tuscl

Dispatcher Question for Shadowcat

jerikson40
New York
Mr. Shadowcat...

In another thread you mentioned that you are an airline dispatcher. And I've had a nagging question for a long time that I just can't figure out regarding airlines, and I was wondering if you could shed some light on it...

A while back I was taking a vacation flight from a big city to small island. The destination airport had a 6,000 ft runway, and also has VOR/DME. We took off from the big city, and about halfway into our 45 minute flight the captain tells us we're turning around and heading back. I don't recall the specific reason, but I think he mumbled something about visibility. At the time I could see a thunder storm down below us, and the plane was bouncing quite a bit.

Now, my questions:

1. Why the hell would a dispatcher tell the guy to take off in the first place and waste all that fuel if they KNEW there was a storm over our destination, which was ONLY 45 minutes away? They couldn't have predicted that?

2. And why would there be any visibility problems if the destination airport has VOR/DME equipment? Can't the guy land on instruments? Or maybe the shortness of the runway requires clear weather or something?

Thanks for any input you can give. BTW, the reason it bugs me so much is the next flight to our destination was in 3 days, so we spent much of our vacation in the big city. Pissed me off.

11 comments

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    1)I would need more information. Was weather radar available for that island? Was the aircraft fuel range enough to hold for a thunderstorm to pass. Were there suitable alternate airports available. Landing during a thunderstorm in unadvisable and probably illegal.
    2)a VOR/DME is classed as a non precision approach. The visibility requirements when using it are much higher than they would be for an ILS approach which is what all major airports are using. The runway length would not be a factor in determining visibility requirements but stopping distance especially on a wet runway be would be degraded.

Trying to guess what was on the minds of the Capt. and the dispatcher after the fact is a tough thing to do but sounds like they did the safest thing and that is what is important.
  • pabloantonio
    11 years ago
    The airlines do stupid shit all the time. It's worse since 9-11 when the Feds took over the airports.

Just try to take your "Playboy" quality dancer with you on a trip. She will be x-rayed and/or searched at least once coming and going.

The perverts, they should at least pay her $20 for the show. Fucking bastards.

• jerikson40
    11 years ago
    "Landing during a thunderstorm in unadvisable and probably illegal."

Oh really? I didn't know that. Though I assume by thunderstorm you mean specifically there is lightning in their landing path, correct? Because planes land in the rain all the time, correct?

"The visibility requirements when using it are much higher than they would be for an ILS approach which is what all major airports are using"

Ahhh, now that sounds like it might be the BINGO answer I was looking for. That's probably why the captain blamed visibility. And I'm guessing maybe with a fast moving storm you can't really predict whether visibility will be acceptable in the next 1/2 hour or whatever?

So maybe, if lighting specifically wasn't a factor, then maybe the destination airport needs to install ILS. Cool, thanks.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    @pablo: I wouldn't mind knowing where one could find such a 'quality' dancer :)
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I think it's always safer to see the landing strip before seeking a nice spot to stop at. :)

I told a dancer the other night I thought her lower bikini bottom that showed off her landing strip was sexy.
    It makes her seem more naked than she really was. :)

• pabloantonio
    11 years ago
    @ Mjx: I've heard they exist, I think mine is at least an 8 and she got "selected".

@ Whiteboy: 2 inch landing strip, LMAO.
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    What's the difference between airline dispatcher and flight controller?
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    gator - Airline Dispatchers are employed by the air lines and tell the Captains where to go. Air Traffic Controllers are employed by the Federal government(FAA)and tell the captains how to get there.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    ...and flight attendants tell the Captains what their room number is
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Dading Chaaa!
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    j40- Just out of curiosity: What was the destination in question (I'm guessing it is HI or Carribean), the big city origin airport, and the genral type of aircraft (mainline jet, regional jet, or turboprop) ?

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion