tuscl

Lap Dance Marketing

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:52 AM
As a SC regular, it pains me that so many dancers take exactly the same line of approach when they solicit dances. I know that for me personally, 9 times out of 10, this completely turns me off. Further, my most fave ATF is struggling to make the amount of $$ she could make (and needs to make). I think she has a great 'product', but I know she is weak on the marketing side. I've given this a lot thought. (Well, to be honest, I give anything having to do with strip clubs a lot of thought). And I'm working up some marketing approaches for her. I want to see what others here on TUSCL think of my ideas so I'll share those in some upcoming posts. But I want to open this line of discussion by asking fellow TUSCL'ers to comment on what approaches work and don't work when they are in a club. The floor is now open . . . .

30 comments

• gsv
    12 years ago
    Well I can say what not to do. Unless it's extremely crowded/busy and there is no time, take a moment to actually sit and talk to the customer and ask how their night is going, etc. Try to at least have a short conversation before asking if they want a dance. The "wanna dance?" hit and run is something I hate and unfortunately see quite a bit in Manhattan clubs.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    I would agree that many dancers are weak at marketing. They may have a spectacular product, so to speak, but they don't know how to sell it. I have had a number of dancers tell me that they have a good night when one guy shows up who really likes them and spends a lot on them. But this gives the customer all the power. The dancers need to know how to make customers want to buy.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    I agree that starting a several minute conversation that doesn't include "wanna dance?" s paramount in a dancer's marketing. I like it when a dancer looks me in the eyes & lightly touches me as the conversation progresses. Don't smoke with the customer, don't ask the customer to buy a drink the 1st time unless he offers, use some other method to suggest getting dances other than asking the "Wanna dance" line when the time comes to ask if the customer is interested in dancing - unless he offers 1st. MY current ATF started off our 1st meeting by politely askingn if I desired some company, instead of just sitting down without saying anything. When she sat down, she snuggled up to me. That delighted me & made me think this girl is worth spending time talking to.
  • big_d_2011
    12 years ago
    I am the type that will not approach a dancer(not counting stage tipping), she should come to me and sit down and talk. Honestly, if she is EXACTLY what I am looking for, the wanna dance line has worked. The ones that tend to spend the most mone on are great at making me feel comfortable and at least making me feel like we have some type of connection. I have found that the less attractive dancers have been very hands on about trying to get a dance. If I am interested, great sales technique.....if I am not, it is a turnoff because the dancer is not taking a hint. A girl who takes the time to get to know me has a better chance of getting my money, no matter how hands on she is. Usually I have a type though, and her sales pitch may not even matter. Just don't bug me and she will have a good chance.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    What good is "pussy power" if you don't know how to use it? The interview is a must!
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Don't: Start with "Wanna dance?" Whine about how little money you made today. Whine about boyfriends, children or child support. Ask for a drink. ASK FOR A MEAL. Bring the shot girl over or expect me to support her. Smell. Do: Make eye contact and smile. Ask about current sports. Have some general knowledge about the world outside the club. A Phd is not required. Flirt and tease--a little. Be honest about LD prices, bouncer fees and what will and will not happen in the VIP. Smell fresh, with no heavy perfume, scents or glitter. Sit closer as the conversation goes on. If a customer says "No" or "Not right now," politely excuse yourself and say "Please keep me in mind for later."
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    Asking to sit down is a great first step, it amazes me how many just sit.
  • Ironcat
    12 years ago
    Yeah, I appreciate when a dancer askes to join me and especially if she asks if i am waiting for another dancer. This gives me a graceful "out" if I know the dancer is not my type or an opportunity to engage in conversation if she is my type. It also is a benefit to a dancer if she knows she will be wasting her time sitting with me when she could be working the room (especially on a busy night). If she can get to more potential customers in a night he odds of landing customers increases.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    “Usually I have a type though, and her sales pitch may not even matter.” Same here. Men are visual and if I like what I see, she does not need much of a sales pitch. Having said this, even if she is an “11” in a scale of 1-10, but she is rude or indifferent (i.e. won’t make any sort of eye contact w/ you and looks like she rather be having a root canal than giving you a LD); then I will not bother w/ her perhaps past one LD at most.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    I don't know if teaching them marketing would help. Like anything, if they have to work on marketing you can be pretty sure that product sucks and they are just trying to hide that. Good products sell themselves. If they need to taught, they are hopeless to begin with. You think a stripper who needs to be taught that being rude is a bad idea has any hope? Best thing that some of them can and have learned is just to look good, shut up and dance (or suck dick or whatever it is they do).
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    “Best thing that some of them can and have learned is just to look good, shut up and dance” I don’t mind having some light conversation w/ a dancer – but I agree w/ the above quote when a dancer is giving me a LD. I don’t want to talk when I am getting/paying for a LD – I hate when a dancer keeps on talking while giving you a LD – I am paying for the LD so I can see, touch, and feel your (dancer) body – if I wanted to talk I would have stayed at the table.
  • camgib
    12 years ago
    Dancers should remember that being onstage is part of marketing. Those that show some energy (they don't have to be acrobats), make eye contact and act as if they want to be there raise my interest. On the other hand, a lovely girl that acts listless and uninterested while onstage is sending a message. Maybe she'll be the same in private.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    "Dougster, Juice and I are going to start our own Stripper Consulting and Training Academy, called "Skank Hoe Bootcamp" Are you hiring any instructors so I can send you my resume.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    Alucard and Superdude make good points. I will say that Dougster does make a decent point and also one that i see everytime I'm in the club, either home or away. If a girl has got a good product AND has what it takes to be a good earner, theres not alot to teach. There will always be girls who squeeze by on a few good customers but to attract the masses and overcome most rejections, you need to have a natural "something". Yes, you do need a little help starting out and some good pointers but after that you either make it or go broke
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "but to attract the masses and overcome most rejections, you need to have a natural "something"." Stiletto25 I'll tell you a little story about a woman with a natural "SOMETHING"! About 14 yrs ago a new RN came to work in the OR where I worked. She was a petite woman with kind of an average body & face. A girl-next-door type. From the 1st day in the Dept she had most of the males eying her & flirting with & just plain lusting after her! Why you ask? Well she had the absolute STRONGEST "Sex Appeal" that I've ever experienced in my 57.99 yrs on Earth! This "Sex Appeal" literally oozed out of every pore, it was almost overpowering. Any dancer with a strong Sex appeal like that shouldn't need much help with marketing. She just needs to realize the power of that Sex Appeal & the effect on Men. By the way Mr Dougster, you can crawl back under your rock! LMFAO
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    @alucard: Leave now? Just as the board is seeing through you and turning on you? Nah. Too much fun to watch.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    For me, any dancer asking is almost always going to get a no. I decide which and when. If I want a particular dancer, she will know by my tipping and such.
  • lopaw
    12 years ago
    I'm easy - anything short of "wanna dance?" and she's got a shot.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    The thing is, if she fits the bill physically 'wanna dance' may be all that is necessary. So that is all that they think they need to try Now in borderline cases and slow nights it may take more. 1. Eye contact and smile. Do something to get face-to-face level with him rather than towering over him bow, squat, sit, etc. 2. lean in a little. 3. Make some contact, but don't immediately go for the Tijuana Handshake. Hand on shoulder, hand on arm, etc. 4. If you haven't convinced him in one or two songs, move along. 5. If there is a special coming up in the next song or two, mention it. If he doesn't agree to take you up on the special, move on. 6. This is a heavy artillery move...offer a shoulder rub. Then at the end of a few seconds of shoulder rub lean down and whisper in his ear what you will do in the VIP. Whispering is super sexy but in most clubs it is so loud that it is impossible without getting very close but the shoulder rub gimmick allows it. 7. If the shoulder rub doesn't do it say 'I hate shouting, can I come closer? If they say yes, the depending on the type of seat either sit on his lap or sit in contact with him on the bench and again whisper in hie ear. And it should pretty much go without saying no glitter, minimal scent, fresh breath.
  • randy77
    12 years ago
    Sorry to disagree Dougster, but times are tough and dancers need to pry the money out of some people's pockets. It's not really about having a good product. It's about increasing profits or even making money in lean times. If the product sells itself, why does Cocoa Cola, Pepsi and McDonald's have commercials? So many dancers have told me they're only making a fraction of what they made last year. I've noticed a lot less people in the clubs as well. The posters on another thread verify this. Everyone, including I think you, mentioned how they used to go to SC a lot more than they do now, due to economic circumstances. I know a dancer that is very pretty, but I didn't talk to her for a long time, because I thought she was stuck-up. Turns out she's insecure and hates being rejected. Being pretty isn't good enough. They do need to work on marketing their assets to increase sales. This is my advice for dancers to increase sales: Marketing is much more than simply walking up to someone and asking, "Wanna dance?" The right presentation makes it difficult for the prospect to say, "No." There have been times in which I had no interest in a particular girl, but the way she presented herself made it so I couldn't say, "No." First, she needs to figure out who is interested in her. She should take a walk through the club and take notice of who is following her with their eyes and of course who has tipped her while on stage. Once she's singled out her prey, the following process shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to execute: She should invade their personal space, which is the 18 inches around you, and people usually stick to this distance when conversing. If someone is attracted to you (the dancer should have figured this out during the club walk through), then decreasing this distance will increase the attraction. I'm not making this up about the 18 inches. Ask a psychologist. If you're 2 feet from a beautiful woman, you may feel some desire, but if you're only 2" from her the desire is greatly increased. Personally, I love a woman with lots of perfume. Many times it makes women I don't care for seem irresistable, especially if they are wearing Poison or Chanel No-5. So, standing closer to the prospect will increase the chances of the prospect sampling this aroma. The dancer doesn't have to grope and grab, but lightly caress a bare arm or the back of the neck of the prospect and look into their eyes to ask for the dance as described below: Finally the question: Any salesman will tell you never to ask a yes/no question, such as, "Wanna dance?" The prospect instinctively goes on the defense and blurts out, "No." Instead rephrase the question to one in which yes/no is not the natural response, so that it's harder to say, "No." Try something like, "There's no one watching in the back. Come with me and let's have a real good time." While she asks the question, she 'lightly' pulls him towards the VIP. Sometimes people just need a little nudge.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    No product sales itself. If only because after a bit of success it will have competition. The best selling products in the world fight for sales, or they die.
  • DougieJ
    12 years ago
    Offering a table dance usually helps give a little experience of what sort of dance she might offer in private. Plus, for some the best marketing approach is the stage, and that's how some would like to make their decision.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "Once she's singled out her RREY" That is a really bad attitude for a dancer to take, at least with me. "I’m the one with money and I also believe in the traditional gender roles, so I will be the one who decides not only what but when and how much I will buy." Do the dancers always bow deeply & say "YES SIR", when you decide on one Che? Do they dare decline you?
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Sorry that should be: "Once she's singled out her PREY".
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Marketing of anything is seldom so cut and dried as some in this thread make it out to be. There *are* some principles of psychology at work, but at least in the "up close and personal" style of marketing that generally happens in strip clubs, much of the success or failure of any given approach depends on many different factors, including, but not limited to, individual mood and sobriety level. Various seemingly incompatible approaches will work for me at various times. Sometimes an aggressive and forward dancer will strike just the right chord. Sometimes it's the shy, submissive approach (ok, for me, that latter will nearly always work). Hell, sometimes "wanna dance" works. It all depends on my mood, the dancer, and the night.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    I find that I can find more information from talking to them for a while. In particular I want to see if their stripper world view is that job is about hustling people out of their money for nothing, or if they think they should actually have to work to please guys to get that money. Of course, I don't ask that directly, but there will be subtle hints to that as we talk. And if they are exaagerating too much one way, great chance they are lying. "Wanna dance" is a bit trickier. If she is hot, I have a decision to make. I will usually look at them for few seconds after that, engage in some non-verbal communication and then go with my instinct. Sometimes the ones who talk the least are the best, and many a good stripper/customer relation has started with "wanna dance?"
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    @randy: What I was trying to say is that if the product is good, especially, in this case then the marketing will come naturally. They will look good, and know to be polite, and not try to rip people off. If they fail on one of these three counts, then I doubt teaching them sales/marketing skills is going to help. Their rudeness/impoliteness is probably deeply rooted in their personality, and their primary motivation for stripping is not to make money. (Let's see mikeya02's dumb brain short circuit on that statement.)
  • magicrat
    12 years ago
    I tend to agree with gmd re: it depends on the day/mood/sobriety/etc. One of my favorite's first line was "want to do 2 for $25? I don't see her too often these days, but that was two and a half years ago. Some girls got it, some girls don't. Same as with any business.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Most girls usually try and have small talk with me before asking for a dance. Sometimes they wont even ask until later. Platinum Plus in Lexington the girls actually sit on your lap and try to get you turned on while they have small talk. Not so often do girls give me a one liner of, "Want a dance?"
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @magicrat: It's not quite as simple as "wanna dance", but I remember a few months ago a girl was on stage moving quite nicely. I didn't even realize that she'd noticed me watching her until she came over to my table, passing others who'd been at the stage, and said "Does the way you were eye-fucking me on stage mean you wanna dance?" In that particular case, it worked well.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion