twitter feed (to get a nearly instantaneous read on market psychology). When they succeed, human analysts will be cleaning bedpans:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art…

• Dougster
    9 years ago
    Up 4% today on volume. Who bought in? Or was everyone like, but stevie-girl said the economy is weak! Or was it, but SJG said it's all just a bubble? Bunch of fuckin' pussy...
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Tried to give you guys this one on a silver platter...
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Lol!
  • Josh43
    9 years ago
    So what's your expert opinion on this takeover rumor?
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    I doubt it. They don't need a buy and if someone tried they would be nuts to ask for anything less than $100/share.

But stock hasn't been rallying for that reason anyway. Just buy more and relax about whatever Stevie-girl and SJG have to say.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I can't believe I missed all these posts. I forgot all about it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion