tuscl

Tornado hits SC

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:47 AM
I just saw that a tornado touched down in SC not far from Columbia. I hope it spared Shadowcat's playground and friends. Wow, that would give a whole new meaning to the term "blow job."

12 comments

• FONDL
    18 years ago
    AN, I agree that tornados can form anywhere, we get some around here every now and then and it's fairly hilly. But they are much more common and usually much more severe in flat areas like Tornado Alley.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    When I first started going to strip clubs, I visited a few different strippers at their homes. (I was usually just hanging out with them after they got off from work.) What I saw ranged from ordinary apartments to some slightly better apartments to a small house shared with another girl to a nice townhouse. I never visited a stripper who lived in an expensive house. Of course house prices are a whole lot higher in other parts of the country than they are here in the Carolinas.
  • AbbieNormal
    18 years ago
    Back in my homeland of western PA (also known as God's country) we had one of the worst outbreaks of tornados in recorded history back in the '80s. I think it was 50ish touched down within a few hours one day. It is a very hilly area, hills are often thought to break up the large moving cells that tornados form from, but you could see where a tornado had struck one hilltop then another leaving the valley untouched. The myth that tornados only form in flat areas comes from tornado alley, where the conditions are particularly favorable for multiple tornados.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    We often joke about strippers living in trailer parks but the truth is I've never known any who did. In fact the ones I've gotten to know well enough to know where they lived all lived in pretty nice places, usually upscale garden apartment complexes, because they could afford it. Anyone have a different experience?
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    davids what state do you live in? I actually enjoy thunderstorms and the electricity in the air. too bad you are missing out on all of it.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Seems to me that tornados tend to strike mainly in flat areas. They also seem attracted to mobile home parks. Just like strippers.
  • davids
    18 years ago
    God hates poor white trash. Not too surprising that he should periodically send a tornado to deal with South Carolina.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    Within the US, tornadoes can strike almost anywhere so moving may not matter. However, there is a reason the midwest is called tornado alley. I definitely would want an underground shelter if I lived in that area. Those F5 tornadoes will rip apart every residential home I have ever seen so you would only survive one of those monsters underground or in a very good shelter. I believe it's much more impressive to see actual damage than to read about it. Seeing a 400 ton railroad boxcar blown several feet off the railroad tracks and a steel tower built to withstand straight line winds of over 300 mph twisted around like a twisty got my respect.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    A short while after she left there, a tornado totally destroyed a restaurant in southern MD where my ATF had worked. It took out the whole downtown area of the town. Funny thing is a tornado had hit in exactly the same area 50 years earlier. That'd be enought to get me to move.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    That was probably a tornado a bit closer to me in the upstate of SC unless you're referring to another one. I'm used to seeing lots of exciting weather. However that one wasn't even close. I do remember a tiny dust devil formed around me one time and stayed centered on me for several seconds as I was walking across a college campus many years ago. I was just thinking about this the other day and wondered what are the odds? I've also been directly underneath a tornado. That's not something I want to repeat.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    This thread made me remember something I thought was really amusing. It was on another windy night around some college dorms. The wind was occasionally blowing the heavy lobby doors open up to a foot or two. Except when I approached and the door swung wide open. I walked through without touching it and then it closed behind me as if an invisible person was guiding it. A guy in the lobby was watching with big eyes and was in such a hurry to get away from me that he knocked over some furniture in his mad dash. Strange events can be quite amusing. I thought it was a bit strange but cool when the door opened for me when I left the lobby about 30 minutes later. I was playing an arcade game and I didn't see anyone the whole time.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I guess you could say the wind did a nice blow job that night opening doors for me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion