tuscl

Judge: Pittsburgh cops can moonlight at strip club

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
PITTSBURGH - A federal judge says acting Pittsburgh police Chief Regina McDonald can't prevent officers from working off-duty security details at strip clubs.

U.S. District Judge Nora Barry Fisher's ruling Monday also says the owners of one such club, Blush, can move forward with a lawsuit against the city for banning such work since March 13.

The club's attorneys argued their free speech rights to provide nude dancing are being violated and they they're being discriminated against because officers can still provide off-duty security at other types of night clubs and bars.

McDonald says such work brings "disrepute" on police and city attorneys had argued she can decide where officers work in uniform, even when a private business is paying them.

But Fisher agreed the club's First Amendment rights were being violated because only strip clubs were singled out.

7 comments

• samsung1
    11 years ago
    There is a club across from Gatsby's on Romig road called ace of spades. I always see a cop car out in their parking lot. Not sure if he is there for a paid security job or if it is because there is always some sort of trouble going on.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    I would think clubs wouldn't want any cop there ever, unless they were getting a kickback to keep other cops and LE totally away from the place
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    A uniformed officer in the parking lot or at the door would deter violence and 2AMer's.
  • bang69
    11 years ago
    I new several Atlanta cops that worked security at sc's in Atl. This is nothing new
  • thenumber10
    11 years ago
    One club I frequent has cops inside, sometimes at the doors on the main floor or by the doorman, on weekends. Do feel safer walking out but creepier walking in.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Only thing I have to say about le at the sc is BUZZKILL.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    I was in a club in Houston with an off duty cop at the door and extras in the back.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion