tuscl

You know what occurred to me?

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:00 PM
There's no cheese in Chinese food.

16 comments

• motorhead
    12 years ago
    Au contraire mon ami. My favorite dish is a big plate of Shrimp Lo Mein that I bring home and grate a generous amount of Parmigiano-Reggiano over the noodles. I'm breaking all the culinary rules, including using cheese with seafood, but that's some good eats.
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    I'm not big on Asians, but if I found a Chinese stripper that could cook a mean bowl of Szechuan Shrimp, I'd put a ring on her.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    How about Chinese Jews? Is there such a thing as Chinese Jews?
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    Chinese people are genetically intolerant of lactose. While turning milk into cheese reduces the lactose content, it does not eliminate it.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    It mostly has to do with the lack of domestic herding in China which is generally true of most Asian countries. In Mongolia and NW China where herding cattle and goats was more common, you see more cheese in cuisine. China has a long standing tradition of each region eating mainly what it produced, Communism reinforced that idea.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    They don't use beans either
  • HB13
    12 years ago
    Ermita_Nights, then how do Chinese babies digest mama's milk? >_> Most mammals can digest lactase fine as infants (it's one of the definitions of a mammal), but have decreased lactase enzyme production as they become adults. Decreased lactase activity correlates well with cultures who do not have a lot of diary in their diets and ranges from "5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries." [view link]
  • HB13
    12 years ago
    *Most mammals can digest LACTOSE fine as infants We really need a quick couple minute edit function.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Mr. Miyagi's protein of choice is flies - not cheese
  • smokeshopjoe
    12 years ago
    There is a second reason for the lack of cheese, 1 the climate over much of the region is less than awesome for milk production. Thus leading that culture to develop a method of extracting protein from soy and putting it into liquid form (soy milk) and that liquid can be curdled and pressed just like cheese to make tofu. So in essence tofu is chinese cheese.
  • staxwell
    12 years ago
    There's no Little Chinatown in China...
  • endlesstempo
    12 years ago
    As some people have already mentioned, because milk and dairy in general are not common in Asia, a lot of people develop lactose intolerance due to not being exposed to milk often enough, so a lot of Chinese dishes don't use cheese. As an Asian person born and raised in the US though, I don't have this problem. Good thing too, because I fucking love cheese.
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    There have been some surprisingly informative posts in what is essentially a dunk joke thread on a strip club message board. Thanks guys! This was a fun read.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    Sometimes there’s no cheese in cheese either. The above is a tribute to Gatorfan’s famous one liners :)
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    Papi, As in fumunda cheese, toe cheese...?
  • txtittyfan
    12 years ago
    Luckily, after eating Chinese, you can still cut the cheese.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion