tuscl

We have it good in Detroit (SE MI). Wait.....let me clarify that.

georgebailey
Catalina
Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:29 AM
The economy sucks in Detroit, and SE Michigan as a whole. But these last five years the SCs are more fun than they have ever been. I've been in TX, AZ, OH, FL, and others ..... all of those great "right-to-strip" states. And the level of fun in SE MI is better than almost any of these places. This is not a discussion about quantity or quality. The other places are great too. My point is the situation can only go on for so long. If you want to experience great fun in SE MI clubs, go now. Because at some point the pendulum has to swing back in the other direction. It always does. I'm wishing it takes a long time, but eventually it will. Either an election, or some event that focuses public attention in this direction. You guys have been on here a lot longer than I have. What do you think?

18 comments

• vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Yes, the economy sucks in Michigan, and particularly in Detroit. The old lady is coming back, slow, but sure. And yes, eventually, strip clubs will be restricted here. It's happened before, it will happen again. I've been clubbing here since the early 90's. Detroit had an election year back then and passed a law and the clubs almost died. The clubs came back. Detroit passed another law last year and everyone thought that was the end again. It didn't happen. Politicians are politicians. The clubs will survive. It's only one city, and the county of Wayne, where most of the clubs are most likely won't ever restrict things. So party on!!!!
  • joesparty
    13 years ago
    Indeed, georgebailey. Unlike vincemichaels, I'm new to the Detroit scene. But if you can't find what you're looking for in metro Detroit, I'd venture a guess you can't find it anywhere. And at reasonable cost, too.
  • zorro
    13 years ago
    I'm from NC but I too will sing the praises of the Motor City. Great clubs, and to be honest, a great city that will definitely rise from the ashes. I always enjoy visiting there. Dreaming of Slow's BBQ right now....
  • georgebailey
    13 years ago
    Check out Union Woodshop in Clarkston, when you're here. Slows has a terrific edgy-ness, that's for sure. Woodshop has a better neighborhood (duh) and Kid Rock!
  • georgebailey
    13 years ago
    When you're in Detroit, try to spread the wealth among the SCs. You'll find they all have their attributes, but YMMV depending on the situation in that club. There are a few to avoid outright, but put together a list of your top five and rotate your action. I love Subi's and Hustler..... etc.
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    My preference, for what it's worth, has shifted. Toronto clubs have several advantages for everyone involved, except for maybe the club itself (?!?) Anyways, Toronto clubs have a flat $30 payout required of the dancer. No tip outs to bouncers, dj, house mom, etc. There is no bouncer keeping track of how many songs a dancer is in the VIP such that the club knows how much the dancer is making and what kind of a cut to expect. If a gal sells one lapper ($20), she's just about in the black for the night. Thereby dancers are incentivised because just about every dollar they gross they also net. It's all about negotiation and what the market will bear. Could that work against the buyer? Yes, but you can always be a tough negotiator and/or spend the money with someone else. I was able to get pretty far in Toronto quoting Detroit prices of $50/$100/$150. Which leads to ... Bouncing from club to club. With no cover, valet charge, VIP charge, or expected bouncer tips, the only expense at one club versus the next is the drink cost. Spend a half hour at a club and it sucks? You're only out the price of the drink (which are cheaper than what drinks cost in Detroit clubs). On the flip side, at the club for 3 hours and still on the same drink? There's no pressure to buy another in Toronto. Last month when I stopped in at Bogart's, within a half hour of arriving the bartender was on me to buy another eventhough I was only a third of the way into my first one. Perhaps the high pressure drink sales explains why there were almost no guys in the club at the time? So, spend for a passport and drive the three hours from Windsor to Toronto. You may even get a *cute guy* discount from a friendly Canadian gal like I did (never got one of those discounts at an American club! In fact, one American dancer replied "How about a beautiful girl markup?")
  • zorro
    13 years ago
    Hey, good to know about Union Woodshop, I'll have to try it when I head Up North. Ribs and Kid Rock sounds like a winner.
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    S.E. Michigan Fun is why I've running north of the border for some time!
  • bang69
    13 years ago
    i grew up in Se Mi. i agree the clubas are great. But like everything else they have there up's & downs
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Michigan is good?
  • mjx01
    13 years ago
    Although I haven't been to Toronto, I fully agree with CT. Plus laws in Canada are more condusive to two consenting adults enjoying them selves. Don't have to worry about pinched during a crack down in an American club.
  • georgebailey
    13 years ago
    Hey CT, I'm not so sure Toronto sounds great based on the review you wrote. I mean the experience was great, until the dancer turned ROB. Toronto has a lot of clubs. I bet if they could get away with cover they would ask for it.
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    Detroit is better than Paris--but only for strip clubs.
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    George, the opportunities in the Toronto clubs are there. The 'bleeding factor' experienced by a visitor due to club charges is much less than Detroit. The biggest negative in Toronto hands down is the terrible furniture -- but that's why one hires help to deal with it.
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    @zorro, Another guy who loves Slow's! I do, too. Surprisingly, it was a dancer from H8S that introduced me to Slow's over a year ago. She introduced me to many other Southern Michigan delights during the week I spent with her. That woman was the jolliest drinking buddy (for a woman) that I have ever encountered. Other jolly moments were spent with her as well. Not EVERY moment of my two year retirement was boring and miserable.
  • Jmoney007
    13 years ago
    i thought the ordinance would destroy the clubs but so far they are all surviving, witch i think is great because it just means "business" as usual hehehe.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    The churches are preparing to protest Detroit's lack of enforcement of the new laws. Stay tuned.
  • Jmoney007
    13 years ago
    its just a never ending cycle with the church people, this will all blow over by tax season next year. November and December are dry months for me anyways.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion