tuscl

Off Topic. Memories of the 50's

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

10 comments

• farmerart
    11 years ago
    Let an old oilman die happy. Bring back the 1950s gas guzzlers. Those mid-50s GM products were built like tanks......sucked up gasoline like tanks, too.

Remember when there was no plastic, no aluminum in cars? Even the radio knobs were steel.
  • snowtime
    11 years ago
    Good memories for us old farts. Hope the young guys enjoy it too.
    I had forgotten Jiffy Pop and Bosco.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I only remember the 50's from history class and watching Happy Days with The Fonz. The solution to fix equipment. Hit it with the right touch.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Hilarious. The music, the dancing, the cars.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    I'm with Art. I like the old '50's cars. I get to see a lot of them at the various car shows in the spring and summer here in Seattle.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Ahhh, the good ole days when I was just a sperm and an egg, waiting to combine and become me.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Also, the days when "full service" meant getting your tank filled by a uniformed attendant! (The opposite now applies.)
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Only the Tattoed Lady had tats back in the fifties.
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    fa- I'll take the 50's gas prices. Hell, I'll even take the inflation adjusted 50's gas prices.

sc- The column manual shift at ~ 1:30 into vid was a dinosaur even in the 50's. Don't have the stats, but based on my observations of peering inside the plethora of 50's cars shows that by ~ 1953 model year, more cars than not had automatic transmission, even the Chevy. The upper end Buick, Olds, etc were virtually all automatic in 1950. Thanks for posting link.
  • Player11
    11 years ago
    All of the cars my parents had in the 50's were manual transmision. They did not have an auto transmission car until 1968. My first car in Hs was 1961 chevy which was manual transmission.

Something like politically correct, gay marriage, would have been totally alien or laughed at by people in the 50's. A man who was gay was a "homo" and a perfert. He was not a "real man." At the age of 4 I remember my father pointing to a guy on TV palying a piano (Liverache?) and saying "You see him, he is not a real man." I simply had no idea what he meant, I mean at the age of 4 who would know what a homo was.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion