tuscl

New feature - Personalized Recommendations

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:54 PM
I think it would be pretty cool to be able to list your favorite clubs and then get recommendations of other clubs to consider. Amazon does this with books. Netflix does this with movies. I wonder if the same type of feature might work with clubs? Then again, I really enjoy Spearmint Rhino, Las Vegas and Hip Hugger, Kokomo, for example. Could there be two clubs more opposite?

13 comments

• muchfun
    13 years ago
    You have to read between the lines anyway and to be shure try yourself. So such automation doesn't help at all. I found number of reviews is the nearly most reliable indicator, if the ratings are not bad. Still don't happy after half an hour go somewhere else but one ten only can change everything another day.
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    Isn't that what the Hotlist is for? I thought that was for you to list your favorite clubs you would recommend to others on the site.
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Very interesting idea!
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    Spearmint Rhino, Las Vegas + Hip Hugger, Kokomo = Toronto, Ontario There -- I've computed it for you free of charge!
  • gillydon
    13 years ago
    You could use collaborative filtering - "people who liked the same clubs as you also gave high ratings to the following clubs ..." It would be funny if this were done at a dancer level. "Your favorites seem to be Kitten and Barbie. Other PLs who liked Kitten and Barbie also gave high ratings to Mercedes and Lola." Presumably this would implicitly end up matching on factors such as body type, mileage, overall type of experience.
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    My new feature. A way to edit a posting after the fact to correct typos. Most Forums I belong to offer that. Why NOT here?!?
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Should just import one of all ready fully developed message board packages. phpbb or something.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    "Should just import one of all ready fully developed message board packages. phpbb or something" "My new feature. A way to edit a posting after the fact to correct typos. Most Forums I belong to offer that. Why NOT here?!?" -- Alucard & Dougster. Yes!!! Yes!!! I've been saying that for years. Most other message boards seem to use the same format that you're familiar with. You can edit, respond, change fonts and colors, etc... Why is this so old fashioned! Did Founder just want to prove he could program this on his own rather than use one of the developed code packages?
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    I would miss all the unintentional humor from misspelling and typos. Less chance to make fun of people, too, lol.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    This isn't Amazon
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Well to be fair to Founder there are some considerations on bringing in an external message board package. First it appears he wants a tight integration between the discussion board and the rest of the site (by this I mean when you are on the discussion board you can easily jump to reviews by a poster or see his profile, and then back to the board). An external package would need to be evaluated to for this ability to integrate. (Although with source code it should be possible.) Also if he were to bring in phpbb or something the attack surface on the site increases to include all the message board's attack surface. (From recent threads, however, it's not clear if security of this site is that big a concern. I'm sure a talented hacker would be after much bigger targets than this board.)
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    If you need recommendations read the fucking reviews of the top 100 clubs! and I mean fucking reviews!
  • LeeH
    13 years ago
    Netflix "recommendations" are for shit. Amazon is a bit better, but if I catch you reading a book in a SC, I'm going to smack you. Probably most important, though, is what muchfun said -- you have to read between the lines of reviews; automation ain't gonna do nothing. If computers get smart enough to do that, we're WAAAAAAAAAY beyond screwed.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion