tuscl

zoning for a strip club

does anyone know what zones are ok for a strip club in Colorado? C-5?

14 comments

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    Call your City Hall / Planning Commission.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Yes.
  • txtittyfan
    12 years ago
    Erotic zones are good.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    The good clubs are zoned C4. The dancers will make you explode
  • Koog
    12 years ago
    yea C-4?
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    motorhead, lmfao.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    Each city and county is different. Call the planning department or community development department of the jurisdiction you are curious about (not the Planning Commission). Maybe their zoning ordinance is on line. In the past twenty years, industrial zones have been common for strip clubs and other adult businesses. See my article, "Strip Clubs in Industrial Areas," posted Feb. 23, 2011:

https://www.tuscl.net/u-a.php?UID=240605

If you really need help, you're welcome to PM me.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Zoning? why do we care?
  • xedin5436
    12 years ago
    Club_Goer is the go-to guy on this topic.

Note that strip clubs may be a special type of thing where there isn't a zone that they're allowed in without meeting a whole bunch of other criteria. In my area, the zone that they're in doesn't matter so much as that they're 1000 feet away from churches, schools, residential areas, and a bunch of other types of buildings.
  • xedin5436
    12 years ago
    Also, looking for zoning in Colorado isn't going to get you far - you'll probably need to get more local and find out zoning requirements for your city, town, or county.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    Planning and zoning is a city or county, not state, function. So there is no answer 'in Colorado'

The rules themselves will vary greatly between cities and between land that is inside the city boundaries and unincorporated spaces. In general the looser the country requirements are the more likely the city council will pass a much more restrictive law for themselves.

Very important to know the jurisdictions and their boundaries. Often you will find clubs in little patches of unincorporated land in and around a city with strict laws.

Speaking of planning codes in general for each zoning designation there are permitted uses and then there are uses that are permitted but require a Conditional Use Permit from the planning authority. And then there are uses for which a conditional use permit is requires and a custom set if rules have been created. Very typically for adult businesses these requirements specify X distance from any residential, X distance from any elementary or high school, X distance from any church, and X distance from any other similar adult business. Not too surprising that for many cities being able to meet all of these requirements means that there is no place inside the city that qualifies.

So broadly speaking you are looking for county land used for commercial or industrial purposes not close to residential uses
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    Oh, and in the general nomenclature of zoning the letter is they type of use and the number is the DENSITY of use. So for example R-1 is the lease dense housing, single family. While R-2 often is duplexes and condos, R3 is apartments, and so forth.

So C-1 might be corner mini-malls and C-5 might be heavy factories. It is a measure of density, not desirability. So a C-1 zoning for a particular jurisdiction might be fine for a tavern or private club. It is those conditional rules that get tacked on for adult businesses that are usually the killer, not the base zoning.
  • xedin5436
    12 years ago
    The zoning designations listed by inno123 are common, but not standard by any means. My city has RS-#-# for single family housing (houses), and RM-#-# for multi-family, and then a whole bunch of other crazy stuff.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    Zoning ordinances differ greatly from one city to another. That's why the OP's question can't be answered here. Just one example: The first city that I worked for was a well-known Southern California suburb. It considered 15 dwelling units per acre as "medium density." The next city I worked for was in an adjoining county, very rural in character and considered 15 d.u./acre as "very high density." When planning commissioners saw projects come in at that density, they balked at them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion