tuscl

[OT: Philosophy] Karma

Lately I've noticed a number of posters mention the notion of "karma". I have also noticed that alot of strippers seem to believe in it. To me the notion of karma is a pretty ridiculous, and, as happens to me here often, I am at a loss as to whether people who talk about it are just using light-hearted and figuartively, or if they actually, literally beleive in it. (Strippers, OTOH, I have no problem beleiving beleive in it literally.)

As I say the notion seem absurd to me. First of all I don't think the universe itself has any notions of "good" and "bad". I beleive these are entirely man-made construct. All the universe "knows" about is matter/energy and laws governing its "motion" (to use informal language, since I don't feel like getting into the formal terms from physics). So given that the universe not only does not "know" or "care" about "good" and "bad", it certainly is not keeping score of these things and making sure everything balances out in the end. If someone can provide a definition of "good" and "bad" and how the laws of physics are able to distinguish them, and keep track and balance it out, please let me know, but until then the very idea of it seems patently absurd to me!

Now I certainly realize that people who do things that are widely regarded as "bad" (e.g. rob banks) do have to consider the consequence of their actions. The police might be after them, or vigilantes, or people they tell, etc. In certain cases their own superegos might be after them and lead them to do self-destructive things because the person did something the superego thought was bad. Also, of course, they might cut themselves off from certain paths down the line by choosing one thing today. That all makes sense. But what I do not beleive is that if no one else knows, or they get away from those who do, and their own superego doesn't bother them, that some day some "bad" thing will inexplicably happen to them - like they are walking down the strip and a jet engine drops on their head, but leaves everyone and everything around completely unharmed.

So in what sense to do those who site "karma" here, beleive in it?

14 comments

• Dougster
    12 years ago
    Just as a quick follow up. I beleive "karma" is wishful thinking - people would like it to be this way, so just beleive that it is, even though there is no evidence to support. It is a slight step up from Christianity (maybe) but is nearly as mystical a belief, IMO.
  • mrrock
    12 years ago
    I believe in "The Force"!
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    Clearly, you don't gamble. Life's a roulette wheel with no 0's, you get on streaks, they can last a couple rounds or several, but in the end it always comes back 50/50. That's Karma.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Actually the size of the expected difference (standard deviation) from 50/50 in absolute terms (not percentage) increases as the square root of the number of times you spin the wheel, i.e. the longer you play the further from 50/50 you are expected to be.

Even if you are talking percentage terms, the difference can be quite a ways off from 50/50 for something as short as one lifetime. In fact the chance it will be exactly 50/50 is ((n choose n/2)/2^n )* 100%.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Yes, I believe in karma.

Young 17 year old girl falls in love with bad boy. They hang out, smoke weed, and she gets pregnant. Baby Daddy knocks her up a few more times. But after a couple of years he decides he doesn't want no ho with 3 kids.

Meanwhile, the nerdy boy in high school who she never noticed goes to Stanford and is making well over 6 figures.

Now she has 3 kids and strips for food all because she chose the guy with the sideways hat instead of the guy taking AP Calculus. That's Karma.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    So are saying it's a statistical thing? People who do what is perceived as "good" tend to have more success. I'm willing to believe that, but I think it's just a statistical tendency, and there is no "necessity" about it. Hare has a good book on high functioning sociopaths and they don't always get caught. How come Karma doesn't work in those cases? In fact, you can argue mathematically that be a sociopath is neither a net advantage or disadvantage for predator/prey models.

Jumping from your sample size if one instance where there appeared to be Karma to arguing it is something necessary would be a huge leap.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Sorry, correction. Hare's book is about high functioning psychopaths, not sociopaths. Psychopath is believed to be a genetic thing, while sociopath is more a consequence of environment.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Yup - I was the one she passed on.

I'm still fat but my wallet is fatter.

• jackslash
    12 years ago
    I use "karma" in a light-hearted way and I think that's the way most people use it. Few strippers or other Americans have any understanding of the Hindu concept of karma or really believe in it.
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Well, of course in space there are no thoughts or feelings, but on earth, where mankind is the only part of the universe that is aware of itself, there are. It was inevitable that mankind would believe in God, good and evil, karma, etc. Karma is like "what goes around, comes around". Not a bad way to think.
  • Otto22
    12 years ago

I believe there is a universal desire for justice and karma" is an expression of that desire. Just as some believe in heaven and hell, "karma" is a hope that folks "get what they deserve". While I do not subscribe to this worldview, it seems rather natural that some people would find it attractive.
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    'Even if you are talking percentage terms, the difference can be quite a ways off from 50/50 for something as short as one lifetime. In fact the chance it will be exactly 50/50 is ((n choose n/2)/2^n )* 100%.'

Reincarnation, bitch. Also, Hindu.

I'm a little low on grass. Let me re-up and we'll continue this conversation on demystifying religion.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Sexual karma oooo yes
  • endlesstempo
    12 years ago
    I don't believe in karma in a sort of, good things happen to good people, bad things happen to bad people, sense.

The way I see the concept of karma is much more... organic, so to speak. Say you are a good guy and go out of your way to help people. A lot of people think karma means that great opportunities will just fall into that person's lap, but I disagree. By being a good person and helping people, he opens a lot of doors, but it's up to him to pursue them.

Likewise, take the example of a guy who is a classic "bad guy", he's a criminal, he's selfish, he only cares about himself, whatever. He won't have those opportunities and instead of having people who are willing to help him, they think he's an asshole so they won't - and in fact there will be plenty of people who are trying to harm him because he's wronged them. Now it's up to him to avoid them.

I don't see karma being as simple as good spawns more good, bad spawns more bad. I agree it's not some mysterious way of the universe, but instead it's how we as people view and react to things.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion