tuscl

RIP Lou Reed

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Shocked to just hear of the passing of rock legend Lou Reed.

14 comments

• mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Too bad. I'm actually shocked about not hearing about the passing of Keith Richardson and Ozzy.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    @motorhead,

This is one of your pop culture posts that I 'get'. I am a big fan of Lou Reed's music. I think that he and I are of similar age. I was shocked to hear that he had received a liver transplant a few months ago. Sounds like the transplant wasn't successful.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    Who?
  • Lone_Wolf
    11 years ago
    RIP Lou. What an amazing life he led.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    A rock legend who couldn't sing.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    Reed was amazing. I still remember the first time I heard "Heroin" and (later) the first time I heard "Street Hassle". I both cases it was just amazing. Something most other rockers would have done as a joke or poitless rebellion was genuinely transgressive. But he was more than any one approach to music...Berlin...Metal Machine Music...Magic and Loss...all amazing.

People should go forth and walk on the wild side to celebrate Reed's life. But not too many drugs. Reed stopped that in the '80s...probably why he made it to 71.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago

"A rock legend who couldn't sing"

That could apply to alot of guys. Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Jimi Hendrix, Ozzy Osboune.

I must be drawn to poor vocalists cuz all those guys are my all time favorites.

I've even heard it said that Jim Morrison couldn't sing. And I love his voice.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    Lou Reed was a much bigger influence in the music community than he was with the public at large. He was definitely an influence on me and my music.

I'm pleased and a little surprised on the amount of press his death has generated. It seems he was more well regarded with the unwashed masses than I realized. RIP Lou Reed.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    @zipman68: Yes, 'Heroine' was the song that got me thinking in new directions on how to write. His one big hit, "Walk On The Wild Side" actually never did much for me.
  • 3LeggedMan
    11 years ago
    "Rock legend Lou Reed". Huh? More like Smooth Jazz One-hit-wonder Lou Reed. Aside from Walk On The Wild Side, I can't remember another hit from this guy. And his one successful song was far from being rock.
  • 10inches
    11 years ago
    never understood the appeal. couldn't sing worth a shit just like Dylan. should have died years ago. what waste a transplant on a druggie alcoholic who caused his own liver to fail ? had to be someone more deserving of saving
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    3LeggedMan-
    Yes, he is a legend. It is said of his first Velvet Underground album that it sold only 30,000 albums, but everyone who bought it formed a band. You don't have to have hits to be a legend. Plus he got to hang out with Andy Warhol.

The bizarre fact about Lou Reed is the fact that his last album was the one he did with Metallica.
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    Belated RIP to Lou Reed. When I heard of his death, I initially mistook it for ANOTHER Reed from same era- Jerry Reed (Amos Moses, and other hits.) Alas, research shows that he died in 2008. I liked his songs, so make this a double belated RIP.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    minnow,

It's easy to forget Jerry Reed was a musician. I most remember him as Burt Reynolds' partner in "Smokey and the Bandit" and as one of the head coaches in "The Waterboy". I think he has over a dozen film credits.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion