tuscl

Why I don't use Valet Service.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:26 AM
TV sting targets Florida lot where cruisers park By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY Is it safe to leave your car at a port-side parking lot while you take a cruise? A sting by Orlando's WFTV that targeted a parking lot near Florida's Port Canaveral is raising the issue. After receiving a tip that the owner of Premier Parking Spot in Cocoa, Fla., was using customers' cars while they were away, WFTV left a flashy new convertible Corvette at the lot to see what would happen. Six hours later, a GPS tracking device the station had attached to the car showed it was in motion, and a WFTV helicopter caught what the station says is video of the lot's owner and another employee joyriding in the car. WFTV says the lot owner used the car to peel out on dirt roads, took it to an Applebee's restaurant and parked it overnight at his house. On another day, he used it to run errands, including a stop at an Ace Hardware, and he loaded it with lumber at his home and allowed a dog in it, the station says. When confronted by a WFTV reporter, the owner denied he'd ever taken a customer's car for a joyride while he thought they were away on a cruise, the station says. Port Canaveral is a home port for Disney Cruise Line's Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy; Carnival Cruise Lines' Carnival Sensation and Carnival Ecstasy; and Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas

17 comments

• vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Although, the story focuses on Cruise ship parking, I've never felt comfortable giving the keys to my Vette to a Valet. I like the car too much to risk it with some young idiot.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    I agree vince. Here is another reason. a couple of weeks ago I was talking to a favorite dancer at my favorite club. This last winter, when the valet gave her car back to her, it smelled like pot.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    How do you get into a Club like The Penthouse on 8 Mile Vince?
  • dallas702
    12 years ago
    Valet risk, is not really an issue with my usual transport. Seven year old Neon 4 cyls are not moron magnets! I did once show up in my 1972 Porsche 914, 3L with a race tranny = Valet really wanted to drive that and I said NO. The valet did show me a place to park near the valet stand and boxed my car in with employee cars so it wouldn't get scratched. That was $30 spent (hey, I had to tip the guy) to not valet park! And why I always drive the wus car to clubs now.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    On the rare occasion I've had to use a valet I've been lucky enough to be in a rental. Otherwise, I'm parking across the street.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Simple, Alucard. I don't drive the Vette on those occasions. My trusty and very slightly rusty old car parks on the side street and I've never had any problems there.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    My car comes with a valet key that cuts engine power and won't work on the trunk or glove compartment. Still not inclined to bring it to a strip club though.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    I hear newer cars started with a valet key cuts the engine off in a couple minutes.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    “On the rare occasion I've had to use a valet I've been lucky enough to be in a rental” On a recent trip to Houston (early March), I went to a popular SC on a late Saturday night – the parking lot was packed and I had to valet park for $20 smacks. The valet guy barely spoke English (he said he was from Kosovo) but I handed him my keys. It turns out that along with barely speaking English, it looked like he could barely drive. The next day I noticed a big scratch on the back side of the passenger-side mirror – and I know for a fact that scratch was not there before – what a freaking moron. It has also been documented on several TV shows how valets often steal whatever they can get their hands on. I also remember once while in South Beach, that I saw a gentleman give the keys of a late-model Mercedes to a valet. After the gentleman left, I noticed the valet floor the Mercedes up the inclined ramp of the parking garage all the time spinning the rear tires. My brother turned to me and said – “that’s why I never valet”. I go so some dives/seedy-SCs sometimes and I rather valet than park with the hoodlums – but when I do this, I always tell the valet I want to park it myself. I don’t trust anyone driving my car.
  • newmark
    12 years ago
    I don't go clubbing at home, so the valet never gets a chance to park my car. However, if it were an issue for me, my biggest fear would be the valet leaving something incriminating in the car for the wife to find.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    I always bring my peace of shit car.....then I toss a gernad in the trunk then walk off in slow motion as the car and like the moves the next 2 blocks blows the fuck up behind me !................ya I know my life is like a goddamn mountian dew commercial !
  • spoonie
    12 years ago
    Bueller?.... Bueller?.... Bueller?
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Bob saget ! Bob saget ! Bob saget !
  • Otto22
    12 years ago
    Anybody so cheap that they will park in Cocoa Instead of the ramps at Port Canaveral deserves Whatever happens.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    I saw a similar tv show showing what happens when you drop your car off to be worked on at some car repair shops. At some of these places, they will look around for any money left in the glove compartment or inside the center compartment or wherever there may be something. Then they may joy ride. I don't believe any of the local places in my area do this but apparently some places do. Maybe my memory is not good and that was some valet service. It probably was.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    If I was rich and if it wasn't illegal, my car would have anti-theft and anti-vandalism devices consisting of multi-turreted guns that pop up and start shooting at anyone who gets too close to my vehicle. If they hit it with something I guess it could be rigged with something non lethal like a spray of paintballs and some type of targeting system to locate the attacker. If they managed to steal the car without the correct secret thumb print, the car could blow up or the driver and passengers subject to 50,000 volts. I believe someone already has a theft deterrent 50,000 volt system. Doors get locked too so they can't get out.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Stupid me left my favorite jazz CD on the seat when I gave the car to the valet. Noticed it gone the next day.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion