tuscl

That's a lot of java.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A San Francisco strip club is suing Oracle after one of its employees ran up a massive bill on a company credit card, and Oracle refused to pay the bill.

KCBS and San Francisco Chronicle Insider Phil Matier reports, the suit was filed in San Francisco Superior Court, just as Oracle OpenWorld's mega conference rolls into town.

According to the lawsuit, the employee used his Oracle-issued American Express card to charge more than 33-thousand dollars in unspecified “services” at the New Century Theater on Larkin Street during last year's Oracle OpenWorld fest.

An Oracle spokeswoman declined to comment on the suit.

14 comments

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    What is so sad is this nitwit actually thought that he would get away with it.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I was at a conference where the corporate purchasing director of Disney World was a giving a talk on corporate purchasing cards. One of the Disney buyers bought a boat for themselves. Got caught. But wonder how much gets thru.
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    I wonder what the credit limit is on these cards? Or if there is a fraud prevention type of system in place so it flags large unexpected purchases.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    I know a guy that had a corporate card and part of his job was to take clients out and entertain them. He bought new furniture for his house, remodeled his basement and who knows what else to the tune of over $200, 000 in a years time! He went to jail for like 2 weeks and told everyone he served HARD TIME...lol. I think the company just fired him and dropped the charges. I did see him at a bar one night with clients buying them as well as every hot girlin there all the drinks they wanted
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    I know a guy that had a corporate card and part of his job was to take clients out and entertain them. He bought new furniture for his house, remodeled his basement and who knows what else to the tune of over $200, 000 in a years time! He went to jail for like 2 weeks and told everyone he served HARD TIME...lol. I think the company just fired him and dropped the charges. I did see him at a bar one night with clients buying them as well as every hot girlin there all the drinks they wanted
  • Ermita_Nights
    11 years ago
    There must be more to the story. Oracle can't just refuse to pay, if their employee authorized the charges. $33K is a lot for the Century, I can't imagine spending that much there. Maybe they're claiming the guy didn't get the services he paid for.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Oracle could have disputed it. If you're AMEX who are you going to listen to?

@samsung, I believe AMEX has a Centurion (black card) for businesses. They have no limit. Though I'm sure Oracle could get a huge limit on any card.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Centurion is AMEX's bank.

If it is common to spend that much money, they will check with you.

Of course, if they are lending you that kind of money, they expect you to be careful with it.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Is the dispute whether or not an Oracle employee was even in the club, or is it over the amount?

I wonder if the New Century Theater a video of the customer in question. I've given this link before when the subject of video surveillance in strip clubs comes up. It's from the Strip Club Hound Blog. An incident was recorded on video in an L.A. strip club, when a major league baseball player went to a srip club one night, put $4,000 on a credit card, and later denied he was even at the club. See:

http://stripclubhound.blogspot.com/searc…

Go to Wednesday, February 16, 2011. "Question Time," item #3

• Cheo_D
    11 years ago
    Y'know, unless you're the guy who OWNS the company, you don't hit the SC with the company card (and not even then, because it will mean you'll have some'splainin to do later when it goes through accounting for tax purposes).

Alas there seems to be as of yet no online copy of the filing at the Courts' site so the actual allegations are hard to verify.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Yeah – $33k in a SC? I get the feeling the club (or it’s employees) saw it was a corporate card and probably charged the hell out of it with bogus charges – everybody probably lined their pockets.

Giving your CC in a club is asking for trouble IMO.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    @Papi I wonder how clubs work it if somebody charges thousands in tips/dances on a CC? Even if it doesn't get charged back, seems like a club could get into cash flow problems, giving it out as cash on the same night. I don't think the credit card companies EFT you the money right away.
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    This club is listed as $30 night cover and $60 dances.
  • Cheo_D
    11 years ago
    Found acopy of the suit!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentclou…

The suit is against both Oracle and the employee. It includes as evidence signed/thumbprinted pay slips (signature's an illegible scribble, though) for "dance dollars" mostly in multiples of 500 plus 10% "processing fee" plus written-in gratuities of between 50 and 200 per transaction, making it a series of charges between 600 and 2400 at a time. One pair of these slips seem to have been filled just 11 minutes apart. The attached slips appearing on this PDF only add up to a little over 10K and only for the first date, one would imagine they'd better have similar evidence for the full amount of the claim if they are bothering to go to court for it.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion