tuscl

Life has its' ups and downs

Former TV weatherman drugged and scammed at Miami hotelBy Nancy Trejos, USA TODAY

A former Philadelphia TV weatherman has opened up about how he lived out the Hangover movie when two Eastern European beauties he met at a luxury South Beach hotel allegedly drugged him and charged more than $40,000 on his credit card.
In an interview with ABC's 20/20 last week, John Bolaris described meeting the two women at the hotel bar in March 2010 during a vacation to Florida.
The two women approached him and asked him if he wanted a shot. He declined, but they insisted, he told ABC. They had a few drinks then all piled into a taxi to go to another bar. But on the way, the women asked if they could make a detour to see a painting that a friend was selling for charity. Bolaris said he agreed to. His memory became hazy after that.
"I remember standing up ... signing something, vaguely," he told ABC. "Next thing I know, I'm in a cab with a big painting [of a woman's head]."
He did not regain full consciousness until the next morning in his hotel suite, with the painting nearby. Soon after, he got a call from the women offering to return his sunglasses.
"How bad can they be?" he recalled thinking at the time. Plus, he wanted to return the painting.
He met the women at the hotel that evening and once again got into a cab with them. On the way, they once again insisted on a detour, this time to an unmarked storefront. "And next thing I know, I'm passed out," Bolaris said.
Again he woke up the next day feeling sick. Even more so when he got a call from his credit card company asking about $43,712.25 worth of charges, including one of $2,480 for the painting.
Turns out he was allegedly the victim of an elaborate ring. ABC News studied hours of FBI surveillance videos and photos showing how the group of bar girls, known as "b-girls," targeted wealthy male tourists in South Beach and stole thousands of dollars from each one.
The FBI said Bolaris was one of 88 men targeted by the women from Eastern Europe at such Miami hotspots as Hotel Delano, Clevelander and Fontainebleau.
The FBI spent 13 months and more than $1 million investigating the case. The ring allegedly involved a complicated scheme taking advantage of Florida's "innkeeper law," which forces customers disputing a charge to challenge the bill with their credit card company rather than the bar owner.
In this case, the girls allegedly took their victims to an illegitimate club, where they were charged exorbitant amounts of money for liquor they didn't order and forced to pay by dirty cops.
After an undercover investigation, the FBI raided the club and arrested 16 suspects, including Stan Pavlenko, who has pleaded not guilty.
Bolaris lost his job, but won his court battle with American Express to have the $43,000 reimbursed. He plans to testify when the case against the ring goes to federal court in October

16 comments

• vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Dang, I'm really glad now I just went to the strip clubs in South Florida.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Florida again. :)
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    I don't have ENOUGH $$$$$ to be a target. And not Drinking Alcohol I suppose might help. Plus I think Mr Bolaris made some questionable choices for companionship. oh well...Live & Learn - Sometimes the HARD WAY!!! LOL
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    There is a whole subculture of women in Miami Beach and other cities that I refer to as "bottle whores". When you get bottle service at a club, they start flirting like crazy with you while helping themselves to the topshelf liquor. You get the vibe that they are into you, but as soon as the liquor is gone, they go leech onto the next guy with bottles. The women in the story sound like this type, only ten times worse.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    I'll lay odds his credit limit is reduced after that one (Amex does have a limit even on their "no limit" cards.)
  • maburton
    12 years ago
    I've heard this same store verbatim before. It must have been in 2010 when that first happened.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    I've had drinks at the Delano, Clevelander and Fontainebleau and nothing like that has happened to me. I guess I don't look rich enough.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    maburton, that wouldn't surprise me. I've seen similar if not the same story with minor variations. "B" girl crime spree lives on.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    I'm surprised he went back to them after passing out the first time. I never pass out unless I'm super sleepy or something is wrong.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Following txtittyfan's financial advice has its ups and its downs as well. For instance he mentioned treasuries, which went up. Problem is he said to short them, so your equity would have gone down (over 60%, in fact!)
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    che: "I’m not sure I’m entirely comfortable with these credit card companies getting stuck holding the bag for all of these *victims*. Stupid is as stupid does."

Most credit cards allow you to dispute charges. This is one of the incentives for a customer to use a credit card. The credit card company can then refuse to pay the vendor.
  • steve229
    12 years ago

And the credit card company has a duty to perform due diligence to avoid credit card fraud. Most have programs in place to monitor spending habits/levels and automatically flag questionable charges. Surprisingly that didn't happen in this case.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    Got to love Florida. Always something going on.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Let's take "C" and "G" out for drinks and dinner, Clubber.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    vm, AMEN!!!
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    "I don’t know where to draw the line but somewhere personal responsibility should enter the equation."

Yeah, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion