tuscl

Teen's $54K bar tab in Japan won't have to be paid in full

A father in Japan is breathing a sigh of relief. It turns out he won't have to pay off the insane bar tab his son ran up in 2010. The 16-year-old took his father's credit card before beginning a tour of Japanese hostess bars, racking up $54,000 in charges.

The teen and a friend hit several hot spots around Kyoto, Japan's capital, buying bottles of whiskey and sparkling wine, some priced up to $3,700 each, the AFP reports. The hostess clubs offer the company of attractive women, hired to spend time with the customer. It's not a sexual thing, the hostesses simply hang out and laugh at the jokes the customer tells.

A Japanese court ruled that the bar owners and credit card company were mostly responsible for the charges, meaning the father won't have to pay off the entire tab. However, the dad has been ordered to fork over $7,800 of the bill.

No word on how long the son was grounded for.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/05/te…

9 comments

• jabthehut
    11 years ago
    The guy who wrote that story sure is an ignorant SOB. Everyone knows that Tokyo is the capital of Japan. What can you expect from a Twitterphile?
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    jabthehut - Apparently NOT everyone knows.

"Tokyo is the de facto capital of Japan, where the seat of the Government of Japan and home of the Emperor are located. While this is generally accepted, the capital de jure is disputed by some people.[citation needed] Some supporters of the argument that Tokyo is the de jure capital city of Japan cite the 1868 establishment of Tokyo prefecture as the date that it became the capital. Others[who?] state that it occurred when Edo Castle became Tokyo Castle that same year, and still others say that it occurred when Tokyo Castle became the Imperial Castle (now the Kōkyo) in 1869. Historically speaking, while there was an imperial edict transferring the capital to Heian-kyō, such a basis has never been provided for the transfer from Kyoto to Tokyo. So, today, there are some[who?] people[citation needed] who argue that since the transfer to Heiankyo was valid, Kyoto is still the capital of Japan, while some[who?] say[citation needed] that Tokyo and Kyoto are simultaneously capitals of Japan."
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    God damn Tokugawa Shogunate.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Regardless,a minor cannot enter into a legal contract.
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    Are you sure a minor in Japan can't enter into a legal contract?
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    The legal contract was between the father and the credit card company. The father was foolish for giving his credit card to his son to take to a bar.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Why do you think I hide my wallet on my stripper bitch?
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Buddy I'm not telling you a fib.Thats all you give her $80 bucks,she curses you at night.Yeah shes my little hard ass.
  • Experimental
    11 years ago
    I doubt the dad gave his kid the credit card. The story says kid took it.

The legal age for drinking in Japan is 20. The father is responsible for 7800 of the bill,likely what the sparkling wine cost.
    The actual alcohol, since the hostess clubs broke the law in serving a minor is what he isn't responsible for is what this sounds like to me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion