tuscl

Isaac: Vice Squad and Hurricanes

Book Guy
I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
So here we are, wondering whether we're about to get hit with Katrina-2 in New Orleans. I'm doing the usual preps, and I'm not any more worried than usual. I'll just drive out of town at 3 in the morning if I do have to leave, with the computer files all backed up in the trunk of the car. It's kinda fun, evacuation-vacation.

But I started to think, maybe, does policing get different at strip clubs right before hurricanes? I know that my city's clubs will try to stay open as best as possible, just as they did after Katrina. Some of the clubs that cater to "mostly locals" will probably be low-key. But the main touristy French Quarter clubs will be all gung-ho to get back up and running as soon as possible, because they run with a high overhead and very little margin for error, and because the presence of any cash-wielding away-from-home males (such as power company linemen, extra National Guardsmen during off-duty hours, etc.) means it's a bonanza.

So, should I go hog-wild immediately before the potential arrival of Isaac, on the premise that the cops are all looking elsewhere and doing more important things so the extras services will be extra available? Or do I really restrain myself in the advent of the storm, on the premise that the LAST damn place you want to have to spend a hurricane is in Orleans Parish Central Lock-Up?

10 comments

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    If you want to roll the dice with regards to your Vice Squad that is your personal decision. If I had a Hurricane coming toward me, I'd get my ass to safety.
  • Dolfan
    12 years ago
    We only got the outskirts of Isaac, but there was no evidence of anything other than the standard summertime rainy sunday. Nothing out of the ordinary at all, same # of customers, dancers, other staff, etc. I noticed a lot of places closed up on my way out, but the club itself was BAU.
  • jack0505
    12 years ago
    If this storm is so bad that the place evacuates, the strippers will evacuate too and the club won't be open because all customers who don't feel like drowning in a flood will also evacuate.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Fuck, what's a Cat 2 hurricane. LOL. PARTY !!! In New Orlean's case, being below sea level, it's a problem I'll admit. And with the legendary crookedness of New Orleans cops, let see what the assholes do this time.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    It is COMING New Orleans!
  • Book Guy
    12 years ago
    Well, it was so goddammed much trouble to board up the house (and the houses of the little old ladies who are my neighbors) that I didn't have the energy or time to hit a strip club. We are all of us "sheltering in place" for this one, not worthy of an evacuation. If the levees fail again and we flood again, then I guess I'll have to drive out of town with the other slackers, but for now I'm just expecting a lot of rain and wind. Cat-1 or at tops a very low Cat-2 as it goes overhead here in New Orleans.

So, I didn't get to try out my theory that there would be no cops policing the strip clubs because of the hurricane. Next time ... :P
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Best of luck, Book Guy.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    You should respect Hurricanes More! Hope you don't get injured or killed as a result of your indifference!
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    I respect them, that's why I took precautions as Hurricane Irene bore down on us last summer in Virginia Beach. The eye passed us just to the East about 10 miles offshore Saturday night. All day Saturday was hazardous, but with proper planning they can be endured, Dracula. It's not for everyone, but I am glad to say I saw nature in one of her extremes.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    I wonder if Book Guy is underwater?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion