tuscl

Summer Olympics in London

Women beach volleyball players don't have to wear bikinis at Olympics
By Chris Chase, Yahoo News
Women beach volleyball players won't have to wear bikinis at the 2012 London Olympics. A new rule announced Tuesday says that participants in this summer's beach volleyball competition can wear shorts and sleeved tops.
Athletes in the event have exclusively worn bikinis since the sport was introduced at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. Competitors could also wear bodysuits in cold-weather events.ce Harry angles for beach-volleyball tickets at London Olympics]
"Shorts of a maximum length of [1.18 inches] above the knee, and sleeved or sleeveless tops," will now be allowed, according to the new IOC ruling.
Since the Beijing Olympics, most beach volleyball competitions have changed rules to allow for more modest uniforms. It's an attempt to broaden the diversity in the sport, which tends to be dominated by athletes from Europe, Brazil and the United States. Allowing shorts and shirts can encourage participation from countries with more modest cultural beliefs.
As the AP reports, the field at London's beach volleyball competition won't be dictated by world rankings, as in Olympics past. Qualifying tournaments on various continents will fill the 24-team draw.

12 comments

• vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Oh well, political correctness rears its' ugly head again.
  • JuiceBox69
    13 years ago
    Fuck em ! I'm still going to jackoff ! Ain't going to stop me sheeeeuuuut !
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    What's politically correct about *allowing* competitors to wear what they want? Now, I'd they *required* the new apparel, or forbade the bikini, then I'd agree. As it stands, they give them a choice; nearly always a good thing, IMO.
  • Rabbit21
    13 years ago
    There's no way the bikini's stay in circulation with this new rule. It's a sad day, but I suppose it was bound to happen.
  • jester214
    13 years ago
    Next headline: Volleyball viewership plummets.

I've seen them wear shorts outside of the olympics, so other leagues must already have the rule.
  • jester214
    13 years ago
    Next headline: Volleyball viewership plummets.

I've seen them wear shorts outside of the olympics, so other leagues must already have the rule.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    george, it's politically correct to change things to suit other countries IMO. If that's the way they want it, that's OK, but I'll admit I'd rather watch those athletic bods in bikinis.
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    WTF!!!!!! I am going to Europe this coming summer to a family reunion in Sweden. After that I will be going to southern France where my place in Saint Raphael is just NOT selling. (Piss me off!) Do you guys know how many nude beaches there are on the Mediterranean coast of Southern France?

Forget beach volleyball at the London Olympics. Come to southern France!!!!! I can show you guys some mighty fine `corps nus` sur les plages de la Mediteranee. That is `hot naked bods on Mediterranean beaches`.

Parc du Lion; Route de la Corniche: Saint Raphael, France. (Aug12-Aug15).

I can show you guys some seriously funky clubs in Marseille. Bring brass knucks and knives!

• bang69
    13 years ago
    political correctness is a bunch of BS!!!!!
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    @steve: I disagree. Merely *allowing* competitors to wear something they're comfortable warring isn't PC. *Requiring* other competitors to dress according to the prudes' comfort levels would be.

What you're suggesting as politically correct would be like the French claiming that allowing other competitors to shave their armpits to be "politically correct."
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    I could say something about the French, but I was raised better. LOL
  • DoctorDarby
    13 years ago
    Something tells me that the Brits are not going to emulate the Chinese in offering bikini clad cheerleaders at the Beach Volleyball matches (props to the commie menace for this enlightened innovation). If those California bellies and Brazilian booties are covered by T-shirts and shorts this year, interest in the sport will collapse, regardless of how well anyone plays.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion