tuscl

cell phones in clubs

ralphyboy
New Jersey
Are they banned or allowed where you go? Know of only one place in my area (So Jersey) that does not allow you to bring them in the club, with a large sign to that effect at the door. The other nite in Philly (where I've seen no such prohibition) I found out why--one cat right up front at the tip rail half heartedly holding it near his ear in the most cock-eyed way while he was clearly snapping photos of the snatch right in front of him. Wonder how the girls feel about that, and amazed more places haven't banned them.

23 comments

• train
    19 years ago
    The clubs I frequent dont necessarily prohit you bringing them in, but they have signs that prohibit using a cell phone. I generally leave mine in the truck. If I make a stop in during the day, I will bring it in, put on vibrate in case the office or a client calls. If I need to, I'll go outside and return the call.
  • Do the clubs y'all go to check whether your cell can take pictures or not? In one of my faves, the King of Diamonds, they ask to see your phone. In another of my faves, BJ's, I saw management got pretty worked up when some guy whipped out a phone and pointed it at the stage.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    I use my cel phone almost exclusively because with my plan long distance calls are free - I make calls to and from all over the East Coast and it's never cost me a dime. As a result my phone bill is a lot less than it used to be. But I never take my phone into any public place - restaurant, bar, SC, gym (in fact they're banned in a lot of gyms) etc. and I think people who use their phones in such places are assholes. Very few people know my cel phone number and I plan to keep it that way. And I let my answering machine pick up my land line calls so I never get unwanted calls anymore - it's great. Being basically anti-technology, I probably wouldn't have a cel phone but my job at one time required it and I became hooked. I don't know how I ever got along without it. I'd give up my TV set before I'd give up my cel phone.
  • lopaw
    19 years ago
    I bring my cell into the club all the time, although I have to head to the restroom to use it. I sometimes run back & forth to the john so much, everyone at the club must think that either I'm incontinent, or that I have a bladder the size of a pea.
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    I remember a few years ago when I first saw someone talking with a hands free headset. He was walking into the grocery store talkling very loudly and insistently. My first thought was I guess crazy people have to shop too. Later I saw the microphone clipped on his shirt and the earpiece.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    My cell phone is the only phone I have other than my office phone. I had my old land line phone number ported to my cell phone 2 years ago when the FCC made the phone companies offer that. I take it everywhere, but I silence it when I'm in a club. Or in warm weather, when I dress light, I leave it in my car.

I have taken it to the mensroom a few times to place a call. It was only a few years ago when you would hear a guy talking in the mensroom stalls, and you'd do a double take. Now, it's nothing you even notice.
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    I believe the prepaid cell phones only cost something like $20 or $50 or something and were good for at least a year. Again I haven't investigated that lately so I don't know if those offers are still out there.
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    At $20 per month for 12 months and for only 3 calls, those 3 calls cost you $240 or an average of 80 dollars a phone call. However I suppose you may think it's worth it for an emergency. I've heard about some cell phones that are prepaid that you don't have monthly charges with but I haven't investigated. I would only use that for an emergency most likely.
  • nj_pete
    19 years ago
    1/2 the clubs I frequent seem to prohibit them, I saw a manager or bounce rip a cell phone/camera out of a guys hads recently when he was caught taking a pix.
  • Doverman
    19 years ago
    Still on topic -- moving to top.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    Wow! And I thought I was the only one without a cellphone. Everyone thinks I'm weird.
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    I don't have a cell phone either. I'm usually not that interested in too many people contacting me. I get annoyed at many of the phone calls that I do get.

I did manage to get a guy who was either a telemarketer, a scam artist, thief, or terrorist angry because he said I was wasting his time on the phone. Well he called me. He was just a fool if he thought I was going to fall for his line that I won something and then give out my credit card number to pay a small 4.95 shipping and handling fee. I was bored at that time otherwise I would have just hung up on him in about 2 seconds. I remember one stripper told me she loved to play gags on telemarketers before the do not call list. I liked the one where she said she put the call on hold because she just ate a bean burrito and had gas. Then used some machine she bought to make all kinds of noises into the phone. Just goes to show that some people really go all out to annoy telemarketers. No, I don't want someone to call and harass me anytime they want to with a cell phone.
  • Doverman
    19 years ago
    Bumping up topic list.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    AN: I can completely respect that. I hate phones. I never answer my cell unless it's a stripper (they don't like to leave messages) or a client.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    They are not allowed in any of the clubs I frequent. One place outside of Boston had the smashed remains of a camera phone that two dancers destroyed when they caught the guy trying to take pictures of them while on stage.
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    I know this puts me back in the 20th century, but I don't have a cell phone. I don't even like my regular phone.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    I thought the poser yapping away on his cell phone, trying to talk louder than the music, was a fixture in every club.
  • Doverman
    19 years ago
    I've never seen any prohibitions on cell phones in the clubs I frequent... but I do understand the reasons behind them. I wouldn't have any problem with it.
  • ShotDisc
    19 years ago
    moving on up to the top of the list
  • travelingthrough
    19 years ago
    I know of clubs that allow them out on the floor, but not anywhere near the stage. The clubs that do table dances don't allow them at all where I go... I don't have a camera phone, so the urge has never struck me to even try and take pics...
  • Clubber
    19 years ago
    I don't know how you could use a cell PHONE inside a club, in the first place. The db level is normally so high; you'd need a 1000-watt amp in the phone to hear. At least that is how I find most clubs.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    Since cell phone cameras became common, every club I have visited has made you take it outside.
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    They seem to be banned in most clubs lately, or rather they make you take them outside to use them. Cell phones are also banned in a lot of government buildings now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion