tuscl

Today!

Clubber
Florida
When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation...

19 comments

• SoonerSam
    11 years ago
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it and to install a new government.
  • SoonerSam
    11 years ago
    Oops, I mean: it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    true, but I'm not really optimistic that any sizable portion of this country gives enough of a shit to change the direction we're heading.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Fight the power.
  • bang69
    11 years ago
    fight the power
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    tumble and bang,

I am glad that I'm an old fart and won't be around to see the results of the current administration and what might come from it! However, I do pray for my children!
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Clubber! I made my bones at a young age so the current administration affects me less than some on the board. I am in total agreement with your statement, but it was installed by the people which is really what fucking scares me.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    tumble,

"The people" have proved just how uniformed they can be. Ignorance is NOT a valid excuse for doing something stupid.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    A little story! In January of '09 my father was in failing health, so I was summoned from Maine to S.Carolina with a layover in D.C. two days prior to the Obama inauguration.The airport in D.C. was a total circus.After three delayed connecting flights mine was canceled,(Thanks US Airways).So now I secure hotel numbers,not a room to be found within 100 miles.I now come to terms with my fate for the night,I have to sleep in the airport.
    Finding a seat by the windows, I gaze at the sea of purple and Sunday best.The homeless are stacked like firewood on the heating grates.(Reagan International has no policy on removing the homeless).The disrespect I was met with was disturbing,unsettling.
    After we buried my father at Arlington I looked back at things he taught me and said to me.The one thing that stuck out in my mind was when he said,"Son I Wouldn't want to grow up in your era for anything".This coming from a man that lived through the Great Depression and WWII.Never understood what he meant by that.But after that night in D.C. everything is cystal clear.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    tumble,

You make an excellent point. Our parents grew up and had some very bad times. They thought us well, and I passed that along to my children. Problem is, few and fewer through the generations don't and we end up with what we have today. That an liberal policies. Name me a major hello hole city that hasn't been run by liberals for years!
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    The truth,the whole truth,and nothing but the truth.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I don't get this black pessimism.

This is a great time to be alive.

Maybe you guys should emigrate to Canada.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Sorry Art! I can't give up 55% of what I make.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    art: " This is a great time to be alive."

I'm with art on this one.

Although X'ers and millennials are going to have some challenges cleaning up certain messes they inherited, they will master them.

Just some of things making this a great time
    - accelerating advances in biotech;
    - emerging world continuing to come online and close the gap with the west;
    - the time lag between girls start stripping and when they are ready for FS has already dropped from years to months to weeks - soon they will all be ready right out of the gate.

As corollary, I think it's also a great time make money. I think we get to S&P 1780 just be the end of this year alone, and that is really just the start of it.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Art!Down here we have whites wanting to be black and blacks wanting to be white.Just go on any strippers Facebook page and nine times out of ten she has a half breed in her arms,tatted to the sky,with no idea what her future holds.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    @tumblingdice,

I assume that your 55% remark refers to Canadian income tax rates. Gotta tell you that you are absolutely wrong. There is no province in Canada where your highest marginal tax rate will approach 55%.

I live in Alberta which is the lowest tax province in Canada. Depending on the kind of income that I report my effective tax rate is 22% to a max of 38%. I never pay at the highest rate for all my income. Last year my blended tax rate for all my different types of income was under 30%. If I choose to make donations I can bring that to a level that Mitt Romney pays in USA. My effective tax rate last year after all tax credits and deductions was under 25%. Occasionally I can bring that rate to 0% (perhaps 1 year in 7).

Remember also that I pay absolutely nothing for my basic health care insurance.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    I talked to farmer art about this offline, and one reason the Canadian taxes are not necessarily as bad as they seem is that on capital gains only half the gains are taxed. This gets the effective Canadian rate very close to the US long term capital gains rate. If it is a short term capital gain, then Canada is better*.

(* I have seen contradictory information on whether professional trader/speculators in Canada need to treat 100% of capital gains as ordinary income.)
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    fa,

Why would you just count income tax? Is it more immoral than a sales tax? A fishing tax? A driving tax? A property tax...
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Art,sorry,I stand corrected.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion