tuscl

June 1, 2013

gawker
Older than dirt
60 years ago today, Queen Elizabeth was coronated. I remember being dragged to a neighbor's house where there was a television and made to watch the ceremony on grainy B & W TV and being told that this was a memorable occasion. Any other Anglphyles remember this?

9 comments

• zipman68
    11 years ago
    Too young.

But I understand her son wants to be a tampon. So I'm waiting for the coronation of King Bloody Tampon I.
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    Anglephyles?
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    No. I must have been in a strip club.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    No. I'm Old, but not that old.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I was 4 years old. No TV on our farm until the early 1960s when I was about 13-14. As a result, I never did pick up the TV-watching addiction.

It truly pisses me off that we have that dreary old queen's face on all our coinage here in Canada and on our $20 bills. She is revered but for what?......being the matriarch of one of the world's most dysfunctional families? Crypto-nazis the lot of them!

That Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (aka Windsor since WWI) family makes the Kardashians look like a normal, well adjusted group.

I dearly wish that Canada becomes a republic in my lifetime. I like the British parliamentary system much better than your USA system of government but I really want the Canadian head of state to be an elected Canadian citizen.

Not holding my breath.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I'm not a Royal Watcher, but I do think it's fascinating that I have lived thru 11 US Presidents, buy only one Queen.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    @motorhead,

Could be another 15-20 years of dreary old Betty. Her gin swilling useless old mother lived to be 101.
  • londonguy
    11 years ago
    Ouch...that's a tad below the belt farmerart?
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    @londonguy,

As long as that useless crowd of twits stays in the British Isles I am fine with them. They belong to you. Keep 'em there. Have you guys even had a monarch of English blood since Elizabeth I? I can think of a whole string of Scots, Dutch, Germans, Greeks, Danes; not too many true blue English since about 1600. That first Betty must have been a real ball buster.

Tell the truth, londonguy, aren't you appalled at the thought of Chuckles the Clown becoming your king? King Charlie III? Horse-faced Queen Camilla of the suspect personal hygiene? Didn't something real nasty happen to Charles I? Nell Gwynne was supposed to have given Charles II the gift that keeps on giving (and dripping and dripping and dripping.....).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion