tuscl

To boldly go OT where no man has gone before...

Any of you all see the latest Star Trek flick "Into Darkness"?

I'll admit it I'm in to that shit which pretty much includes all sci fi out there good or bad. Actually the worse it is the better it becomes in some regards.

So if you saw it what did you think?

For reference purposes what do you consider the top 3 ~ 5 sci fi flicks of all time?

I know that is off topic but I went to see "Into Darkness" at lunch today and it's kinda stuck in my head right now.

30 comments

• boogieknight369
    11 years ago
    What did you think of it?

I saw the first one (the one that came out 2 or so years ago) and loved it. Haven't seen this one yet though.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    I liked it but I'm kinda predisposed to liking that kinda stuff. Personally though I thought that they tried to cram too much into it so it was not as fleshed out as I would have liked it. I wont spoil the "surprise" and ruin it before you see it but I will say that I think that JJ really fucked up the timeline and a couple core ST sacred cows got fucked with in the process.

All that having been said I liked Oblivion a whole lot more than Into Darkness...FWIW
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    It's all right, but it wasn't worth seeing it in 3D, or maybe I should have tried going when they had a regular showing. But I'm also predisposed to sci fi as well.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    No, & don't intend to see it or any other efforts in this ill advised "Reboot" effort. IMO it ISN'T Star Trek. I've been watching ST since September 8, 1966 when it 1st came on TV.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    It is just a soulless exercise in CGI effects.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    I can appreciate your position Alucard but your not really in a position to lay down judgement if you haven't seen any of them. I believe that nostalgia is blinding you to the fact that they have merit and unfortunately all of your direct experience with the original series is for naught if you don't open your self to the experience of something new and potentially better in certain respects.

That having been said you do have a right to your opinion but not to judge in the absence of a body of direct experience with the subject matter at hand.

I am curious though what would be on a list of your top 5 sci fi movies Alucard?
  • she_is_covfefe
    11 years ago
    I haven't seen this one, but I don't think it'll be better than "First Contact" or "The Wrath of Khan".

I'm a big time Trekkie.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    IMO you are spot on JayJaydancer...

Bullwinkle good list all good flicks. I guess I'm a little more forgiving of JJ's approach to movie making cause I definitely feel the ST vibe in his work. I think that in many respects he is simply to clever by half and the story tends to get lost in the production but with all the toys available to these guys today I can understand how it would be hard not to try a little bit of everything. Unfortunately in many respects it ends up going over the top and we are left with the diminished result. Still I applaud your list.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    I have watched part of the 1st one. Disliked it a great deal & didn't finish watching it. Don't intend to WASTE any $ on any more of them.

Just because a Filmmaker "Reboots" &/or "Reimagines" a movie or a movie series or a TV show or TV series, doesn't mean it is good or can live off of the source material. IMO the Franchise name "Star Trek" is being used to promote this soulless CGI exercise. IMHO it isn't REAL Star Trek. I've watched it for 47 yrs and I "KNOW" what Star Trek is & isn't.

CGI exercise are not even decent low level movies if there isn't a good plot & writing & acting & direction and all the other elements that make up a GOOD movie.

Could not stick to 5 - These are not in order of quality or preference, sort of alphabetical:
    A. Alien/Aliens - Hard to separate for me
    B. Close Encounters of the Third kind
    C. Contact
    D. Forbidden Planet
    E. Day the Earth Stood Still
    F. King Kong
    G. Them
    H. Time After Time

• Alucard
    11 years ago
    The BEST ST films are those written or directed by Nicholas Meyer!
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I guess I'm a bit unconventional in that I not a fan of either the Star Trek or Star Wars series.

I do like some of Alucard's picks, "Them" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still", but they didn't make my top 5.

1. Andromeda Strain
    2. Planet of the Apes
    3. Terminator
    4. Logan's Run
    5. Starman

Narrowly missing, "Invastion of the Body Snatchers" (1950's version)

(PS - you can guess I'm not a youngster)
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Alucard!Moto smoked you.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Your Top 3 motorhead are right behind my picks.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    tumblingdice - JUST shut the FUCK up & quit trying to ruin the BEST thread here in a long time.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    Alucard don't feed the troll

It's as simple as that.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    I like the 1st 3 "Star Wars" films, but they're down my list a bit motorhead.
  • staxwell
    11 years ago
    "Just because a Filmmaker "Reboots" &/or "Reimagines" a movie or a movie series or a TV show or TV series, doesn't mean it is good or can live off of the source material. IMO the Franchise name "Star Trek" is being used to promote this soulless CGI exercise."

Amen.

I couldn't get through the 1st one either. I'll give another shot, then decide on seeing the new one. The trailers look great though.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I didn't know there were that many Star Trek Fans here. I'm used to staying home on Friday nights to watch sci fi on tv even though most of the new shows got moved to Monday nights.

I haven't seen it yet but saw all the others. I even got a letter from Paramount stating I was an honorary officer of the Star Ship Enterprise the same week I got a letter stating that JPL included my name along with over 140,000 other names on a chip sent to Mars and sitting on the surface. It should be part of The Carl Sagan Memorial if that is what they call the remains of the first rover spacecraft landing equipment. I read that somewhere.
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    1. Debby Does Dallas
    2. Space Nuts
    3. Shot Glasses 4
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    ^too funny gator but I think that those qualify as fantasy not science fiction. Still they are all interesting titles (LOL)
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    "I didn't know there were that many Star Trek Fans here"

We're EVERYWHERE! :)

If the 2 part episode of "The Best of Both Worlds" from ST:TNG had been released as a film, it would have been IMHO the best of the ST:TNG feature films. I already consider it the BEST episodic ST ever. Closely followed by the 2 part series finale of ST:TNG.

There are a lot of B & C & D grade SCi-Fi films from the 1950's & 1960's that I love and watch quite often, but they aren't ones I rate in a Top 10 or Top 20.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    "I close my eyes, see Spock shouting KAAAAAAHNNNN with Kirk on the wrong side of the glass, and cry lil Trekkie tears..."

One of the GREAT moments on Star Trek history. If you aren't "moved" a little bit by that scene, you're dead.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Not many new movies excite me - but World War Z seems promising
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    If ypu're looking for some possible good animated sci fi movies you might have missed. I found this list by accident.
    http://www.dominantwire.com/2012/02/best…
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    World War Z looks great but the trailer ain't like the book. I'm surprised nobody was a fan of Battlestar Galactica. So say we all!
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    "World War Z seems promising"

I really like Zombie films. The audiobook was good.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I like Battlestar Galacta. I just forgot about it. I thought the older version was more entertaining and amusing. I enjoyed the aspects of two fighter pilots acting like men in the older series. Changing one of those men to a female in the new series ruined that aspect in my opinion but I guess someone decided it was more politicaly correct.

I also enjoyed the clumsiness in the old series of the Cylon drone robots but that didn't really make practical sense for a thinking advanced robot.

One series that I thought had promise and watched was Caprica. I thought they were going somewhere with the series but it died.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I should add I thought the older series was more entertaining for a while. After watching some of the later shows, it seemed like there was less action and more mundane shows. The new series was pretty good with the graphics and movie effects and the Cylons or robots especially in the opening shows. Disregard the looks of the show and I thought the older series was more entertaining having a couple of guys act like guys even if in the older series Starbucks was described as a womanizer. Probably not much different than a few people who visit strip clubs.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    For anyone who didn't watch, in the new version of Battlestar Galactica they changed the character of Starbucks to a female fighter pilot. That changed the character relationships compared to the old version of the show.
  • nickifree
    11 years ago
    I thought it was so bad that I almost walked out of the theater. I hated R. Scott's Promethuses too (mostly the second half of it). Turns out the two movies were written by the same (Lost) writers.

The last good sci-fi movie for me was "The Matrix". I though "V for Vendetta" was great, but supposedly it's not considered sci-fi.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion