tuscl

I Wish I Hadn't Slept Through European History Class

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:12 AM
I know this isn't Strip Club related per se, but it does, sort of, involve pretty girls. I heard a radio spot today urging everyone to come out to celebrate St. Patrick's Day at the Tilted Kilt pub. I've never been in the place, but I believe they're a Hooters type knock-off sports bar with pub food. Tell me where I'm wrong, because like I say - I didn't pay attention during my European history studies. Aren't kilts the dress of Scottish Highlanders? Don't the Scots and the Irish hate each other? Ergo, why is a Scottish themed sports bars celebrating a Irish holiday?

29 comments

• georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Kilts are not exclusively Scot attire. As for your last question, "because most Americans don't know the difference anyway, and it'll get them in and spending money." On a sadder note, the local Tilted Kilt closed before I could sample their fare.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Oh, and just FYI, the notion that the history of the British Isles should be included in "European" history might be offensive to some. :))
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Tilted Kilt; Is Hooters on steroids. Better furnishings, better food, hotter girls, and the kilts are very short, showing beautiful bare legs.
  • HB13
    12 years ago
    Tilted kilt beats the crap out of Hooters. Better beer, the short kilts are amazing & make the hooters tops look like trailer trash, and better food.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    I'll agree, the Tilted Kilt is much better than Hooters. At least their food is edible.
  • Rod8432
    12 years ago
    Our Tilted Kilts in the Atlanta area seem to be doing well. Agree with others that the food is w-a-y better and the girls hotter. Some serious 8 - 10s there (many with personality); the only thing that could make it better would be the girls giving naked giving lapdances after serving my Killian's.
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    At this Tilted Kilt joint are the waitresses properly 'commando' under their kilts?
    12 years ago
    Just got back from 3 hrs partying at my local Tilted Kilt. As been said good food and hot girls. Blows Hooters away. They advertise as Celtic themed. Irish, Scottish, and I don't recall the 3rd nationality but I'm sure it's on their website.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    I have enough Irish heritage to sound in on this one. My relatives in Ireland don't hate the Scots. We have better things to do. Kill the bastard English who continue to subjagate our land.
  • samsung1
    12 years ago
    There used to be a Hooter's up in Polaris area (here in Columbus). The Tilted Kilt opened up next door and within a couple years the Hooter's closed down.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    "Aren't kilts the dress of Scottish Highlanders?" Kilts are usually associated with Scotland but are not unknown in Ireland. The Scots and Irish are both Celtic people and both spoke Gaelic. If you look at a map, you will see that Ireland is very close to the coast of Scotland. People migrated back and forth. "Don't the Scots and the Irish hate each other?" In Northern Ireland, the many of the majority Protestants are of Scottish descent, and they have had conflicts with the Catholics, who are mostly Irish. I'm not aware of any great antagonism between Scotland and the Republic of Ireland.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Both love bagpipes.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Scottish Irish same difference
  • JacksonEsskay
    12 years ago
    Other Celtic people (the Bretons, for example) and other cultures have similar "multi-use" wrap type garments (the serape, for example). Norse invaders wore a pleated cloth wrap similar to the kilt, and it is likely from this fashion the "kilt" was developed. But as a rule, my Scots (NOT SCOTTISH) ancestors claim that the only true "kilt" is one that has the wearer's tartan (which, they would insist, can only be worn by a verified member of the clan). Kilts of this type were introduced only in the 16th Century and were originally a male-only form of clothing. The original garment was a coverall (a great kilt) that wrapped the whole body. The garment we think of as a kilt, that looks something like a pleated skirt, is called a walking kilt and dates from the 17th century.
  • JacksonEsskay
    12 years ago
    On a lighter note . . . none near me, but one is coming to the Richmond area soon!
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    They had green beer at Follies today. No kilts so I had to look at bare pussy, etc, etc, etc. :)
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    I have just dredged an old memory from my early-onset Alzheimer's brain. On my single visit to Ireland (R&R from a North Sea gig back in the 1970s) I spent an energetic evening in a very sketchy Dublin pub. I was enjoying the draft Guiness and the chat with the locals when I innocently injected the subject of St. Patrick into the conversation. WELL!! That pub happened to be a viper's nest of militant Irish nationalists who regarded St. Patrick as just one of the countless hated English interlopers who had made life miserable for the Irish for hundreds of years. I had the sense to keep my mouth shut after starting this outpouring of vitriol against the hated English. I shudder to think what might have happened to me if I hadn`t been speaking with a Canadian accent. I learned some expressive new curse words that night. I especially liked 'shiite'. If I had spoken Gaelic I am sure I would have learned many more. As an aside, I must tell you that Guiness pulled from a keg in a pub in Dublin is NOT the same liquid sold under the Guiness name in North America, a liquid which I maintain is totally undrinkable. One further aside, the high rise office building in Calgary housing my company`s offices is owned by the Guiness Family Trust.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Bummer, shadowcat LOL. Art, I am glad you walked out of the pub that night in one piece without injury, (other than wounded eardrums)
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Good story Art. An interesting note I read. The voice assistant on the newest iPhone cannot understand a Scottish brogue. Apple engineers say of all the languages of the world Siri has trouble with the Scottish accent.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @motorhead: If I had to guess, that trouble is *because* they treating it like an accent, instead of the actual separate language dialect that it probably should be.
  • sanitago
    12 years ago
    Art, I'm shocked you don't like the Guiness they serve here in North America. after all, it's brewed by Labatt's in your native Canada! ;)
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Foreign beers sold in the U.S. are never the same as the ones sold in their native countries. The alcohol content is modified to meet U.S. regulations. I developed a taste for Japanese beer while I was stationed in Japan for two years. A couple of litres of them could knock you on your ass. I have tried the U.S. version and it was like drinking flavored water. Yuk.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    That's why I like my Miller Light. It's the same wherever I go. :)
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    @sanitago: Just because I am a Canadian does not mean I am a lickspittle apologist for Canadian-based breweries. I have had a personal 'mad' on for Molson ever since they closed Calgary Brewing And Malting back in the 80s. Labatt produces mostly flavourless pap though I do enjoy Kokanee Gold and will stoop to regular Kokanee in a pinch. Alley Kat Brewing in Edmonton produces two superb beers, Aprikat and Charlie Flint's Lager. Big Rock Brewing in Calgary has a couple of worthwhile brews as well. But, for the best beers in Canada at the moment you just have to sample the offerings from the many craft brewers in Quebec.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    I was once surrounded by a group of thugs late at night in Belfast who demanded to know was I Catholic or protestant? Hard to know what the right answer might be under those circumstances. Also was accosted once for carrying the wrong newspaper.
  • Fenster
    12 years ago
    The safe answer would be "Jewish".
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    An Irish daughter had not been home for over 5 years. Upon her return, her father cussed her, "Where have ye been all this time? Why did ye not write to us?" Not even a line! Why didn't ye call? Can ye not understand what ye put yer Old Mother through?" The girl, crying, replied, "Sniff, sniff...Dad...I became a prostitute...". "Ye what!!? Out of here, ye shameless harlot! Sinner! You're a disgrace to this Catholic family!" "OK Dad--as ye wish. I just came back to give mum this luxurious fur coat, title deed to a ten bedroom mansion, plus a $5 million savings certificate. For me little brother, this gold Rolex. And for ye Daddy, the sparkling Mercedes limited edition convertible that's parked outside, plus a membership to the country club...............(takes a breath).............And an invitation for ye all to spend New Year's Eve on board my new yacht on the Riviera and......... "Now what was it ye said ye had become?" interrupts Dad. (Girl crying again) "Sniff, sniff...a prostitute Daddy! Sniff, sniff." "Oh! Be Jesus! Ye scared me half to death, girl! I thought ye said a PROTESTANT! Come here and give yer old Dad a hug,"
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    TK bills itself as a Scottish, Irish, and British pub. I'll agree that the food is better than Hooter's. Service can be spotty (some girls are like "look at my body and give a big tip for nothing"). A few times I had horrible service (girls putting stuff on the ticket that I didn't order, not bringing back change on large bills), so I complained to the franchise. They gave me a gift card, but I never cared to go back to the place. Maybe I'll give it away to someone on the TUSCL. There is a way better chain in TX/OK/CO/KS/NE/NM/LA/AZ rapidly expanding called Twin Peaks. It has a mountain lodge theme. The girls wear tiny white shorts and a tiny black-and-red checkered luberjack top. During holidays and special events, they can pick their own outfits which results in it being a lingerie-fest. It was hot.
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    One of my local club's 9's just started working at a TK. She must've not been making enough at the club. I think she killed off her repeat customers over a period of months with her ROB techniques. That is how I started avoiding her. My post called "Exit Strategy" was about her.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion