tuscl

OT. City fathers?

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
In the U2 video of 'Where the streets have no name" filmed on the top of a single storey building in LA in the early 80's the dialogue refers to the 'city fathers' not being happy about the event. Who or what are the 'city fathers' and do other U.S. cities have them?

12 comments

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    The term city fathers is used to mean two things: firstly (and most commonly), it denotes a member of a municipal council over a city. Secondly, it can signify the "Founding Fathers" of the city.

In this sense, city fathers are usually the people who founded the city and/or its major institutions.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    "City fathers" may be a North American coloquial term. It loosely refers to local elected and appointed government officials, in prominent positions is municipal and local government. It could include other people outside of government who are influential in how government operates.

Your question made me think of a reverse situation I had where I've wondered about some British slang. I'm a big fan of the 1996 British-made film, "Brassed Off." See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassed_Off

When I was watching the DVD of it, I made a list of 12 terms of British slang that I noticed, with the intention of looking them up later. Most I could tell what they meant with the context of the film, but I don't recall that I found any of them in my very American English dictionary!

I find it fascinating how much the English language changes from one side of the pond to the other!
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    After I made my post, I went to view it. Then I saw Shadow had commented while I was writing mine. I would certainly include his comments as accurate.
  • londonguy
    11 years ago
    Thanks guys.

@club_goer. Let me know what the terms are and I'll let you know? The title of the film is a phrase itself. Brassed off is a north of England term, mainly from Yorkshire and is a more polite way of saying 'annoyed', 'unhappy' or more strongly 'pissed off'

@che. Many a true word spoken in jest. And very appropriate at the moment. Tossers.

• motorhead
    11 years ago
    Wandering off topic a bit, but to tie two threads together (no pun intended), there were two explosions today at the running of the Boston Marathon. Prayers go out to the injured (see other thread), but I wonder if londonguy is aware that the Boston Marathon is ran on "Patriot's Day", a holiday commemorating the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

To londonguy: How much of the American Revolution is studied by school children in the UK? Does "Lexington and Concord" have meaning to most English citizens?
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    @ Londonguy: I'll PM you tomorrow with some details.

@ Che: Hilarious story !!!
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    British and American English have many differences. When I was in London in 2009, I met a young English girl in a pub. She asked me if I was interested in shagging, and of course I said no.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Aah, londonguy, those canny Yorkshiremen!

As I have discovered and as many Yorkshireman knew before me:

"Where there's muck, there's brass."

(You had better explain "tossers" to the Yanks.)
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    I knew I could count on Art to comment on this thread!
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    I just looked up "tosser" It's not in my American English dictionary. So, I consulted www.dictionary.com It appears to be British slang:

tosser (ˈtɒsə)
    — n
    slang ( Brit ) a stupid or despicable person
    [C20: probably from toss off (to masturbate)]
  • londonguy
    11 years ago
    You got it 100% Club Goer.

@jackslash. that was funny, she got straight to the point with you.

@ mothorhead. As much as I hate to say it, very little if anything is taught about the American Revolution. This is thanks to left leaning politics within teaching that doesn't have a love of America, it's history or it's present (unlike me). Having said that they don't teach a lot about our history either, some kids don't know how many wives Henry the 8th had and some think Churchill a fictional character. It breaks my heart at times to see how uneducated our kids are these days.

You may be interested to know that the house where George Washington's ancestors once lived is still more or less as it was when they left it. The family gave their name to the town and the house is now a tourist attraction in Washington, England. It has many visitors from the U.S.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Tosser= jackoff
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion