tuscl

Need help with budgeting

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:04 PM
Anyway the current lease on where I am living is almost up, and I am moving out. Right now I have a roommate but he is not renewing the lease since he was promoted and is moving out of Lexington. In other words I am going to have to budget my money better since I am going to be living solo. I make around 1500 a month. I am trying to find an apartment around 450 to 550 a month in rent. That plus utilities, 401k, and food will pretty much be around 650 to 750 for all necessities. Also add in random expenses brings it up to around 800. I am thinking of spending around 150 a club visit and going every other Saturday like I have been, but I will be spending only half as much as I am now. Plan on moving mid September. My overall point is do you all, being other regulars and older people with more life experience, think that I can live comfortably with this financial plan? Have or are you all in a similiar situation? I want to go and have fun at strip clubs but still live comfortably. Lexington KY has a high cost of living unfortunatly but that is the city life for you.

29 comments

• sinclair
    12 years ago
    Probably your best bet it to find a roommate or two. Splitting the utilities should free up more cash for the titty bars. Where I live, $450-550/month is nonexistent outside of "rough" or very rural areas.
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    Many times, the rent per person drops with the larger units in a given complex. For example: 1BR $500, 2BR $900, 3BR $1200, 4BR $1400. Find roommates. Even better if they like strip clubs too.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Sinclair I agree that a roommate will be helpful. I have created an account on [view link] and hopefully I can get someone to live with me. I still have a month and a half to figure this all out. For Lexington the closer one is to downtown the more expensive the cost of living. The apartments that have one bed, one bath for under 600 are on the edges of the city, and aren't that close to the downtown area. The good thing is all Lexington strip clubs are not downtown since Lexington doesn't allow them to open in downtown, and where I work at isn't downtown either. Lexington is generally a clean city and doesn't have too many rough areas.
  • Fenster
    12 years ago
    You could a part-time job as a floor manager at a club. That way, instead of spending money in clubs, you'd be making money. And, when a dancer wants a better work schedule, or wants to take a night off, or wants to be re-hired after being fired, you get free poonanny.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Fenster it would be tough getting that as a part time job. However a part time job at a strip club would be nice. Not sure if any clubs in the area are hiring part time positions right now though.
  • steve3003
    12 years ago
    @Omega22: Even at your young age, $1500 is too little to be budgeting for SCs. You need to find yourself a good girlfriend to relieve them stress (of course, you may get more stress if you end up with a bad one) and, more importantly, forge a career path that leads to at least 6-7 times that amount (after taxes) even to consider a lifestyle that includes regular visits to SCs. Otherwise you're on a path to being a fucking loser who depends on pussy from strippers. And with them chinese buying up everything, unless you focus like a laser beam (there ain't a cavalry coming to your rescue) your generation is gonna have an especially hard time. Cause we old timers screwed up. Anyhow, a guy needs to keep an eye on the big picture. Same for gals in this day and age. Don't become one of them democrat pie splitters. You'll have a miserable life.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Also in case anyone was wondering 1500 is net income. My gross is 2000 but taxes, benefits, and 401k eat me alive. Steve3003 I understand what you saying. Hopefully one day I will be making that kind of money and I am sure I will after a couple promotions. My goal is to be making around six to seven times more in a decade or so when I am in my mid thirties. Strip clubs are just so much fun. I have been thinking about the idea of sticking to deja vu Lexington since it is cheaper and if I go there twice a month then it would be better for me financially vs other clubs. I could go to better clubs when I get paid more on down the road. The idea of a girlfriend has crossed my mind. Also I understand what you mean with the girlfriend statement. I am considering a girlfriend but not much luck at all with getting a good girlfriend in the past.
  • 2ndScoop
    12 years ago
    I'd recommend passing on so many SC visits and focus on gym, career, and dating. Best of luck
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Yeah, like the others say you are a total mismatch for the strip club world. But that is actually a good thing, Now with as little income as you have the very most important thing you can do is NOT listen to txtittyfan's financial advice. Cause if you do you'll just end up with margin calls and be broke forever. If you want to make money, however, doing the opposite of what he advises should definitely work out well. Good luck!
  • thesamurai
    12 years ago
    401k is a choice bro, if its cramping your style, opt out. I don't recommend that, but if you want the money now vs. later opt out. Same with your bennies. If you're a healthy dude, you don't "need" health insurance.
  • Clackport
    12 years ago
    Do everything in your power to find a roommate.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    When you're asking random strangers on the internet for "budget" advice, then you need to reevaluate.
  • mmdv26
    12 years ago
    You should not be going to strip clubs. Do you have any savings? What happens if you lose your $2K/mo job? Knock off the SC's for a while until you get a few months of income saved.
  • steve229
    12 years ago
    "You need to find yourself a good girlfriend" What Pops forgets is that for most guys finding a "good" girlfriend eventually leads to getting married, a mortgage, kids, braces, cars, college tuition, etc. So by the time your income has gone up 6-7 times, your living expenses have risen proportionally and you end up with the same or less disposable income than you have now. The girlfriend route might work, but you have to have the discipline of a Dererk Jeter to pull it off.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    "You need to find yourself a good girlfriend" My dad always told me "if it has tits or tires it going to cost you money" You never mentioned a car payment. That's good but your probably need a car in a few years. Maybe they're right. You should stop for at least a few months and build a kittle savings. Maybe try going to the clubs but no dances. If you're Deja Vu is no alcohol, you could save money.
  • jacobs.patrick7
    12 years ago
    I think that you are coming to this forum to get sympathetic advice. Not saying that you shouldn't go to a SC, but debt is a nasty monster. Your making about $11/hour. You want to spend your 2 workdays pay, every Saturday night at a SC? That's 40% of your weekly pay on SC. I don't even know how you do it with a roommate.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Looks like sociology was not a very good choice for your major.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    Keep going to strip clubs. Hook up with a dancer and move in with her. Then quit your job and let her support you.
  • steve3003
    12 years ago
    @steve229 and @motorhead: finally some reasonable utterances from junior and super geekhead. "if it has tits or tires it going to cost you money" geekhead's dad was a wise one; didn't rub off on junior though. @Omega22: Back to 2012. These days there are enough gals out there with good paying jobs so that short-term $$$ ain't gonna be a deal breaker. Pretty sure Lexington's got them too. Long-term, geekhead's dad is still right. But them career gals don't wanna get hitched till they're in the their 30s, so your goal's accomplished. One of my younger golfing buddies (bout motor-fuck-head's age) had his wife leave for another man a couple of years back. He's got two kids in high school that are staying with him. Fucking bitch. But money wasn't an issue. He's an orthopedic surgeon but his wife makes equal to better money. So go find yourself a career gal and leave them strippers for old bitter geezers.
  • steve3003
    12 years ago
    @Omega22: forget about all I said. The guys talking bout room mates and such are giving better advice. You are a young guy, good kid, somewhat naive, not too accomplished in the girlfriend department, and not on the fast track jobs wise. Most of them career girls ain't gonna be interested in you. They put high premium on looks and/or career prospect. So no point in trying to be the exception that proves the rule. If you can settle with an average girl (most guys do), and be reasonably content, go that route. If you've been bitten already and got a life long addiction to pretty gals, there's no good cure so you gotta manage with what you got. Just be careful and never forget: them strippers don't care about you. It's all about money. You ain't got much of it, but they'll gladly take all you got. Keep that in mind, and maybe you won't end up a casualty story.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    I have read all the comments. I appreciate the advice and I will try to respond the best I can. I saw a few comments relating to finances. So I will try to sum up an answer. My 401k isn't that expensive it only takes out 4 percent a paycheck so around 45 dollars since I am too young to put too much into it. I have considerd getting rid of health insurance but my parents want me to keep it and I still rely on them for cell phone bills and they paid off my car so I am still sort of relying on them, but so are most young adults. Also I am getting paid 13 an hour, not 11, and right now I actually only spend around 400 on rent and utiltiies right now and add all other expenses I spend around 550 to 600. So I have around 700 of spending money and still have a little left over. Steve3003 I do agree with you that the comments relating to getting a roommate are valid, and again I appreciate everyone helping me out. I am looking for a roommate and hopefully things will work out. Worst comes to worst Deja Vu can be where I am a regular at since it is the least expensive. Many college students go in there and most of them have less money then me even if I am living by myself.
  • randy77
    12 years ago
    Omega22 - Don't give up the health insurance. It's probably not that much or the 401k. Don't give up your future (insurance and retirement money) for a few extra $$ to fuck around. BTW, you just graduated college. Don't you have any student loans to pay back? Your past posts said you majored in Finance with minor in sociology. So, you should know the answer unless your judgement is clouded by addiction to strip clubs. Money guru, Dave Ramsey, was a millionaire by 23, broke by 27 and then a multi-millionaire again. You need to decide what's really important, set those goals and take the steps to achieve them. Use your current job as a stepping stone to something better. These days people move to other companies for better money. The days of staying with a company for years are long gone. If you majored in finance you should be making more than $13/hr even out of college. Don't wait for a promotion and be satisfied with $13/hr. Actively look for something better and study to improve your chances of getting something better.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Hire a fucking CPA already
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Randy77 I understand what you mean. I am using my finance skills but was also looking for some advice from people that have experienced more than I have. As for student loans my parents paid for my college, and I also had plenty of scholarship money. My addiction to strip clubs are also playing a role in my judgment, as I will admit to that. I have recently applied to a job that is better than the one I have, but within the company I work for. Also the current job market made it tough even for a college grad to get a really good job. There are people I graduated with that don't even make as much as I do. Hopefully I will be able to make more soon and use my degree better.
  • Darkblue999
    12 years ago
    Omega22,Your monthly earning is very very less. Please concentrate on increasing your income [view link] this economy if one loses current job, its really tough to get another [view link] dont even have decent savings in case something unwanted [view link] can reduce your strip club visit to once in two months.Why I am saying is if you visit SC once every 2 weeks, you cannot concentrate on getting new job. Since you are major in finance, try jobs in finance. There are many jobs in Finance in IT which are still unfilled. People who have good business knowledge in GL, AP, Purchasing, AR etc., will get a job as business analyst or functional analyst which will fetch you more than 70k in beginning .Eventually you will be paid north of 100k. Target for salaried in this range not like $2000 - $3000 per month. It make 1-1.5 yrs to get into the industry.Once you enter then no returning back.Then you can spend lavishly at SCs. I earn more than 5k per month, 5k per year goes to 401k. Have mortgage. Still I hesitate to spend more than $1000 per year. I know it is too tempting not to go to SCs. But till you get decent pay you have to control. Reduce the number of visits or increase your [view link] two cents.
  • TABB
    12 years ago
    @omega22- I'm in the similar boat as you are. My first year of having a actual adult job and going to strip clubs was taking a toll on my finances plus we are the same age. Granted my first couple of months I was making close to 50 grand a year but my company I work for gave there employees a cutback of 8 grand a year. I had roommate for 9 months and I thought I was saving up money which I did but I was span ding around 250 bucks a week on strip clubs. Couple months before my roommate was going to move out I told myself to go out more with my friends to regular bars and only go to SC once or twice a month. 9 months later I'm paying my full rent which is 700 bucks, new car around 400, student loan is supposed to be 120 per month but I'm paying 250 and other utilities with small bills put together. My financial status is better then before because I only go out strip clubbing once month or twice month. Always keep health insurance just incase anything happens. Only go to your top 2 favorite clubs and rotate them around so you won't be bored of saying the same girls. Check for club promotion or special like free cover, 2 for 1 dances stuff like that. There's one club in my area that has 5 dollar covet, 5 dollar dances and 3 dollar you call it. Every first Tuesday of the month. Take out 20 bucks a weeks for 8 to 10 weeks and blow all that money that you saved up plus how much you will bring going strip clubbing at the same time still going once or twice a month. Don't forget when your income taxe money comes in that's another resource of cash.
  • canny
    12 years ago
    I agree with the people who said get a job working at a strip club. I earn a lot more than most people and I'm tempted to get a part time job on Friday and Saturday nights working at a strip club but I don't have what it takes to be a bouncer and jobs as bartenders and DJ's are hard to find.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Darkblue999: I understand what you mean. I think the best thing to do is to try out Deja vu club strictly since it is cheaper and budget around 150 to 200 a month, and just see where that goes. Thank you for your advice though it is appreciated. AfricanLovePimp: I agree. I applied to many internships but never made it past the interview. My GPA was only a 3.1 and most poeple that get an internship have a 3.5. So I am at an entry level position and planning on moving up. Many college students are struggling with underemployment though. Tabb: Glad to see we are in similiar situations. However you said 50 grand a year that is really good. How did you get such a great job right out of college? Just curious. We are in a generation of underemployment unfortunatly. I will PM you. Canny: I agree I definitly wont pass up a SC part time job if it comes up.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Darkblue999: I understand what you mean. I think the best thing to do is to try out Deja vu club strictly since it is cheaper and budget around 150 to 200 a month, and just see where that goes. Thank you for your advice though it is appreciated. AfricanLovePimp: I agree. I applied to many internships but never made it past the interview. My GPA was only a 3.1 and most poeple that get an internship have a 3.5. So I am at an entry level position and planning on moving up. Many college students are struggling with underemployment though. Tabb: Glad to see we are in similiar situations. However you said 50 grand a year that is really good. How did you get such a great job right out of college? Just curious. We are in a generation of underemployment unfortunatly. I will PM you. Canny: I agree I definitly wont pass up a SC part time job if it comes up.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion